What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)

Post by Guest » May 23rd 2003, 11:02 am

starbug wrote:grown up slightly, I'd take Donnie over the rest of them but at the time it was Joey all the way. :roll:

:D
Thats so funny you mention that starbug, the other day when i saw an old video on much music i was thinking how now Id be most attracted to Jonathon. But back then I was a hardcore Joey fan.

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Jul 3rd 2003, 12:46 am

Personally, I can't stop listening to Aimee Mann - 'Lost in Space' at the moment. Wow. I hope she makes music for the rest of time. I didn't see her mentioned in most of these lists...WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?? :wink:
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 6th 2003, 4:14 am

Rickie Love wrote:Personally, I can't stop listening to Aimee Mann - 'Lost in Space' at the moment. Wow. I hope she makes music for the rest of time. I didn't see her mentioned in most of these lists...WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?? :wink:
Aimee Mann's awesome. I'm With Stupid and Bachelor No. 2/Magnolia soundtrack are some nearly perfect albums. I did think Lost and Space was kind of weak though.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Jul 9th 2003, 1:21 pm

I agree that Bachelor No.2 is completely solid - love 'How Am I Different' and 'Nothing Is Good Enough' especially, and obviously Magnolia is great - 'Wise Up' and 'Save Me' stop me dead in my tracks everytime. And actually, I really LIKE Lost in Space. Yes, it's got a slower pace and isn't super sunny (but none of her stuff really is, is it??)'Humpty Dumpty', 'High On Sunday 51', 'Pavlov's Bell' (obviously), 'Guys Like Me'...I don't know, pretty cool. I wasn't as immediately impressed with I'm With Stupid. I like 'You Could Make A Killing' and a few others, but as a whole didn't wow me right off like the others. Might take a bit more listening, and I will.

Just some thoughts, glad to find another Mann Fan.

Later 8) [/i]
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 9th 2003, 3:31 pm

I've been on a steady diet of Counting Crows and John Mayer these last few weeks, as I'm gearing up for their concert this friday. I'm a huge Crows fan and their latest album, Hard Candy, is their best since August and Everything After IMHO. John is great too, I wish the mainstream had never discovered him. I liked him more before MTV and Teen magazine found him and decided he should be a sex symbol, which I find completely rediculous. He's a dopey looking guy who makes faces and closes his eyes when he sings. His album has a periodic table on the CD (can you say nerd), but that was part of the charm. But what can ya do, teenage girls are sheep.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 10th 2003, 11:06 pm

Hard Candy is f***ing amazing. Definitely their best album since AaEA. But what the hell did they do to Big Yellow Taxi? I hear it on the radio and it's been completely butchered. Must've been a label decision.
- Jim

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 14th 2003, 5:04 pm

Well the Counting Crows/John Mayer concert was a blast. What a great road trip, good times and good company. Maroon 5 opened, I have heard some of their music before and liked it. I dragged my friends down there early so that we would catch their set, everyone agreed that these guys are good. They are similar to Train or Matchbox 20 in their sound. Several of the people I brought with me are planning on purchasing the CD, including me. I wish I would have had the time and energy to buy the CD at the concert seeing that they would get more of the proceeds.

CC put on a good show, though I found my thirst unquenched at the end. I wish they would tour by themselves in the states so I could get bigger helping. Adam was a bit drunk when he came out so it made for a fun time. They played acoustic versions of about 5 songs before cranking up the energy, I really liked hearing the acoustic stuff even if the Mayer fans didn’t fully understand. Adam played Goodnight LA solo on the piano, followed by Long December. It was not his night on the piano, he had a few bobbles on Goodnight LA and he had to stop and start again half way through Long December. Personally I thought it was funny, I wasn’t there to here them play the record or witness the best versions ever. It left me with a unique memory, that’s all I wanted, to laugh with them. They did a fun cover or the Grateful Dead’s Fried of the Devil. They closed with Hanging Around, where Adam started jumping off the speakers. This was all good until he happened to land on Dan (the guitarist) knocking him over. Dan had to stop playing for few seconds while he picked himself up and Adam had to suppress his laughter and keep singing (classic moment).

John Mayer played well too, the guy has some amazing guitar skills. He played two new songs: Something’s Missing, which is an older song but will be released on the new album, and Come Back to Bed which was the highlight of his set. He put down his normal acoustic guitar and broke out the blues guitar for this song. He took a ride that was at least 5 minutes long, playing one handed, moving from one side of the stage to the other. I just stood there in awe, his guitar sounded beautiful, I found myself getting a little emotional over the sound, it was that good. The only thing I didn’t like was all the screaming 14 yr old girls. I guess there are just some things I will never understand. On a big side note, I got the email address of one of the guys taping the show who was sitting in front of me, I hope I will be able to get a copy.
dTheater wrote:Hard Candy is f***ing amazing. Definitely their best album since AaEA. But what the hell did they do to Big Yellow Taxi? I hear it on the radio and it's been completely butchered. Must've been a label decision.
I like their version of Big Yellow Taxi as it is on the album. It’s gotten a lot of radio play in Europe, but I have a feeling just about anyone can make that song a hit. Adam was asked about what he thought of their biggest hit being a cover. He replied that it didn’t bother him, he thought it was more of a reflection on what radio stations chose to play and pop culture in general; rather than a reflection on the quality of music he produces. I’d have to agree. BYT made it’s way onto the album as a hidden song because originally an album of cover songs was recorded before Hard Candy. The decision was later made to shelf those songs and produce an original album. There have been roomers of several big surprises happening later this year. One is believed to be a DVD and the other is believed to be the release of the cover album. We’ll have to wait and see.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 14th 2003, 5:30 pm

Nothingman wrote:
dTheater wrote:Hard Candy is f***ing amazing. Definitely their best album since AaEA. But what the hell did they do to Big Yellow Taxi? I hear it on the radio and it's been completely butchered. Must've been a label decision.
I like their version of Big Yellow Taxi as it is on the album. It’s gotten a lot of radio play in Europe, but I have a feeling just about anyone can make that song a hit.
I don't dislike their version either, but the keyword is their version. The single that's being played on the radio has added guest vocals by Christina Aguilera or some s**t, and that's why it's a hit.
- Jim

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 15th 2003, 10:12 am

I see your complaint. You don't like the background vocals by Vanessa Carlson. I'll totally support you on that, I would rather they didn't colaborate with her. I guess I've learned to tollerate it, but I would have prefered they did it on their own.

They had already commited BYT to the Two Weeks Notice Soundtrack prior to completing Hard Candy. Once the cover album was shelfed, they decided to put it on the album since it was going to be released as a single with the movie.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 15th 2003, 11:15 am

dTheater wrote:
Rickie Love wrote:Personally, I can't stop listening to Aimee Mann - 'Lost in Space' at the moment. Wow. I hope she makes music for the rest of time. I didn't see her mentioned in most of these lists...WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?? :wink:
Aimee Mann's awesome. I'm With Stupid and Bachelor No. 2/Magnolia soundtrack are some nearly perfect albums. I did think Lost and Space was kind of weak though.
Yeah, I was a little bit disappointed by "Lost in Space" too. I love her other albums -- "Magnolia" became one of my all-time-favorite movies- mostly because of her amazing soundtrack.

These days I'm listening to the new album by The Cardigans and last years LP from Nina Persson's solo project “A Camp”. "Black Box Recorder" and "The White Stripes" also have new albums out and a constant place in my cd player / mp3 playlist. A few days ago, I started listening to Dave Gahan's (former "Depeche Mode") new album and I think it's a few songs are pretty good. And the "CSI"-themesong forced me recently to dig out some old "The Who" stuff - it still rocks :)

Other than that, I'm currently listening to Eleni Mandell, Norah Jones, Pink (the new single "Real Good Time" produced by William Orbit is perfect for playing loud in your car ;-) ), The Bangles (yeah, the new stuff), sometimes "K's choice" and some german bands you probably won't know.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 20th 2003, 1:31 pm

Last weekend, on a trip to visit my parents, I was thumbing through my CD’s trying to find something when I stumbled onto the Violent Femmes. I have two of their albums(The best of, and Why do birds sing), so I popped in “Why do birds sing”. It was perfect, a refreshing blast from the past as I drove down the highway yelling along with the songs. I found I still had all the lyrics stashed away in some dusty corner of my brain. I had forgotten how much fun these old punk guys were. I saw them in ’99 and they still rocked. Considering this forums affinity for all things 80’s I though there might be some nostalgic VF fans out there.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Aug 20th 2003, 5:06 pm

Nothingman wrote:Considering this forums affinity for all things 80’s I though there might be some nostalgic VF fans out there.
Funny, I have actually been listening to Hallowed Ground, their second album which was released back in '83, a lot lately and I havent listened to it in YEARS. "Country Death Song" is on of my favorite VF songs of their career. And another classic "I Hear the Rain" is also on that album.

I only got to see the Femmes once and that was in '93 or '94, they were great but it was a disappointing show in that they stopped early because some jock asses were throwing stuff at him and he got pissed.

Why Do Birds Sing? is also a great album..I might have to dig mine out. :)

The Talented Krakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by The Talented Krakow » Aug 21st 2003, 4:44 pm

I listen a lot to Coldplay these days. I used to listen a lot to The Offspring and No Doubt.
"My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, 'How was that drive-by shooting?' You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky to get out alive."

Emeralduk
Liberty High Student

Post by Emeralduk » Aug 22nd 2003, 9:25 am

I love listening to Sarah McLachlan, Bree Sharp, Tori Amos, Jewel Kilcher, Lisa Loeb, Joni Mitchell and the Cranberries.
Lots of girly music for me, to chillout to! I also like Fleetwood Mac (especially Stevie Nicks) - so many classic songs! :Fade-color

*~Emerald~*
"Hello, you've reached the winter of our discontent."

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Aug 22nd 2003, 12:26 pm

I saw Phantom of the Opera in London recently and the music hooked me just like I knew it would. Big Time Pins & Needles.

Listening to the soundrack puts me right back in my front row seat. Watch out for that chandelier! Fabulous!

For some reason, the powerful music of Phantom inspired me get the soundtrack to Moulin Rouge... and this is also extremely sexy.

I l-u-r-v-e the Tango / Roxanne ensemble. Haunting strings... tortured vocals. I'm in heaven x
Mom. Streamers?