Madeleine Peyroux

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Madeleine Peyroux

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 19th 2004, 5:26 am

Snipped from this thread:
GaryEA wrote:About five or six years ago, a jazz singer named Madeleine Peyroux came out with one album ("Dreamland") and then dropped off the face of the earth. She did a fantastic versions of "Walkin' After Midnight" and the Edith Piaf standard "Vie en Rose". Oh, Madeleine... where did you go? :cry:
candygirl wrote: :shock:
I LOVE Madeleine Peyroux!!

A few months ago I did a google search in hopes that she had done some new material and that I was just out of the loop, alas...mais non.

The most recent stuff I found was when she was on tour with Lilith Fair years ago, so she really did drop off the face of the earth.

:cry:

Darn shame because she was very talented. I hope she's happy wherever she is.
I just found out a few days ago that Madeleine Peyroux has finally released her second album, Careless Love, and is currently touring in small clubs. Of course this meant I had to immediately go to the record store and find a copy. I was lucky enough to find out about her tour right before she hit my area, so I saw her perform live tonight. Awesome (say it like Kim in TMATISOTTW). She is definitely the kind of artist who is even better live.

She also has a duet album called Got You on My Mind with William Galison (a harmonica player). It's supposed to be really good, but the two record stores I went to today didn't have any copies in stock.

:evil:

For more information:
http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 4th 2005, 3:06 pm

You can purchase Got You on My Mind at Waking Up Music. The reason this album wasn't available in stores initially was because Rounder Records regarded it as a demo and went to court to keep it from being released (it was recorded before she signed with Rounder and recorded Careless Love). It's now available at amazon and other retailers.

I was lucky enough to see her perform again when I was in Los Angeles last fall. She and her band were incredible. She is now touring at larger venues (which means higher prices). I wouldn't pay $60 to see her at once of the jazz festivals she is playing, but if she comes around again for less than that, I'd love to see her again.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 4th 2005, 5:51 pm

She is being pushed quite strongly in the UK at the moment - TV adverts etc. It's much the same as Norah Jones was a couple of years ago (I mean the marketing drive, not Madeline). And that definitely led to Norah becoming a quiet-music mega-star.

I had never heard any of her stuff until I saw this TV advert that is being run at the moment, and I am pretty much blown away by her voice. When I have a moment I will try to download her album (iTunes, of course...legal, of course...).

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 7th 2005, 7:11 pm

Interestingly, I don't think she's being pushed much here at all, much to my dismay. The only big thing I've seen is Starbucks selling Careless Love, but I haven't seen any tv ads or really any sort of marketing here for her aside from interviews and performance reviews.

If you can get a copy of Got You on My Mind, it's well worth it. I like it better than Careless Love! If you can't find it in stores over in the UK or it's an expensive import, let me know and we'll work something out.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 6th 2006, 7:10 am

I just read this article in the Wall Street Journal that says Madeleine has a new album coming out in September - woo hoo!
In Production
Madeleine Peyroux
May 5, 2006; Page B3

The Project: Singer Madeleine Peyroux's voice has been likened by some critics to Billie Holiday's and her blend of jazz, folk and blues to the music of Norah Jones. Ms. Peyroux's as-yet-untitled new album, due out Sept. 12 on Rounder Records, may expand her musical boundaries -- and her audience. The album is expected to offer eclectic musical collaborations, including a duet with country singer k.d. lang.
[In Production]
Singer Madeleine Peyroux

The Buzz: Larry Klein, producer of the new record, says Ms. Peyroux is working on it with an "expanded palette." The songs she is considering for inclusion are wildly diverse. The album is scheduled to feature new interpretations of some widely known songs, including "Summer Wind." Francophiles may be drawn in by a planned rendition of Serge Gainsbourg's "La Javanaise."

The Outlook: In the past few years there has been a burst of popular interest in jazzy female singers such as Ms. Jones, Cassandra Wilson and Diana Krall. Ms. Peyroux's previous CD, "Careless Love," was a critical and commercial hit, and it sold more than a million copies world-wide. For her new CD, she has co-written several tracks with Jesse Harris, who worked on "Careless Love" as well as Ms. Jones's breakthrough debut, "Come Away With Me."