When Cover Songs Go Bad

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

When Cover Songs Go Bad

Post by lance » Aug 11th 2005, 11:00 pm

Hey all,

Topic may have already been covered but I have had this song trapped in my head all day and I needed to share when cover songs go bad...

Go here if you dare...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4793881

Paul Anka is interviewed on Fresh Air with Terry Gross. If you listen to the first minute or so you will hear first Van Halen's "Jump." Followed by Paul Anka's version.

:shock:

Oh my gawd...

I mean Mr. Anka does have a point that he and fellow Vegas style lounge singers don't have a new songbook to draw from so getting new stuff might be good for them. Having grown up in the 80s though...

It sounds so horrible wrong. And yet Paul Anka's version was stuck in my head at work all day.

[spoiler] I remember the Van Halen's video with members of the band jumping. I have this image in my head of Paul Anka singing his song and four guys in leisure suits jumping on stage behind him.[/spoiler]

(Shudder).

So what do you guys think? Any other horrendous cover song renditions you would recommend, I mean shun?

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 12th 2005, 2:15 am

Nope, we covered the opposite: best cover songs ever!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Aug 12th 2005, 10:31 am

One that I think should have never been done is 311's cover of 'Love Song' by the Cure. Its just wrong.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 30th 2005, 4:07 am

I had to come in here this morning and post on this thread because....

Paul Anka's album 'Rock Swings' was actually advertised on UK TV last night, during an episode of House. I nearly fell off my chair.... :shock: :sickgreen:
I couldn't hear the cover version of 'jump' on that radio broadcast, but you sure can hear it on the TV. Plus, you get to *see* Paul clicking his fingers and crooning 'jump' in glorious technicolour. That's followed up by a snip of his rendition of a Nirvana song (think it was Smells Like Teen Spirit) which is just criminal. In fact, it's all criminal.

Does he actually think he's going to sell any of these? Tell me the market isn't out there and someone made a really bad judgment call. It's that, or I've lost my faith in humanity.

But I'll give him this: it was certainly amusing. Oh my god yes.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

ThrozzyFoxx
Tino

Post by ThrozzyFoxx » Oct 5th 2005, 3:22 pm

have you ever heard Jump live??? It is incredible, i saw a David Lee Roth concert this past summer and I refused to leave until he played jump (which happened to be the last song, and it was already 12 and we had an hour drive) ... to think that some one would try to cover it makes me ill... though I do love Paul Anka, I really do.. I'm scared to hear it....

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 7th 2005, 11:56 pm

starbug wrote:I had to come in here this morning and post on this thread because....

Paul Anka's album 'Rock Swings' was actually advertised on UK TV last night, during an episode of House. I nearly fell off my chair.... :shock: :sickgreen:
I couldn't hear the cover version of 'jump' on that radio broadcast, but you sure can hear it on the TV. Plus, you get to *see* Paul clicking his fingers and crooning 'jump' in glorious technicolour. That's followed up by a snip of his rendition of a Nirvana song (think it was Smells Like Teen Spirit) which is just criminal. In fact, it's all criminal.

Does he actually think he's going to sell any of these? Tell me the market isn't out there and someone made a really bad judgment call. It's that, or I've lost my faith in humanity.

But I'll give him this: it was certainly amusing. Oh my god yes.
So now the horror spans continents. Indeed, "Oh the Humanity!"

ROFL! (in a painful way)

-LanceMan