What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Feb 14th 2006, 4:48 am

Keane - Hopes and Fears
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Aug 20th 2006, 3:34 pm

Zach Braff and his Garden State soundtrack were mentioned about a year and a half ago on this thread, so on that note...

I bought The Last Kiss soundtrack a couple of weeks ago the day it came out. The Last Kiss is Zach's new movie that comes out in September. I am super looking forward to this movie - some of it was filmed in my hometown: Madison, Wisconsin. ANYWAY --- the soundtrack is INCREDIBLE. I venture to say better than Garden State soundtrack. Well, at least a sequel. A few of the artists are pretty safe choices (Coldplay, Aimee Mann) but the rest are so so so good. Particularly Joshua Radin (breakout star for sure!) and Imogen Heap. Snow Patrol is getting a lot of notice for their song "Chocolate" on the soundtrack right now.

Another CD I just bought recently is Ani Difranco's new album Reprieve. Really breathtaking stuff on this one. It has your typical blend of personal and political lyrics set to Ani's intricate guitar work and expert orchestration and harmonization. Todd Sickafoose's bass playing is worth noting.

Also I bought Ben Harper's new double-album Both Sides of the Gun. It came out several months ago (March, I think), but it's new to me. The first disc is very mellow and beautiful, and the second is more agressive. At the moment, I'm into the first disc more.

An oldie I've pulled out quite a bit lately is Mirah's Advisory Committee. It's from 2001. I especially like "Cold Cold Water".
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

The Last Kiss

Post by Sascha » Sep 3rd 2006, 1:56 pm

SanDeE* wrote:Zach Braff and his Garden State soundtrack were mentioned about a year and a half ago on this thread, so on that note...

I bought The Last Kiss soundtrack a couple of weeks ago the day it came out. The Last Kiss is Zach's new movie that comes out in September. I am super looking forward to this movie - some of it was filmed in my hometown: Madison, Wisconsin. ANYWAY --- the soundtrack is INCREDIBLE. I venture to say better than Garden State soundtrack. Well, at least a sequel. A few of the artists are pretty safe choices (Coldplay, Aimee Mann) but the rest are so so so good. Particularly Joshua Radin (breakout star for sure!) and Imogen Heap. Snow Patrol is getting a lot of notice for their song "Chocolate" on the soundtrack right now.
I totally agree. This is an amazing soundtrack, kudos to Zach Braff for such a great selection. Lots of amazing songs and everyone who liked the "Garden State" soundtrack will also like this one. I just bought an (excellent) album by Imogen Heap a few weeks ago and I was amazed to find her "Hide and Seek" on this soundtrack. And Fiona Apple's "Paper Bag" ... wow.
Joshua Radin reminds me a bit of Simon & Garfunkel, especially the "Star Mile" song.

I saw the original "L'Ultimo Bacio" ("The Last Kiss" is a remake of it) a few weeks ago and it's a great movie IMHO. It's a fascinating "thirtysomething angst" or "quarter life crisis" movie and very true to life. It's about finally growing up and making those important life-changing decisions about marriage, children and so on. If you don't mind subtitles, it's really worth seeing. It won't be easy for the US remake to measure up to this original version, but Zach Braff is certainly an excellent choice for the main character.

BTW, Zach Braff's new website is worth a visit. There's also some "behind the scenes" material available on iTunes.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 3rd 2006, 11:59 pm

Sandee, that's really funny because I bought the Last Kiss soundtrack the same day as I bought Ani DeFranco's new album too! I don't buy cds much anymore, but those are both really great and haven't left my player since I got them!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 17th 2006, 3:23 pm

SanDeE* wrote:I bought The Last Kiss soundtrack a couple of weeks ago...
Just a quick follow-up: Zach Braff hosted a little radio show on 103.1 (Los Angeles) earlier this month with artists from the "Last Kiss" soundtrack. A video stream of this session is now available for free at rehearsals.com. It features live performances by RACHAEL YAMAGATA, SCHUYLER FISK, CARY BROTHERS, IMOGEN HEAP and an exclusive reunion of REMY ZERO. Really worth checking out.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 18th 2006, 6:21 pm

Thanks Sascha. I've been an avid reader of Zach's blog ever since it was the Garden State blog. I remember he wrote about the radio show - I think it was about two weeks ago - and I intended to listen to it over the internet, but I went out of town at the last minute. I will definitely check out the link - Thanks!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 18th 2006, 10:35 pm

My boyfriend got The Last Kiss soundtrack a few weeks ago and although I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, I like it so far. On a related note, I read The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Zach Braff's brother, Joshua, about a year ago and really liked it.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Videodrome
Tino

Favorite bands and Artists.

Post by Videodrome » Jan 6th 2007, 6:01 pm

My favorite music artists are, Hooverphonic, Sarah Mclachlan, The Cardigans, Fiona Apple, Heather Nova, and Depeche Mode.
Long Live the New Flesh

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

The October Project

Post by Brunkster » Mar 21st 2007, 1:13 am

Check this band out. Haunting melodies and beautiful harmonies weave together to create a lush acoustic soundscape. Like MSCL, this band died an early death when their label dropped them in the 90's. . .BUT, they reformed and produce their own music now. MSCL didn't really die, and neither did The October Project.

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

OK, you MUST check this out

Post by Brunkster » Mar 23rd 2007, 11:13 am

Want to hear Toto's 'Africa' like you've never heard it before? Head to the following youtube page and scroll down to it. . .it is usually near the top. This guy has some incredible acoustic guitar skills. Check out his other songs, too. Any favorites?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=andy+mckee

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Mar 24th 2007, 12:07 am

Most of my taste in music is hard rock but i'm a huge fan of Jeff Scott Soto. He's the new lead singer for Journey but he's been in the music business for 20 years.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 19th 2007, 2:01 pm

Jody is probably the only person who might be interested in this, but I just ordered the new remastered version of The Himalayans - She Likes the Weahter, from Adam's new label Tyrannosuarus Recods. It's only $10 and I can't wait to hear the cleaned up versions.

A bit of background for everyone else. The Himalayans are the band Counting Crows lead singer, Adam Duritz, was in a LONG time ago. They only made one album and it was really rough. They've now gone back and cleaned up the recordings.

http://www.tyrannosaurusrecords.net/index.php?pg=19
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 24th 2007, 10:51 pm

Nothingman wrote:Jody is probably the only person who might be interested in this, but I just ordered the new remastered version of The Himalayans - She Likes the Weahter, from Adam's new label Tyrannosuarus Recods. It's only $10 and I can't wait to hear the cleaned up versions.
Yeah!!! I'll totally have to look that up!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » May 10th 2007, 3:15 pm

since so many people wrote about Garden State, I just wanted to mention that I got to meet Cary Brothers at one of his shows in NY a couple of weeks ago. luckily my friend is a fan of all of his musician friends so we had some things to talk about for a bit. I don't know, it was fun. :P

Walter Paisley
Frozen Embryo

Post by Walter Paisley » Jul 8th 2007, 5:34 am

The Clash will always have a place in my heart, but lately I've been listening to a lot of Guster, Arcade Fire, and TV On The Radio.

Floating around the top of the list as well:
the Replacements
the Talking Heads
the Pixies
Big Star
I want to pull it apart and put it back together.
I want to relive all my adolescent dreams.
Inspired by true events on movie screens,
I am a one man wrecking machine.