Jeff Buckley anyone?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Jeff Buckley anyone?

Post by dTheater » Apr 1st 2004, 2:43 pm

Yowzer, that voice! Sadly, I'm about 7 years too late in discovering him, but there's no time like the present.

I was driving with a friend who had Grace with him but never listened to it, so he popped it in. Halfway into the disc, I had to pull over, it was so good. Hearing Dream Brother for the first time was like an out-of-body experience. Not a word was spoken between the two of us.

That was about 2 months ago and since then, I've collected pretty much everything by Jeff Buckley that is commercially available.

I've never heard a voice like that in my life and probably never will. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check him out immediately.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Apr 8th 2004, 12:45 am

Damnit dTheater....now you made me get my Grace CD out for the first time in ages and I am weirdly obsessed with that "Hallelujah" song again and can't stop listening to it. I keep hitting replay.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Apr 9th 2004, 2:52 am

kappster wrote:Damnit dTheater....now you made me get my Grace CD out for the first time in ages and I am weirdly obsessed with that "Hallelujah" song again and can't stop listening to it. I keep hitting replay.
Nothing wrong with that; it's an unbelievable performance.
- Jim

sarahr_81
Overlooked Sibling

Post by sarahr_81 » Sep 10th 2004, 6:34 pm

i just found jeff buckley this year, so i too am late, but such lovely music, he was a really great singer/song writer.

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Sep 14th 2004, 1:09 am

I think I read in the Sept 17 Entertainment weekly that there is a new 2 CD re-release of the album 'Grace' with a previously unreleased song.

Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Sep 24th 2004, 6:35 am

I quite agree. I only recently came across Jeff Buckley as my (recently ex-ed) boyfriend called me his 'Sweetheart the drunk'. Ha ha. Very funny.

I still haven't heard Grace, but my favourite song I've heard so far is 'Yard of Blonde Girls' (Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk') It's very cool. :)

MonicaG
Tino

Post by MonicaG » Oct 29th 2004, 7:44 pm

kappster wrote:I think I read in the Sept 17 Entertainment weekly that there is a new 2 CD re-release of the album 'Grace' with a previously unreleased song.
So does anyone have this yet? It seems like it would be worth it just to get his version of "I Want Someone Badly". I just got Mystery White Boy. Wow. What a talent. Such a shame he passed away so young :(
Claire Fans ~ Keep Voting!

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Nov 6th 2004, 1:29 pm

MonicaG wrote:
kappster wrote:I think I read in the Sept 17 Entertainment weekly that there is a new 2 CD re-release of the album 'Grace' with a previously unreleased song.
So does anyone have this yet? It seems like it would be worth it just to get his version of "I Want Someone Badly". I just got Mystery White Boy. Wow. What a talent. Such a shame he passed away so young :(
The set features 3-discs: a remastered version of Grace; a 2nd disc with Grace outtakes, and a making-of DVD.

On the 2nd disc, you have a song called Forget Her which Jeff dropped from Grace at the last minute, but it turns out it's not some throw-away; it may've been one of the best songs on there. So you definitely need that. There's also various covers, alternate mixes and takes, live cuts, etc.

The 3rd disc has a documentary of the making of the album. I'll describe it the way it's written on the box. "A newly expanded version of the original Grace documentary, featuring new interviews with band members and producer Andy Wallace as well as unseen footage of Jeff and the band at Bearsville Studios recording Grace."

It's better than your typical "making-of" thing. It also has all of the videos for the singles from Grace.
- Jim