I need new music too....

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 29th 2003, 2:02 pm

The latest band I've found is called O.A.R. They've started to enjoy mild mainstream success. They blend punk, ska, rock, and reggea into a fun energetic style. If you enjoy that sound I suggest checking them out. Another one of my favorites that I wouldn't have predicted is Incubus. I suggest their second album "Morning View". I dismissed them as your average top 40 catchy song on the radio band at first, but as I started to fully digest the album I realised there is much more going on musically than you'd expect. These guys have skills and aren't affraid to try new things and experiment with their sound. As opposed to finding a sound people will buy and continuing to perfect (or repeat) it.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 30th 2003, 5:45 am

I just realised I made a mistake, grim...
it's CHICANE's album 'Behind the Sun', not Jakatta.

Doh! :oops:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

sirhansirhan
Account Suspended

Post by sirhansirhan » Nov 28th 2003, 3:19 pm

I tried unsuccessfully to quote grim4746 and fnordboy, but I kept screwing it up, so I'll post my reply quote-free and figure it out some other time. Right now I really have to pee.

Okay, this is what would have been under a quote of grim4746 and fnordboy's mention of Neutral Milk Hotel:

You guys should be commended for your good taste, and then go out and buy the two Decemberists LPs, if you haven't already. The first one is called Castaways & Cutouts (it's a little over a year old) and the newer one (it was just released in September) is called Her Majesty, The Decemberists. They bear a striking resemblance to NMH (who are my all-time favorite band), and are also very good on their own.

Also, check out the Circulatory System CD, which a lump of people from the old Elephant 6 bands recorded about two years ago. It's hard to find, but it's worth it.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Dec 2nd 2003, 6:36 pm

If you're like me than you can't sit in your office and listen to the same local radio stations and their adds everyday. Thank God for internet radio. I wanted to share my new favorite station, it plays all my favorite 90's alternative angst filled tunes. Very MSCL-ish. No commercials and it's free!

From the site:
Discover alternative music from the decade it became KNOWN as alternative. Check out the big names and the not-so-big names of today: Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, and many, many more!
Here's the link: http://theiceberg.com/channel.html?chan ... roup_id=24[/url]

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 2nd 2003, 6:48 pm

Nothingman wrote:If you're like me than you can't sit in your office and listen to the same local radio stations and their adds everyday. Thank God for internet radio. I wanted to share my new favorite station, it plays all my favorite 90's alternative angst filled tunes. Very MSCL-ish. No commercials and it's free!

From the site:
Discover alternative music from the decade it became KNOWN as alternative. Check out the big names and the not-so-big names of today: Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, and many, many more!
Here's the link: http://theiceberg.com/channel.html?chan ... roup_id=24[/url]
Thanks for the link.

Any station that plays: Hoodoo Gurus - Miss Freelove '69 on their playlist is good by me.

Of course I could go without some of the crap they have like Candlebox and that big pic of Kurt "I should have done myself in 10 years earlier" Cobain. I think I am going to have to start my own radio station, nobody acknowledges the brilliant bands from the early to late 90s (and 80s) on the radio. Where can you hear Jawbox, Archers of Loaf, Poster Children, Texas is the Reason, etc. All good bands with some critical success yet nobody plays them. :(

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2003, 6:56 pm

Kurt "I should have done myself in 10 years earlier" Cobain
:hug:

:kiss:

:love

Ahhh, another person who doesn't hold Kurt Cobain as the voice of our generation and a musical genius. I love you.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Mar 4th 2004, 10:57 pm

My friend turned me on to Norah Jones at Christmas, but I didn't pick up her album till this week. I'm blown away. I found here first album "come away with me" for $9.99 at Target. It's gotten better reviews than her new album, which I've heard is still solid. Her voices is very soulful and just draws you in. This is exellent music for a romantic dinner, or a glass of wine. :love Or any time you want something mellow. I give it a full four stars!