What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
echinacea
Frozen Embryo

What Are You Listening to?

Post by echinacea » Dec 27th 2007, 2:46 am

I spend a lot of time listening to music, humming, having something in my head, or *giggles* suddenly thinking of a song based on the last thing someone said or did. So what are you listening to, right now? a lot in the last few days? something that has fused to the neural synapses in your brain so that sometimes when you speak you notice it is a lyric? funny stories should accompany this post...because music makes us feel because it relates to people, moments, emotions, other creatures and nonliving things as well. It has this strange power, something in sound waves make them so powerful that they are beyond scientific reason :)

I was recently listening to Merissa Nadler: Mountain Home (beautiful sound but some very melodramatic lyrics about death) and Thee More Shallows(I dont know the singer but he has this deep voice that scared me when it changed from Merissa to him). It is a burned cd from one of my most beloved friends and she told me that she knew I would love it, hah, she knows me so well. when i listen to it i think of her and the s**t she has been through and her in her friends dorm room sobbing about it because a class discussion reminded her of her dead friends. and i think of how amazing her personality is for everything that has happened, she is truly my sunshine, my only sunshine (we have a picture of us where she told me it looked like one of those pictures you have taken in a some melodramatic film and one of the members of the picture is dead. and then i made a joke by singing the sunshine song, we laughed). and it makes me think of consumerism. it makes me think of death, but not in a bad way just that it happens but it is a beautiful process to live and die.

-N :shock:
"But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'who in the world am I?' Ah that's the great puzzle!" -Lewis Carrol, Alice and Wonderland

Christina_in_color
Nicky Driscoll

Re:

Post by Christina_in_color » Jan 14th 2008, 3:57 pm

Walter Paisley wrote:The Clash will always have a place in my heart.
Me too! When I put on The Essential Clash DVD in the background or listen to any of their music while trying to do something else, I always end up abandoning my task to dance and sing along. The Clash were/are special. For me, they can never be topped.

But The Aracade Fire are pretty damn fabulous as well. I left my job to go back to college and therefore have no money for music. I haven't picked up their second album, but I'm looking forward to the day when "Neon Bible" graces my music collection.

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Re: What are lifers listening to these days?

Post by Tish » Apr 11th 2009, 8:30 pm

I'm into old school punk ( and some "middle school punk) like The Ramones, The Damned, Sex Pistols, early Blondie, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, Buzzcocks, The Slits, The Runaways, Iggy Pop/The Stooges, Pennywise, Offspring, AFI, Rancid, NOFX, Adicts--and Nirvana, Bowie, Velvet Underground,, New York Dolls, Babes In Toyland and more. I really like the song "Late At Night" by Buffalo Tom from the episode Self Esteem, one of my favourite episodes.
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 15th 2009, 3:39 am

Love NOFX! I saw them play forever ago.

Decemberists fans, how are you liking Hazards of Love? I'm playing "The Rakes' Song" nonstop, but I'm not at the point yet where I'm listening to the entire album all the way through, which I'm feeling guilty about. Is their new tour going to be a staged performance of the album? From what little I've read, it seems like no, but is anyone more in the know?

5/9/09: Love the album now. It took a while to hear and love the new sound(s), but now I'm there. "Queen's Rebuke" is awesome, and I love that the female's songs seem to have the harder rock sound overall. This would be a great thing for someone to animate!!

"Annan Water' and the fourth "Hazards of Love" are constantly on repeat now.
It's funny how sometimes it takes so long to love somethign that you end up loving so much. Years ago, when my friend first gave me the Shins to listen to, I couldn't stand it, but I trusted him, kept it in my car for two weeks, and then I heard it. And I was hooked. It wasn't the scene in Garden State, and it didn't change my life, but good job Ali. I did show up to buy their other albums.
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Sep 27th 2009, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

What's On Yr iPOD/CD Player?

Post by Tish » May 27th 2009, 10:47 pm

Moderator note: merged with existing topic

What fave songs are on everybody's iPod or CD player?

Here are some of mine.'

On Tish's iPod:
Bang a gong/t.rex
My Way/Sid Vicious
Your Song/elton john
various artists/Velvet Goldmine soundtrack
wishing you were here/chicago
best sunday dress/hole
queens of noise/runaways
so tough/the slits
blitzkrieg bop/the ramones
john wayne/billy idol
rebel yell/billy idol
lust for life/iggy pop
1970/the stooges
jumping jack flash/the stones
sunday morning/velvet underground and nico
brass in pocket/pretenders
perfect day/lou reed
white rabbit/jefferson airplane
hanging on the telephone/blondie
over under sideways down/yardbirds
(white man)in hammersmith palais/clash
neat neat neat/damned
born to lose/johnny thunders and the heartbreakers
and 300+ more songs
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

Cami A.
Catalano

Re: What's On Yr iPOD/CD Player?

Post by Cami A. » May 28th 2009, 12:00 am

This is quite atypical of my iPod (usually it's filled with Leonard Cohen, Tracy Chapman, and some R&B and Hip Hop), but I'm currently feeding an obsession with the TV series "The L Word" so I picked up an Uh Huh Her CD (Leisha Hailey who plays Alice on "The L Word" is a member of this band). So I have a few songs from Uh Huh Her's "Common Reaction" album on my iPod, plus some random songs that were used in L word episodes, such as: "Brother" by The Organ, and "Lonely, Lonely" By Feist.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 15th 2009, 12:10 pm

I've been listening pretty heavily to female vocalists: Nancy Sinatra, Mirah, the Donnas, to name a few. Even though she came on a bit before my time, Nancy Sinatra's music, personality, looks, and general vibe presses my buttons. I've also been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash's songs, esp. his live prison records.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 15th 2009, 2:10 pm

A couple of people mentioned Fiona Apple, no one has ever hated her more than I did and then a co-worker gave me a copy of Extraordianry Machine...and I hated it. Then for some reason I played it again, then again...then after 4 or 5 plays I really got into it and began to realize the genius of it! So go check it out if you haven't, but give it a while to seep in if it doesn't right away.

Like a lot of you guys I listen to a lot of different types of music. Props to whoever mentioned Queen, 311 and Counting Crows!

Oh, and a special shout out to whoever mentioned Opeth from my husband, that is his all-time favorite band!

Lyrics are my thing...I am mostly into female singer/songwriters. In my past life I travelled the country and wrote great songs and played the guitar, or maybe piano. The things that are popular today worry me...Lady Gaga, are you F$#%ing kidding me? NO, I DO NOT WANT TO RIDE ON YOUR DISCO STICK! But thanks.

I read through every post on this thread hoping to maybe find my favorite singer, Beth Hart. I think some of you would really like her based on what else you are listening to. Anyone familiar with her that may have forgotten to mention her?? lol! She has several albums but had a radio hit in the 90's called LA Song, if you go check it out chances are you will at least sort of recognize it. If anyone checks her out let me know what you think. Some songs to start with are 'Hiding Underwater, Broken & Ugly, Mama, Good As It Gets, or Soul Shine"

I also love Rachael Yamagata, that Velvet Revolver song 'Fall To Pieces,' Ben Harper, Michael Franti w/ Spearhead(AWESOME LIVE SHOW), Sublime, Pink(don't judge lol!), Chantal Kreviazuk, The Black Crowes, old school Bon Jovi....and I may or may not have a few Meat Loaf songs on my ipod. :P
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

shanna-irl
Tino

Post by shanna-irl » Aug 15th 2009, 7:20 am

4alifetime wrote: Lyrics are my thing...I am mostly into female singer/songwriters. In my past life I travelled the country and wrote great songs and played the guitar, or maybe piano. The things that are popular today worry me...Lady Gaga, are you F$#%ing kidding me? NO, I DO NOT WANT TO RIDE ON YOUR DISCO STICK! But thanks.
:lol: Finally someone who doesn't like Lady Gaga, her music just doesn't do it for me.
I'm into so many different types of music, but I keep going back to my old favourites, The Eagles, Counting Crows, Chantel Kreviazuk (fell in love with her voice after she had a song on the "Dawson's" soundtrack), Alison Krauss (loved the "Raising Sand" album with Robert Plant) Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Hootie and the Blowfish, The Waterboys, Heart, Def Leppard, Meatloaf, Crowded House, Jon Secada, etc, etc, etc.

I think I was born too late :lol:

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Aug 21st 2009, 10:19 am

Me either Shanna! I even have a hard time looking at her! We definitley like some of the same music! I think I was born too late also, LOL! It's nice to "meet" you!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 15th 2010, 11:12 am

Just discovered that I'm a Kate Miller-Heidke fan. She's touring with Ben Folds right now, and was awesome live. Her voice is incredible, her songs are beautiful or hysterically funny (I love that she sings them with such a straight face), and she's so beautiful herself it's hard to take your eyes off her. She was really cool when we talked with her after the show, and after two days, I definitely know the cd by heart (but I had to have my students explain 'poking' from the facebook song!).
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 16th 2010, 7:15 am

Jody, the FB song is freaking HILARIOUS! I confess I haven't listened to any of the rest of her stuff since that video made the rounds.

I thought you taught high school. How do these kids now know what FB pokes are? Then again, no one I know uses the pokes anymore so maybe I'm dating myself.

:oops:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 16th 2010, 10:39 am

Yeah, I asked my 10th graders. They all thought it was a pretty stupid thing to do, so I don't know how often they use it, but they did know the option to poke someone exists. Then of course they spent ten minutes trying to get me to let them show me -- they just love that they know how to use proxy servers to get past the filters -- which now block EVERYTHING: MSCL? Blocked. KCRW? Blocked. Audio downloads from the public library? Blocked. Then this lead to a girl telling me that I needed to start reading MmyLifeisAverage.com (which I actually have), saying that the reason she doesn't sleep anymore is because she's up reading people's posts.

Don't let sixth period get off topic, it can go forever :mrgreen:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 17th 2010, 6:15 am

Haha, I totally misread your previous post and thought that YOU were explaining FB pokes to THEM and thought that was crazy!

As true as it is in real life as it is online, once you start to wander off topic, it can be difficult to get everyone back!

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Oct 12th 2010, 1:37 pm

Lately, I just can't stop listening to Imogen Heap - she's amazing! A number of her songs fit in very well with MSCL, too. Take Goodnight and Go for example:

Skipping beats, blushing cheeks, I am struggling.
Daydreaming bed scenes in the corner cafe
And then I'm left in bits, recovering tectonic tremblings
You get me every time.

Why'd you have to be so cute?
It's impossible to ignore you.
Must you make me laugh so much?
It's bad enough we get along so well.

This has Angela's early season obsession with Jordan written all over it!

The Moment I Said It is a song of mistrust and betrayal. Yeah, it obviously fits in.

Speeding Cars. . .hmm, let's see:

There, there baby it's just textbook stuff
It's in the ABC's of growing up.
Now, now darling, oh don't lose your head
'Cause none of us were angels
and you know I love you, yeah.

Yup, check that one off, too.

If cell phones had really been around back in the MSCL era, then Half Life would have been perfect:

My self-worth measured in text-back tempo
It's been two days and eight minutes too slow.

Please don't tell me that doesn't describe Angela to a T. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my little Imogen deconstruction. But don't just take my word for it. Go listen to her yourself. Right now!