I need new music too....

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
FuzzyFreaky
Nicky Driscoll

I need new music too....

Post by FuzzyFreaky » Jul 27th 2003, 11:23 am

I need newer music. I've currently been listening to Peter Gabriel ( Who I wasn't a fan of but I now am working on getting his entire catalog after listening to Up) Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to everything
I'm wicked and I'm lazy....
Don't you wanna save me?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jul 27th 2003, 11:55 am

Along the lines of Peter Gabriel, you could listen to some of the b-sides of Talking Heads albums (ie: Road To Nowhere). Or Paul Simon. They all have a slightly 'world music' bent to some of what they do.

Afro Celt Sound System is excellent. Try "When You're Falling" to get you hooked. Its got ol' Peter doing the vocals.

Cornershop is pretty fun too. Try...Staging the Plaguing of the Raised Platform.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 28th 2003, 12:45 am

Wilco (Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot most recommended)

And don't forget old Genesis in Peter Gabriel's back catalogue.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 12:09 pm

depends on what you like
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Oct 23rd 2003, 2:29 am

depends on what you like
Not to be rude, Hunee, but I think that Fuzzy Freaky said that s/he liked Peter Gabriel and that s/he was open to anything.
:roll:
If you really don't have a suggestion, then maybe you should reconsider some of your posts.
There is a big difference between quantity and quality.
Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

As for music suggestions, Fuzzy Freaky, if you like folksy stuff, you might look into Michele Shocked. If you are more into alternative music, you might check out The Incredible Moses Leroy- he has a song called Warm and Fuzzy :D. If you like piano stuff, then AJ Croce is for you. If you like hot chicks with beautiful voices, check out Milla's (Jovovich) Divine Comedy. There's also a folk singer type girl named Michal who is from New York, she has some catchy tunes. I'm currently listening to A Perfect Circle.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:05 am

Lurker wrote: If you like hot chicks with beautiful voices, check out Milla's (Jovovich) Divine Comedy.
\
Totally have to second this CD, amazing stuff. It is sinful for a person so goddamn beautiful to have that much talent too.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:11 am

I could use some new music as well. I like Elliot Smith (very sad to hear about his passing), Rufus Wainright, Neutral Milk Hotel, Ben Lee (just found out about his link to Claire and was strangely happy. anyone know if they are still together?) and probably my all time favorite are Simon and Garfunkel. But it's been a long time since i've discovered a new artist I like (oh except Mason Jennings)I don't think it's because i'm that picky or anything I just usually don't seek out new music I passively wait to be introduced to it but I'm up for something new now. Any suggestions?

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:55 am

ewww lurker whats up your butt? I was just asking... :evil:
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 23rd 2003, 7:08 am

grim4746 wrote: probably my all time favorite are Simon and Garfunkel.
OMG I love Simon and Garfunkel! Perfect for days out in the sunny english countryside (perversely, coz they're american, obviously).
I bought their complete workds a few years ago and although it was expensive, it was well worth it.

Anyway, for new music... have you heard of Billy Pilgrim? If not, try them. their song 'Try' featured on MSCL but it's not by any means their best stuff. I'd recommend 'In a Time Machine' for some truly beautiful work. it's like a sort of modern day simon and garfunkel but kind of rocked up a bit. Quite hard to explain, sorry. But I love it.

Also for chilled out modern stuff try Jakatta (or possibly Jakkata). The album's called 'Behind the Sun'.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 23rd 2003, 7:09 am

fnordboy wrote:
Lurker wrote: If you like hot chicks with beautiful voices, check out Milla's (Jovovich) Divine Comedy.
\
Totally have to second this CD, amazing stuff. It is sinful for a person so goddamn beautiful to have that much talent too.
So, it's time to admit my un-cool-ness... again.
I never realised that was her.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 23rd 2003, 11:05 am

grim4746 wrote:I could use some new music as well. I like ... Neutral Milk Hotel, .... and probably my all time favorite are Simon and Garfunkel. Any suggestions?
Neutral Milk Hotel is great. Listen to my NMH cds all the time. I grew up on Simon and Garfunkel and absolutely love them. Oddly enough I hate their solo stuff, though Paul Simon's was good up until he turned into world music, I just can not dig that.

Hmm, I guess I should make a suggestion. You probably know of Bright Eyes, but if not go now and buy Fevers & Mirrors. Yes, now ;) :P

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:39 pm

starbug thanks for the suggestions. I bought S&Gs collected works too but I'm horrified to report that it was stolen. It's not available anymore but there is another set out that's even more expensive of course but has all the same songs, possibly a couple of additional ones too, so I'll be buying that one soon. I've heard of billy pilgrim but haven't been exposed much I'll check it out, Jakatta I've never heard of so i'm extra excited to discover something entirely new, same goes for Bright Eyes fnordboy. Thanks.

Still Lurking

new music

Post by Still Lurking » Oct 26th 2003, 1:45 am

It is sinful for a person so goddamn beautiful to have that much talent too.
Ohh, that reminds me of another beautiful woman with an amazing voice!

Deborah Falconer- she is/was married to Robert Downey Jr.
I've had the chance to see her twice, she is awesome!
You can check out her website
http://www.deborahfalconer.com

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Cowboy Junkies

Post by kappster » Oct 29th 2003, 1:40 am

If you don't know their work already, I would highly recommend the Cowboy Junkies. I have several CDs and have followed them for about 11 years now. I can listen to all of them over and over and never get tired of them. They are best known for their cover of "Sweet Jane" but their music goes far beyond that. Very lyrical, fantastic vocals, and a range of instruments that you don't hear in music everyday. The album 'Trinity Sessions' was the first album I bought and was immediately hooked. 'Black Eyed Man' and 'Lay it Down' are my other two favorites. They also have a 'Studio' album which has a nice sampling from several albums. They are the only band that I dream of seeing live. They have been in my area twice and missed the both times due stupid circumstances. ah...someday. Check them out if you haven't discovered them already.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 29th 2003, 11:46 am

I don't know why, but I could never get into the Cowboy Junkies. I know a lot of people who have (or do) like them, but they just never did it for me. Don't know why. :?