What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 12th 2005, 1:34 pm

Next, I'm going to pick up some music related to Garden State, Zach Braff's movie. He's the star of Scrubs. The movie's soundtrack is awesome -- the Shins, Frou Frou, etc

I highly recommend this soundtrack TomSpeed!

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 12th 2005, 5:16 pm

Garden State's music is one of the best soundtracks i have heard in a really long time. I esp. love (sorry don't know the name) the song that is played at the beginning credits. Sooo good! Zach said that he heard the song from his brother's alarm clock.(If anyone has watched the special features- sorry for repeating) Where can I buy one??? :)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 12th 2005, 5:21 pm

You can buy one pretty much anywhere - Best Buy, Amazon.com, any cd store. I got mine at Barnes & Noble.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 12th 2005, 5:23 pm

The first song on the soundtrack is Coldplay - Don't Panic
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 12th 2005, 5:23 pm

Kristin wrote:You can buy one pretty much anywhere - Best Buy, Amazon.com, any cd store. I got mine at Barnes & Noble.
Oh... opps not what I meant... I was talking about the alarm clock... sorry :oops:
The first song on the soundtrack is Coldplay - Don't Panic
So... they don't have the plane song?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 12th 2005, 5:37 pm

TooCool4Skool wrote:Oh... opps not what I meant... I was talking about the alarm clock... sorry
:lol: Hey no problem! Maybe it was an alarm clock-radio, and when the alarm went off the song was on the radio? (I haven't watched the special features yet...) I've seen CD-alarm clocks at Target... where you put a CD before you go to sleep and when your alarm goes off the CD starts, not a buzzing/beeping noise. Those seem pretty cool, but the beeping is the only thing that works for me.

The soundtrack is all pop music - there is no "background" instrumental music that may be heard during the movie. The (Asian?) song heard during the opening - when the plane is crashing but Andrew feels nothing - is not on the soundtrack. Perhaps they will come out with an original instrumental score soundtrack later. Baz Luhrmann's Romeo+Juliet did that - first there was the pop music soundtrack, then the instrumental score soundtrack came out sometime later.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 12th 2005, 6:18 pm

Here is a quote from Zach's Blog about the first song on the movie:
The song at the beginning over the plane crash is a Hindu prayer to Ganesh. I heard it and thought it was both haunting and beautiful at the same time.

The reason Alexi Murdoch's song "Orange Sky" isn't on the soundtrack is because it was on the soundtrack to a popular show on the Fox network entitled, "The O.C." I haven't seen this program, but as I understand it, it's about a young woman who wants to go to rabbinical school but is forbidden since she is a woman. So she dresses up like a man - wait no, that's "Yentl". S**t. I'm not sure what it's about, but anyway the soundtrack folks decided to leave it off.
And here is a link to that site:
http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/gardenst ... index.html
Last edited by schris on Feb 15th 2005, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Feb 5th 2005, 8:14 am

Recently I picked up Sean Callery's original soundtrack for 24, featuring some of his more memorable selections from the first three seasons. The characters of 24 are perpetually on the move, so it's no surprise that Callery's work makes for some good driving tunes. Every time I hear it I can almost see those multiple camera-angle cutscenes playing out in my mind.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 5th 2005, 1:19 pm

I meant to post about this before, but I guess I never did. One thing that is always getting played on my mp3 player is the Bloc Party EP. They have their first full length coming out this month, I recommend EVERYONE to check this band out they are amazing. IIRC there are some song samples on their site: http://www.blocparty.com

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 9th 2005, 6:17 pm

The other day I went to a cd store and bought:

Ani Difranco - Knuckle Down & Imperfectly
Tool - Opiate
Wilson Pickett - Greatest Hits
Stravinsky - The Firebird, Petroushka, & Fireworks

and the cashier said to me, "Are these all for you?"
Me: "Yes they are..."
Cashier: "Very diverse choices - you like different stuff..."
Me: "Depends on what mood you are in, I guess!"

:lol: :lol:

~~Kristin~~

crimson-glow
Jody Barsh

Post by crimson-glow » Apr 3rd 2005, 2:53 am

Music I listen to. Well...

cursive
death from above 1979
brand new
minus the bear
the stills
the postal service
the arcade fire
death cab for cutie
the used
straylight run
interpol
30 seconds to mars
- " It just seems like, you agree to have a certain personality or something. For no reason. Just to make things easier for everyone. But when you think about it, I mean, how do you know it's even you?" - Angela Chase

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 11th 2005, 3:47 am

The other morning I got in my car to drive to work and accidently misdialed my radio as I was trying to tune in to NPR -- and there was this song, this incredibly great song playing ... I later googled the lyrcs: I found the words, but not the artist. Anyway, it's a great song, and it would make me happy to hear it again, does anybody recognize this song, or know the artist? The google search was titled "Kansas City", but I'm not sure that's the artist, the song may or may not be titled "Real Life." Thanks for any help you can give!!
Some nights I thirst for real blood, for real knives, for real cries. And then the flash of steel from real guns in real life really fills my mind. Then I really miss what really did exist when I held your throat so tight. And I miss the bus as it swerved from us and almost came crashing to its side. Sometimes the blood from real cuts feels real nice when it’s really mine. And if you want it to be real, come over for a night, we can really, really climb, and those blue bridge lights might really burn most bright while we watch that dark lake rise. And if you really want to see what really matters most to me, we can just take a real short drive. Just a drive into the dark stretch, long stretch of night, will really stretch this shaking mind. And this room, unlit, unheated, and the ceiling striped, and the dark black blinds.... I want to know this time if you’re really finally mine. I need to know that you’re not lying, and so I want to see you tried. And I don’t want to hear you say it shouldn’t really be this way, because I like this way just fine. And there’s nothing quite like the blinding light when that curtain’s cast aside, and no attempt is made to explain away the things that really, really, really are behind.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 11th 2005, 12:18 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:Anyway, it's a great song, and it would make me happy to hear it again, does anybody recognize this song, or know the artist?
The song is titled For Real and it's by a band called Okkervil River. Here is the website I found for them:

http://www.jound.com

You have to click on the top right icon - that's for Okkervil River. What will come up then is a tour page - click anywhere on the page. It will take you to a homepage for the band, from there you can navigate through the mp3s/songs to hear For Real. Hope that helps!

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 11th 2005, 1:57 pm

Wow Kristin, you're the BEST! Thanks so much, now I have to see if I can get it on iTunes!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 11th 2005, 5:33 pm

Your welcome Jody! I had never heard of the band or the song before, but I liked it - it's a very chill mood with some pretty intense lyrics. Good luck with the iTunes thing - I'm not there yet with technology... perhaps as a graduation gift I can get an iPod.

~~Kristin~~