birthday thread

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 6th 2004, 6:16 pm

Sorry about your bad experience, Nothingman. Did that relationship end because of it? And I totally agree. That is a horrible thing for a woman to do to a man. (Men do it to women sometimes, too, but generally... it's more women.) I would NEVER NEVER NEVER do that to a boyfriend. (Of course, I'm only 22 - WAY too early!) If I want to marry a guy I'm dating, and I feel like it's the right time, I will ask him to marry me. That seems fair, doesn't it? And if you are going to get married, does it really matter who proposes? I don't think so. A former roommate of mine had a boyfriend a few years ago (she was 18, he was 20), and she was constantly hinting around to him what kind of ring she liked, blah blah blah. It really freaked me out because she was ONLY 18!!! What's the damn rush????

Anyway, happy birthday to those on Dec. 6th - back to the topic!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Dec 6th 2004, 6:34 pm

Kristin wrote:Sorry about your bad experience, Nothingman. Did that relationship end because of it?
I'll give the short answer, because after all, this is the birthday thread. But to answer the question, no. It ended because of other fundamental incapatbilities that would have lead to a bad marriage, including being to young, and that's the reason I never asked.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 6th 2004, 7:17 pm

happy belated birthday Sascha!! I'm really bad with keeping up with the birthdays.

my sophomore english teacher had a birthday early during the school year. she told us she was 29. we all laughed because that is what all women say after a certain age, right? imagine our embarrassment when it turned out she really was only 29! yikes!

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Dec 6th 2004, 7:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the b-day wishes! *Sigh*, my last twelve months of "twentysomething" have begun. Oh, soon I'm gonna be *old*...

Bleated birthday greeting ya YOUNG BUCK!! Now don't make me fly all that way to slap the old out of you!!!!! 30 is not OLD.... actually 50 is looking younger and younger all the time!

HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT ONE !!!
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 6th 2004, 7:41 pm

Honestly, at this point my boyfriend and I make Christmas lists that we share with our siblings and each other. It's not because we don't like to be surprised, but because after being together for ten years we have already bought each other so much stuff for birthdays, anniversaries, assorted holidays. We still like to surprise each other, but that's usually only one or two things. The majority of our gifts aren't surprises per se - I mean, he knows I love Buffy so he bought me a Buffy book last year. We tend to buy each other books, movies, CDs, and clothes. We know each other's tastes very well, so even when we buy each other stuff that isn't on the list, it usually isn't a HUGE surprise. We are also free to buy each other things that aren't on the list. We know that the list isn't a dictation like "You must buy this for me." It's more about narrowing down the possibilities from "everything in the world that I would like to receive" to "these things are at the top of my list." The surprise isn't the part I like best about giving a gift - it's about seeing how happy the person is to receive it. My sisters and I usually end up buying each other Christmas presents while we are shopping together. We still wrap them up and put them under the tree because we're dorks.

As for girls who badger their boyfriends for engagement rings, that bugs the crap out of me. I totally hear what NM is saying - this isn't just about a piece of jewelry. It's about deciding that this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. A lot of girls are caught up in that need to be engaged, whether it's for status, showing off the ring, or the need to find a way to sink their hooks deeper into their menfolk.

One of my best friends had a girlfriend who was relentless. She showed him a magazine article and said, "According to this, you should be buying me jewelry." When he bought his mom a bracelet for Mother's Day, his girlfriend offered to pick it up for him (it was on her way home from work and out of the way from where my friend worked). Then she showed up at his house and said, "I got one for your mom and one for myself," and then proceeded to tell everyone that he bought it for her. Needless to say, they are not together anymore.

Some people seem to think that being engaged makes the relationship immune to all problems. I'm not trying to put down being engaged, but a ring doesn't make all the bad stuff (or possibilities for bad stuff) go away. You can still be mean to each other, cheat on each other, break up, etc.

Anyway, what century is it that girls still feel they have to hint around? IF they want to get engaged, they can propose themselves. It's funny that despite all the supposed feminism, so many women feel compelled to stick to traditional roles i.e. "the man must propose to me."

Back to business though - happy birthday Sascha!

:bday:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Dec 6th 2004, 8:04 pm

Ha Ha Ha...yeah I asked my hubby out on our first date...and to marry me. I also went halfsies on our wedding badnds , and my "engagement" ring...NO DIAMONDS! I have a garnet because I love them... I think it was about 150, but I loved the look.

maybe we should create a new thread for this?

YOU STILL A YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER SASCH!
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 6th 2004, 8:23 pm

I started an engagement thread-->

http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3580
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 8th 2004, 4:38 am

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Kristin
Happy birthday to you!

:sunshine: :new-bday: :king:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Dec 8th 2004, 12:35 pm

:bday: Happy Birthday Kristin! :bday:

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Dec 8th 2004, 1:00 pm

:new-bday: Kristin!
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Dec 8th 2004, 1:18 pm

:new-bday: happy B day Kristin! :new-bday

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 8th 2004, 2:32 pm

Happy Birthday Kristin! :bday: :smilecolros: :bday:

Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Amika » Dec 8th 2004, 3:42 pm

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Kristin
Happy birthday to you!
Happy Birthday! :B-fly:

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 8th 2004, 9:31 pm

Thank you everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes! I am having a pretty low-key birthday this year. I have a lot of work to do (last week of classes), so that's what I'm doing. My boyfriend has a dress rehearsal tonight, so when he's done with that we'll go out for a dessert or something. Thanks again!

PS - today is the 24th anniversary of John Lennon's death (1980), the day that the US declared war on Japan (1941), the day that Lincoln proclamed amnesty and reconstruction (1863), and also the birthdays of Gregg Allman, Jim Morrison, Diego Rivera, and Sammy Davis Jr. AND ME!!!

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 8th 2004, 10:11 pm

By the way, I got those facts from history.com and famousbirthdays.com

~~Kristin~~