Joe's Video Pick of the Week

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Joe's Video Pick of the Week

Post by JPP13 » May 30th 2003, 7:30 pm

This weeks its the Scientist by Coldplay. Anyone seen it?

Its a great song, which always helps matters anyway. I'm a sucker for those droning, almost Joy Division type songs, with a hint of sadness to them.

But the video - its so shocking, and with such an impact. Many seemingly insignificant little details fall into place. And the lyrics just play right along.

So check it out. Yes it will seem cliched at first. But stick with it. Its available on Kazaa, and also Launch.com.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Joe's Video Pick of the Week

Post by NIGHTJESSI » May 31st 2003, 6:33 pm

I absolutely love this video but then again, I love all Coldplay videos because I'm such a huge fan of the band. I had a chance to see them live last year and am going again to see them in less than two weeks. And I must say that they translate well in music videos, but the live show is definitely where it's at for this band. Talk about pure musical energy!
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » May 31st 2003, 6:44 pm

I missed my opportunity to see them when they kicked off the tour in Orlando, and I've been kicking myself ever since.

I think a great video enhances the song (and somewhat vice-versa) and helps translate the vision of what the song is about. The Scientist video does this is spades.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 1st 2003, 3:56 am

I am not a big Coldplay fan, I do enjoy a lot of their music, just haven't completely 'fallen' for them yet. I have to say though I checked out this video on your recommendation and it is a damn good video and a really good song as well. Completely unexpected "ending" as well. Very cool, thanks for the recommendation. :)

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jun 1st 2003, 3:33 pm

Thanks fnord, glad you liked it.

Did you catch the little detail of him throwing off his jacket in the woods? And how that later made sense with the consequences of what she did when she put her jacket on?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jun 6th 2003, 8:16 pm

I know this is the event which gets everyone through the work week. Joe's Video Pick of the Week. Hope everyone enjoyed the Scientist.

For this week, going Old School. New Wave Old School to be precise. My video pick of the week is..... "Whats so Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding" by Elvis Costello. There's many reasons.

First of all, the song itself, penned by pub-rocker Nick Lowe is a question about what ever happened to the ideals of the 60's. And in this time of war fever, I thought it was a nice sentiment.

The video is classic Elvis. It was the first true New Wave video I ever saw. Elvis is decked out in the neo-Buddy holly look. Black horn-rimmed glasses. Big square suits. Skinny ties. Aaaaah, it brings me back. The video shows the band goofing around, playing next to a pool, in the woods, and some inter-spliced concert footage.

What sticks out to me, is this is the video that said, hey, its very cool for even a rock star, much less you or I, to be geeky. It was the advent of nerd rock, an area later mined by the Beat Happening, Weezer, and many others. To me, it all starts here.

I loved this video when I was younger, and its on regular rotation on VH1 Classic. And like the Scientist, its available on kazaa.

So do yourself a favor. Put on your swatch watch, your Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars (high tops of course) and the rest of the clothing you bought at Chess King in the Galleria, and watch the video.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 10th 2003, 1:47 am

I am surprised no one has replied to this last post, I have been a fan of Elvis Costello for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the video on Kazaa, so I can't refresh my memory too much on it. Everyone should own atleast one Elvis Costello album though...it should be a law.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 10th 2003, 1:51 am

Well I don't want to step on your toes and hijack your thread but I have to recommend one of my favorite videos of all time. And thankfully it is available at launch.com and probably kazaa. It is "Sugarcube" by the band Yo La Tengo. It is one of the funniest videos ever made IMO. It has a few people from the Mr. Show cast including Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. Most likely they wrote the video. It is also an amazingly catchy song.

Check it out: http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/default. ... ID=1029761

Hope you like. :D

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jun 12th 2003, 8:37 pm

fnordboy, good call on that. I enjoy Yo la tengo but have never seen a video before.

Ylt is one of those bands that people that people probably reject because of the name, thinking its reggae or what have you, but they are a great band. Hard to believe they've been together 20 years. They've always reminded me of a cross between say REM and the Velvet Underground.