What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 3rd 2005, 4:38 am

In a shamefully foolish move of mine, I recently acquired (I'm much too ashamed to admit to actually purchasing it) an Emo rock cover album of Smiths songs titled How Soon is Now. (I don't know why I did this -- I've always shyed away from the Leonard Cohen tribute album for fear of people ruining my beloved songs. I mean, it takes a conscious effort for me to enjoy the slower version of Mr. Jones, and it's still Adam singing it!) This is not to say that I am as a rule against cover songs, I usually enjoy them. I do love my Before you were Punk album, I've always been a fan of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and I'll always assert that the Fugees do a better No Woman No Cry than Marley... But in this case, I only made it through the first bits of two songs and my heart was already broken. I was appalled, sitting there reading liner notes of these bands gushing about the Smiths while listening to them butcher Girlfriend in a Comma and Frankly Mr. Shankly. Thank Darwin Please Please Please, and Hand in Glove didn't make it on the album; I don't know if I can risk hearing what they've done to There is a Light That Never Goes Out. I'll try to give the album a few more chances, but it is NOT looking good.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

CanyonCrow
Tino

Post by CanyonCrow » Jul 3rd 2005, 8:21 am

Smiths cover album? Trash. Morrissey and Marr made The Smiths work. I don't know why people keep covering How Soon Is Now. You can't. The Smiths are perfect, untouchable in anyway. And Leonard Cohen is a awesome. That is all.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 3rd 2005, 11:50 am

CanyonCrow wrote:Smiths cover album? Trash. Morrissey and Marr made The Smiths work. I don't know why people keep covering How Soon Is Now. You can't. The Smiths are perfect, untouchable in anyway. And Leonard Cohen is awesome. That is all.
Here Here!!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

season
Liberty High Student

Madeleine Peyroux

Post by season » Aug 4th 2005, 9:20 am

Has anyone heard of Madeleine Peyroux? Heavy influence of Billy Holiday. Gorgeous voice.

I like I'll Look Around', 'This is Heaven To Me' and her current single 'Don't Wait Too Long', you can see the video here:

http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com/index.php?id=video.php

Enjoy.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 4th 2005, 2:57 pm

FYI - there is a Madeleine Peyroux thread here. I'm glad someone else here likes her!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 4th 2005, 5:54 pm

At the moment, I'm enjoying James Blunt's album 'Back to Bedlam'. It took a few listens to get into the weirdness of his voice, but it's worth the effort.

Also, Velvet Revolver (yeah, I know...but I like it!) following our chance meeting at Auckland airport. I felt obliged to check them out. I'm full of shame that I'd never heard of them, me being a big GNR fan :oops: . That's what having your head in big books of study will do!

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Aug 16th 2005, 9:34 pm

+1 for Madeline Peyroux. A voice that time forgot.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 17th 2005, 1:24 am

In a similar vein, I have also been listening to Renee Olstead. She has a great sexy jazzy voice - I can't believe she's only 15!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 17th 2005, 3:09 am

candygirl wrote:In a similar vein, I have also been listening to Renee Olstead. She has a great sexy jazzy voice - I can't believe she's only 15!
Indeed. I liked the song on the radio, but didn't know she was just 15 -- imagine my surprise when I saw a concert with her on TV (a recording from a Jazz festival in Zurich)... :shock: Joss Stone is a similar surprise - she was just 16 when her first album hit the stores. It's really amazing what a great voice these kids already have at that age.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 17th 2005, 3:25 am

No kidding! I saw old video footage of Jessica Simpson singing when she was in high school and she had a pretty decent voice. Now she has two modes of singing: breathy whiny crap (like her covers of Take My Breath Away or These Boots Were Made for Walking) and insane wailing/caterwauling. What happened to her?

It's amazing that Renee Olstead is so young, stars on a sitcom, has an incredible voice, and does stuff like go on tour with B.B. King.

lecter5761
Tino

Post by lecter5761 » Sep 14th 2005, 3:14 pm

On a related note, isn't it depressing when you remember a band from high school or college (some of the bands featured on mscl might qualify), or any other important time in your life then go do a search on Google or whatever and find that the band either no longer exists or one of the members died, or something?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 14th 2005, 8:32 pm

This summer I listened to quite a bit of hip hop because my brother is really into it and I hung out with him a lot. He introduced me to a great artist named John Legend. His first album came out last year: Get Lifted. It's a mix of old school soul, R&B, and hip hop. Really great debut album!

I've also been listening to Charlie Hunter. He's a jazz/funk/jam guitarist. But he plays a custom made 8-string guitar: the bottom three strings are BASS strings and the top five are guitar strings. So he actually plays the bass & guitar parts simultaneously on the same instrument. Crazy! I haven't seen him live, but I saw a dvd of one of his concerts and it's amazing. I can't believe he has the same amount of fingers as I do --- seems like he should have more.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

ThrozzyFoxx
Tino

Post by ThrozzyFoxx » Sep 19th 2005, 7:11 pm

would you like the short list??/ Tough luck... here are some of the ones I enjoy...

(Firstly) LiveonRelease, Our Lady Peace, Barenaked Ladies, Styx, Van Halen, The Monkees, P!NK.

(In no specific order)

Colette Trudeau, Britt Black, Gordon Lightfoot, Backstreet boys, Edwin, Natalie Imbruglia, Jet, Alicia Keys, LFO, Madonna, Ricky Martain, Mya, Nirvana, Nsync, Prozzak, S Club 7, Soul Decision, Skye Sweetnam, George Thorogood, TLC, Treble Charger, Mozart, Bad Company, Vanilla Ice, 3 Doors Down, Abba, The 5th Dimension, AC/DC, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Niel Diamond, Electric Light Orchestra, Foreigner, Kiss, Whitney Houston, Sting, Elton John, Journey, Bon Jovi, Judas Priest, Men at Work, Mama's and the Papa's, Miami Sound Machine, Earth Wind and Fire, Mr. Mister, Nazareth, Tony Orlando & Dawn, The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch, The Police, Elvis Presley, REO Speedwagon, BTO, Johnny Rivers, Rush, Ted Nugent, Bob Seger, Simon & Garfunkel, Bruce Springsteen, Lawrench Welk, Led Zeppelin, Wham!, Blondie, A-Ha, Heart, The Rockats, Mario Lanza, Bryan Adams, Air Supply, Boston, Shawn Colvin, The Carpenters, Johnny Cash, Jim Croce, The Guess Who, Buddy Holly, Billy Idol, Chris Isaak, Kansas, John Lennon, Loverboy, Matchbox 20, Meat Loaf, Bette Midler, Prince, Santana, Savage Garden, Will Smith, Rod Stewart, Steve Miller Band, Supertramp, ZZ Top, Bee Gees, Greenday, U2, Eve 6, Lit, Motorhead, Everlast, Linkin Park, Dave Matthews Band, Matthew Good Band, Finger 11, P.O.D., Goo Goo Dolls, Nickleback, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Crossfade, Collective Soul, Yellow Card, Evanescence, Trust Company, Default, No Doubt, limp bizkit, The Ramones, Billy Talent, Cheap Trick, Fozzy, Motley Crue, Saliva, Kill Hannah, you know those are the ones just off the top of my head... there is much much more!!

A Dying Race, Foster Child, Farewell to Freeway, The Janet Theory, Dead Girls Union, Acoustic MF, Tripshot, Hedley, Room with out a View, Shotgun Rules, Capdown, Glory Fades, Angry Orphans, The Fully Down, The Pettit Project, The Riff Randalls, Hill, and plus much MUCH more... oh and THROZZY <----my band (lol)!!

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 28th 2005, 11:41 pm

The Gathering

Anyone who listens to Evanescence or Lacuna Coil or any of those female-fronted, slightly goth rock bands needs to understand who invented the genre. Anneke van Giersbergen is maybe the greatest female voice in 30 years. Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet, if_then_else, and Souvenirs are all highly recommended. Really they can do no wrong.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Sep 29th 2005, 11:31 pm

dTheater wrote:The Gathering

Anyone who listens to Evanescence or Lacuna Coil or any of those female-fronted, slightly goth rock bands needs to understand who invented the genre. Anneke van Giersbergen is maybe the greatest female voice in 30 years. Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet, if_then_else, and Souvenirs are all highly recommended. Really they can do no wrong.
I will check them out.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/