RIP Kurt Cobain

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
kappster
Three Rivers Resident

RIP Kurt Cobain

Post by kappster » Apr 6th 2004, 2:45 am

It seems unreal that it has been 10 years since the end of an era. I was watching late-nite MTV and they were playing Nirvana videos in memorium. MTV 2 is airing Nirvana unplugged which I would love to have on DVD....everytime I watch it, I can't take my eyes off of Kurt. I know it is such a cliche, but I think that he is one of the greatest musical talents and is amazing to watch. 10 years later, I still listen to their albums on a regular basis. What a shame. But much like MSCL....he went out in his prime and never had a chance to disappoint.

Damn it....now I can't stop listening to my CDs...oh to be 19 again. I got to get some sleep.

Kappster

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 6th 2004, 5:25 am

Even though I was a year or two too young to be really into Nirvana (I was just getting out of middleschool, and hadn't gotten into music yet), watching it all on MTV today was very moving. I caught the trail end of the grunge movement growing up, and really liked Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Soul Asylum. But I've definitely grown to appreciate Nirvana and how they and other rockers from Seattle and LA completely changed the scene.

It was especially moving watching the MTV2 specials on Grunge and Nirvana today since I just moved out here and have been experiencing the music scene. Just the other day I was in the Crocadile Lounge, where Soundgarden and Nirvana have played. I didn't realize they played there when I was there, but seeing it on tv in reference to one of the "sacred grunge spots" almost sent shivers up my spine.

There was definitely something special that happened out here. Its easy to overlook, since it is "only music" and it all sounded like hard rock to someone who doesn't know. But considering that what had come before for the past 15 years prior to 1990 was fluff and hair-bands....the grunge movement was definitely a special moment in time.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Apr 6th 2004, 12:23 pm

I remember when Kurt died like it was yesterday (which in itself is a little scary, considering 10 years have passed). I was listening to late night talk radio and they were running news bulletins every 15 mins. I think it was around 1.30am when they first reported 'a body' being found in Kurt's house - gradually they got more specific, and eventually announced that he had been pronounced dead at the scene.

I didn't sleep too well that night. I was very into Nirvana when I was around 17-18... I still manage to reminisce every time I hear one of their songs. He was a phenomenal talent and it's a great loss.

I try to think of really truly original acts that kids are into these days, and I can't. Mind you, my dad said that about music when I was young...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

kurt

Post by lance » Apr 6th 2004, 6:49 pm

I was never really into Nirvana. I was an undergrad during their hey day, listening largely to Metallica.

Still I can but think that a great talent has been lost. What other brillant records might have been created had Kurt lived on? Sad, sad day.

-LanceMan

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Apr 12th 2004, 8:48 pm

Nirvana is one of my favorite bands. I loved and love their music. I read Kurt Cobains police files on Smoking Gun and I could`nt stop but think of how sad it was that he died. Whether he killed himself or was killed...I don`t know. Different people have different theories. Reading the files on him was intersting because so many people have talked about it was nice to read some truth. Regardless, it was just sad. I wonder what they`d be doing now....
There`s Something About My Life....

Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Sep 24th 2004, 6:46 am

Well, I thought with this avatar I should post here really. :wink:

I remember sitting on the school bus as a 12 year old being scared of the older kids who used to play Nirvana over the coach stereo every day. At first I didn't like it (I'd not really heard rock before!), but after a while I quite liked it. But my friends were all into dance music, so it wasn't until I was about 17 that I got into music. I rediscovered Nirvana about a year ago, and I'm just beginning to appreciate it. Plus I really got into the Foo Fighters and started worshipping Dave Grohl, so it went on from there!

Kurt Cobain is a fascinating person and an amazing musician. He wasn't the most skillful guitarist there was but he put everything into his music. And the best thing is he didn't care what anyone thought. He had guts!

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 15th 2004, 11:17 am

I remember being a young teenager and the mainstream was just fabulous, such a golden time. Grunge/alt-rock and pop music was actually how pop should be. If I look back now, I become sad. Not only for the loss of Kurt and Nirvana, but the fact that I was just living through it and didn't really grasp the time. It went by too fast. Now I look at the mainstream music and pop culture (if there really is one) and it's sad to see that the young ones now get crap (and they don't see it) and how there'll never be a revolution ever again. I'm so big on this topic of discussion on that era and today's state, that I still go on and on with people about it if it comes up! Send me shouts if you want to talk about this. LOL.
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"

lecter5761
Tino

Post by lecter5761 » Sep 14th 2005, 3:19 pm

Isn't it bizzare that a kid born around the time Nevermind was released would be starting high school pretty soon?

ThrozzyFoxx
Tino

Post by ThrozzyFoxx » Sep 19th 2005, 7:16 pm

I was a little kid too... but I still kind of listened to them when I would sneak to the rock radio stations.... even though I do love Kurt Cobain now.... It was always about and still is about Dave Grohl (he is incredible) everyone I know bites my head off when I say that.... damn Courtney Love!!! Am i the only one here who thinks she hired a hitman?? I won't get into the evidence that it WASN'T a suicide... because it wasn't you know... but I know she did it!!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 20th 2005, 12:34 am

ThrozzyFoxx wrote:...even though I do love Kurt Cobain now.... It was always about and still is about Dave Grohl...
You are seriously going to have to back that statement up.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

ThrozzyFoxx
Tino

Post by ThrozzyFoxx » Sep 28th 2005, 1:03 pm

Kristin wrote:
ThrozzyFoxx wrote:...even though I do love Kurt Cobain now.... It was always about and still is about Dave Grohl...
You are seriously going to have to back that statement up.
i forgot to add " for me" at the end... but I do love Dave Grohl more... I hate to admit it and I know people who would kill me for saying that... but he is amazing.... Kurt was amazing as well... there definitly was something around him what he sang that was just sooo.... addictive....

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 29th 2005, 11:58 pm

Throzzyfoxx: You may like Dave Grohl more. And certainly of course Foo Fighters is all about Dave. But you must admit that Nirvana was all about Kurt Cobain. If it were not all about KC, then they would have been able to find a replacement guitarist/vocalist/songwriter when KC died, and Nirvana would have been able to continue as a band. But when KC died, Nirvana fell apart. Think about if Dave Grohl died or quit music - would Foo Fighters be able to find a replacement and stay the Foo Fighters? I don't think so. The reason bands like Van Halen and AC/DC were able to switch singers is because those bands weren't all about the singers - the singers didn't start the band or write all the songs. The singers certainly were important contributors, but in the case of Van Halen it was about Eddie, the guitarist, and AC/DC it's about Angus Young, the guitarist. Do you see what I mean? And there are some bands that it seems all the bandmates need to be there in order to really be THAT band. Smashing Pumpkins is a good example - when Jimmy Chamberlain (the drummer) was kicked out, something was missing from the energy/chemistry... so they hired him back. But notice they started to decline in popularity and importance on the music scene when D'arcy left, and they had Melissa auf der Maur from Hole. (Although some would argue they sounded better with MadM, but that's a whole different thread.) And now Billy Corgan has been talking about reuniting Smashing Pumpkins... but only him and Jimmy Chamberlain - WITHOUT James Iha and D'arcy. Now, I just don't think this will work at all. This is an example of a band that is a package deal - Billy Corgan may have been the creative force behind the band, but I don't think he can simply replace his bandmembers and still be Smashing Pumpkins. Weezer is a rare case where having three different bassists through their run has worked - they are still the same band without having to compromise any success.

[/rant] :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~