Your Favorite/Worst Concerts or Live Shows List

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Your Favorite/Worst Concerts or Live Shows List

Post by fnordboy » Apr 28th 2003, 1:17 pm

I thought this might be an interesting thread to get started. Basically what are your top 5 or 10 best and worst concerts you have been to.

Just to clarify, I use "concerts" for arena sized shows and "live shows" for smaller club venues, just because I am retarded like that ;)

Here we go:

The Best (in no particular order):

Poster Children - various shows, various years at Maxwells, Hoboken, NJ
I have seen this band atleast 4 or 5 times, they have been one of my favorite bands since about 1990. One of the most memorable was the last one about 2 years ago where they played with the Fastbacks. It was the Fastbacks last show of their tour and they just went insane, great show.

REM - 1989 or 1990 at Brendan Byrne Arena (now Continental Arena) East Rutherford, NJ
This was in support of their Green album, probably the first real concert I went to that I really wanted to see (prior to that was stuff my mother had dragged me too - ie John Denver and Peter Paul and Mary). It was a great show and this was probably the first tour Michael Stipe actually moved around on stage, Throwing Muses opened for them which was also very cool (this is Kristen Hersch's former band). Also a great show because this was probably the last great album they have released IMO.

Rocket from the Crypt - 1997 at Maxwells, Hoboken, NJ
This was in support of their Scream Dracula Scream album. One of the best shows I have ever been to, most energetic live show ever. Also had another of my favorite bands the Peechees open up for them. Amazing show, if you have never seen them and are a fan of theirs you must go see them if they play again.

Archers of Loaf - around 97-98 at Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
What can I say, it is the Archers of Loaf. Great indie rock band. Awesome show, great stage presence great music. Can't remember off hand who opened for them.

The Figgs - late 95, or early 96 at Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
Great show, but also a sad show. Great because they rock, sad because me and my girlfriend were one of about 10-15 people there and probably the only 2 people they didn't know personally. And this was a band on a major label with a video on MTV's 120 Minutes (Favorite Shirt from their first album LoFi at Society High). Even though there was nobody there they still put on a fantastic show and blew the roof off the place. Very memorable. They also let me and my girl buy their album from them before release day since we asked them about when it was coming out. They had a great band open for them called Girltoucher, they were also very good and gave us many memories the bass player who looked like Sean Astin with the huge unit (dubbed unitman by us)....hmm maybe that wasn't the show that girltoucher played...now Im confused...lol

The Shins - 2002 at Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
The last show I went to. They really impressed me live, I have had their album since it was released and listen to it all the time. The songs live were done a littel bit faster and harder (as per usual) and just worked really well. A band I never heard of before, Treasure State, opened for them and they were amazing ended up buying their CD and a shirt.

Scarce - 1996 at Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
Another of my favorite bands, probably one of the last shows they played before they broke up. This was actually the second time I had seen them, they once opened up for another band, Shudder to Think, and I fell in love with them then (probably 94 or 93). This was in support of their Deadsexy album, which is amazing.

Dead Milkmen - around 90- 91 at Montclair State University, NJ
One of my favorite bands of all time... fan of theirs since i was in the 5th grade, yes i was a little gutter punk ;) . Free show given on the campus of MSU, in support of one of their worst albums IMO, Soul Rotation, but they still rocked. I got to meet them and they all signed my t-shirt. Very very cool people. Interesting side story a band called Sweet Lizard Illtet opened up for them whom I later met about 8 years later when I was working at a rehearsal studio in Hoboken, some of the members were brothers and owned a recording studio in Hoboken (they did some stuff for Evan Dando and others), they are also related to Val Kilmer, not that that is anything to be proud of ;) .

Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Violent Femmes - around '94 at Montclair State University, NJ
Another great show, the Bosstones always put on a lively show. Probably the last good album they put out too, the show was great till some frat boys started throwing rocks and keys at the lead singer of the Violent Femmes and he basically stopped playing. Otherwise great show, met a few of the Bosstones and they were pretty damn cool people.

Weezer - 1993 or 1994 at Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
Shortly after the release of the first self titled album right before they went huge on MTV. Great show, totally tore the place down. I actually left my sisters wedding reception early to go to the show :) . Met them very briefly outside the venue, didn't even know who they were at first. Seemed very cool, they said "hi" to me first which was very cool. Rivers still had his bowl-cut at the time. It is a shame they suck now, don't remember who opened for them.

David Bowie, Prick, and NIN - 1995 at Brendan Byrne Arena (now Continental Arena) East Rutherford, NJ
In support of his Outside album, primarily went to see him and Prick, a great band that is no longer around. NIN was ok, but if you have seen them once... I had already seen them twice a few times earlier and by this point was sick of them. Prick blew away everyone else that night. I wish that band released more than one album. Bowie was brilliant as per usual. I have been a Bowie fan all my life, but never cared for anything he did post 1980 or so, until this album. This album blew me away and showed me that he still had it in him.

Well this got a little long, and I am sure I might add to this list, so I will leave it for now. I will put up my worst shows soon, I have only a few real disappointments.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Apr 28th 2003, 8:27 pm

Good topic. I love seeing live music, and have been to a ton. Here's some that jump to mind.

Best -

Oasis at the Hard Rock, Orlando. 2002. Probably my favorite band of the 90s. I had twice tried to see them before, but both times Liam walked off tour. Adding to the tension was the fact that Liam had walked off stage at West Palm Beach the night before this show. Well this concert was evrything and more. the sound, the songs, the crazy crowd. I felt honored to have attended.

Psychedelic Furs, Tampa Theater 1989. Perhaps my favorite band os the 80s, towards the end of the line for them. Had seen them before, but this was the best they ever sounded. Bonus highlight was when Ricjard Butler shook my hand during "Forever Now", my favorite song, as he had watched me scream out the lyrics, lol.

Joan Osbourne, Janus Landing St. Pete. I didn't want to go to this show, thinking I didn't like her. i was dragged out and blown away by her live show. Same thing happened at an acoustic show by Lisa Loeb. I like pleasant surprises like that.

Just so many more. Others that jump to mind are the Replacements in 1989. Los Lobos in 1990 or so. Elton John in maybe 1985. Aerosmith in 1978. Some recent highlights were Something Corporate, Flickerstick and Abandoned Pools, all in the past year.

Worst -

The Cure, St. Pete 1990. A band I always liked, but all atmosphere and sound was lost in the dome. Bad.

Jane's Addiction St. pete 1991. Another big show. This was when I decided that I wasn't going to see anymore shows at large venues.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 28th 2003, 10:49 pm

Fav Large Shows:

Live (Throwing Copper Tour): They openned with Dam at Otter Creek. During the ramp up, when the music hits the hard base, they would drop all of the stage lights, and blast huge white lights to light up the whole audience. Really powerful, my favorite show for years.

Rusted Root/Santana: The cool thing about this show, is that it was Santana's 60th birthday the day of the show. Rusted Root opened, and then Santana started his set. Halfway through Rusted Root came out with a big birthday cake and they all played 3 songs. Combining Rusted Root and Santana, there were probably 7 to 10 percussionists on the stage at once. That'll definitely get you moving.

Paul Simon (when touring with Bob Dylan): Dylan really really sucked. Just boring. BUT Paul Simon BLEW THE FREAKING ROOF OFF! I've never seen so much power being projected from the stage. Paul Simon is getting older, but DAMN he still knows how to put himself into his performance. BY FAR my favorite show EVER.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 28th 2003, 11:40 pm

There used to be free summer concerts in Jacksonville every year when I was growing up. I saw the Beach Boys several times. They toured with the Four Tops, the Spinners, the Platters, and some other groups. Those concerts were fun. I saw Fleetwood Mac, minus Lindsay, in 1987 during Homecoming at Clemson. We didn't have good seats in the indoor statdium. I saw the Rolling Stones a couple years later for the Steel Wheels tour. This concert was held in the outdoor football stadium. I haven't been to any other concerts, which is kind of sad. I usually see a concert advertised and think about going, but I don't make it. Some concert tickets are outrageously expensive. I might try to go to a concert this year. Maybe Fleetwood Mac will make it to or near Tampa. I sure do miss Christine McVie though. Their new album without her just isn't the same.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Apr 29th 2003, 1:41 pm

My Best Concert/Live Show Experiences Ever:

311---Jones Beach Ampitheater---Wantagh, NY---June 2000
Although it was early June, I just remember it being freezing cold and rainy. The bad weather kept some people away, but it was still one of the best concerts ever. Grasshopper Takeover opened for them. It was the first time I had ever heard them and I was blown away. Incubus also opened. It was right after "Pardon Me" came out and before their mega-success. They always put on a great show. Then 311 came out and just brought down the house. It was right after they had celebrated their 10th anniversary together and they had so much energy.

Staind---Looney Tunes---West Babylon, NY---7/17/01
I'm not even sure if this counts as a live show. Staind came out to support Break the Cycle and played a short acoustic set. They were amazing. After the show, I got to meet the band and had them sign my copy of Rolling Stone. The best part about this show was the fact that it happened, literally, down the block from my house. I walked to this small acoustic show on the roof of Looney Tunes and the laundromat. This was definitely the most interesting thing that ever happened to me. I will never forget how cool that was.

Linda Eder---Westbury Music Fair---Westbury, NY---4/6/01 & 7/01 Linda is my favorite entertainer of all time. She's a great singer and puts on a great show. Her band is also really amazing. The first time I saw her it was a graduation present from my dad. I took 3 of my friends and they wanted to make the night really special for me. During intermission they snuck up to the stage (without my knowledge) and left a note saying it was my birthday and how much I admired Linda. When Linda came back out, her pianist found the note and showed it to her. She started laughing and said, "Now I'm gonna sing a real obscure song." She sang "Happy Birthday" and I was thinking how lucky that person was as my friends started poking me. They were like, "That's for you." I didn't believe it until she said my name and I started freaking out. Linda made me stand up and I almost started crying. What a great show!

Smashing Pumpkins---Nassau Coliseum---Winter 1997
It was my freshman year of high school. I just remember the crowd being really into the music. It was a great vibe. I also remember this guy getting his hair cut on stage during "1979." The only negative that night was when some drunkard spilled beer on my head.

The Family Values Tour 2001---Charlotte, NC 10/30/01
My first and only concert in the south. I missed Deadsy's set because of class. Static-X was great. I was really surprised. I had never been a big fan of their music, but they put on a good show. Linkin Park was not so good. They have never been a good live band. Staind was amazing. It was a magical experience. There's nothing like seeing your favorite band live. I left early on into Stone Temple Pilot's set because the crowd was getting rowdy. I heard I missed a great show, but I was not about to get pushed around or molested in a crowd. All in all, it was a fun experience. Southern crowds have tons of energy, which can be good until guys get drunk and gropy.

Bush---Madison Square Garden---NYC---3/14/98
Veruca Salt opened and they rocked. Bush played an amazing live show. Footage of the show, including the crowd, was used in Bush's "Cold Contagious" video. I can say I was in that video, even if I was only a little speck.

No Doubt---Nassau Coliseum---March 1998
All I have to say is: Gwen.

Tribute to Sir Roland Hanna---Queens College---November 2002
It is sad to say that I never knew Roland Hanna. He was a professor at my college and I never got to know him. It was not until this tribute concert that I realized that I was in close proximity to a living legend. He had worked with all the jazz greats, including, my favorite jazz singer of all time Sarah Vaughan. At this concert, jazz legends from all over the world showed up. This was the night I got to see Wynton Marsalis play. My life is seperated into the time before I heard him play and the time after. What a beautiful way to celebrate someones life.

I'll be back with my worst concert experiences.

P.S. What a great topic!
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

Re: Your Favorite/Worst Concerts or Live Shows List

Post by crimsonglowgurl » May 10th 2003, 1:07 am

Weezer - 1993 or 1994 at Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
Shortly after the release of the first self titled album right before they went huge on MTV. Great show, totally tore the place down. I actually left my sisters wedding reception early to go to the show :) . Met them very briefly outside the venue, didn't even know who they were at first. Seemed very cool, they said "hi" to me first which was very cool. Rivers still had his bowl-cut at the time. It is a shame they suck now, don't remember who opened for them.
*covers her ears* Nooo! You cant say that about Weezer!!! hehe They are the best band ever!!! Long love Pinkerton!!!! I saw them twice last year here in Ontario, and they played 90% old stuff for all of us hardcore oldskewl fans! They'll always be mah number 1.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 11th 2003, 3:11 am

crimsonglowgurl wrote: *covers her ears* Nooo! You cant say that about Weezer!!! hehe They are the best band ever!!! Long love Pinkerton!!!! I saw them twice last year here in Ontario, and they played 90% old stuff for all of us hardcore oldskewl fans! They'll always be mah number 1.
Really I hate to have to say it, but they are just not the same band. And no, not in that "we've matured and musically grew" kinda way. :( If anything they have debased. They use to be on of my all time faves, but now I can't even stand to listen to anything of theirs post-pinkerton. Such an album of genius, and followed up with such drivel. I would still list their first 2 recs in my top 100 of all time probably, but I stand by the fact that they have changed...and for the worst. :(

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

Post by crimsonglowgurl » May 11th 2003, 2:35 pm

I stand by the fact that they have changed...and for the worst. :(
:cry: ok, maybe u think they sold out with the Green album a lil, but what about Maladroit?? U dont even like THAT???

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 11th 2003, 4:31 pm

crimsonglowgurl wrote:
I stand by the fact that they have changed...and for the worst. :(
:cry: ok, maybe u think they sold out with the Green album a lil, but what about Maladroit?? U dont even like THAT???
I dont think they 'sold out', just are different, it happens with some bands unfortunately. Maladroit was definitely a better attempt than the Green album, but still not up to par with pinkerton or the s/t albums.

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

Post by crimsonglowgurl » May 11th 2003, 11:36 pm

fair enuf...

eugeisia
Tino

Post by eugeisia » May 20th 2003, 5:05 am

weezer makes me sick..

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 9th 2003, 12:37 pm

I saw Fleetwood Mac in concert last night. The Mac rocked. Stevie sounded really good. Lindsey played the guitar like no one's business. I didn't see Lindsey in 1987. Man, that was a long time ago. This concert definitely had a harder edge without Christine. Songs from the new CD, Say You Will, were mixed with old favorites. Many people, including me, have stated that the new album seems over-produced with the edges too much rounded. However, these songs sounded much better live. Standouts included "The Chain," "Landslide," "Gold Dust Woman," "Big Love," "Say Goodbye," and "Come." The last two songs came from the new album. Mick did an incredible human drum solo on "World Turning," which I don't remember from 1987. The tickets were expensive. But, I felt like I got my money's worth.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 29th 2003, 5:42 pm

Best concerts ever, hmmmmm.

Most recently, I saw No Doubt and Garbage together. Despite being stuck in rush hour traffic for about an hour, it was more than worth the price of admission. Gwen and Shirley rock! A few years ago, I saw No Doubt perform in a ballroom on campus with just a few hundred people before they released Return of Saturn. We were the first stop on their pre-tour, so Gwen came out sporting her new pink hair and a pink outfit. Before the first song was over, she had taken off part of her outfit and found something to tie her hair back with so that she was unencumbered.

In September 2001 I was lucky enough to see Madonna's Drowned World tour and U2 within days of each other. Both shows were awesome, but for completely different reasons. Madonna is an entertainer, and she put on quite a show. I already knew the setlist ahead of time (I saw one of the last shows on her tour) so I knew better than to expect a lot of old songs. Otherwise, I might have been disappointed in the fact that the concert was mostly new stuff. As it was, the show was lots of fun - great sets, great costumes, great dancing.

U2, on the other hand, gave a great show by giving the fans what they wanted - all the best songs. I actually went to that show two nights in a row and even though the set lists weren't exactly the same, both nights had all of the best songs. One night, there was a guy on the floor holding up a sign asking to play with the band. About halfway through the show, Bono pulled him up on stage, handed him a guitar, and let him play. I bet that guy tells everyone that story and no one believes him! :D On top of that, No Doubt opened for them.

Bush - Gavin Rossdale is an incredible live performer and the show was even better because it was a free concert on campus :wink: The show was held in the gym, so it was much smaller and more intimate than a huge arena show. About halfway through the show (and then later during the encore "Little Things") he walked out into the audience and into the bleachers. Some girls practically ripped his shirt off while he was playing his guitar.

Steve Poltz - I have seen him play multiple times and every time I am convinced that it was the best show I have ever seen. He is a great songwriter and an entertaining storyteller.

Depeche Mode - the Violator Tour. I was just a young high school student without a credit card who slept behind a dumpster all night to get tickets, but it was worth it. I still remember the time lapse film of roses during "The Sweetest Perfection." And Dave wore a dress.

Jewel - sometime in the mid-90s before she got totally famous, I saw her play in a coffeehouse. Say what you will about her poetry and songwriting, but she has an incredible voice. The place was packed and I had to stand the entire three hours, but she sang like nobody's business.

Uhhh, I think if I don't stop myself now, I'll just keep thinking of every awesome show I ever went to!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 12:27 pm

top 5 ive ever been to!!!
boyz 2 men tlc and montell jordan
sarah mclachlan
rem
mariah carey
janet jackson

I have been to over 30 tours and the least on I liked was lollapalooza of this year... I was forced to go against my will because my cousin did not have a ride and it was just... not happening for me!!!
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Dave Reed
Jody Barsh

Post by Dave Reed » Feb 23rd 2004, 8:28 pm

Top 5:

1. Metallica/Suicidal Tendencies/Candlebox (Cal Expo Amphitheater; 1994): before Metallica went downhill. It's unfortunate that I don't remember any of Candlebox's set, but we were too ticked off at Alice In Chains for having to bail (stupid Layne Staley). Very awesome gig with everyone one would want from Metallica.

2. Dropkick Murphys/Ducky Boys/Oxymoron/Pressure Point (Bojangles; 1997?): small venue, and just after Mike McColgan left the Murphs (nuts!). It'll most certainly be the last time I see the Murphs in such a small venue. Pressure Point played just before them, and the crowd continued to chant a refrain from one of their songs while the Murphs were on stage.

3. Iron Maiden/Motorhead/Dio (Sac Valley Amphitheater; 2003): Awesome set for Iron Maiden.

4. Rancid (some skateboarding place in West Sac.; 1995): very small venue when Rancid was still a skater/street punk band. Naturally, any chants for Operation Ivy songs were ignored.

5. Pantera/Anthrax (Arco Arena): Couldn't decide between this or White Zombie/Filter. Solid sets by both bands.

I can't really say that I had any "worst" concerts, but the one I least enjoyed was:

1. No Doubt/Cake/Vandals (Arco Arena): I went to see the Vandals, and No Doubt was a minor interest. Unfortunately, the Vandals had a short opening set. Cake was horrible. The only songs I liked from No Doubt were a couple of ska-ish songs and their cover of "Heartbreaker", which was, hands-down, the best moment of the concert.

There were a couple of bad performances, but I think I'm best to place them as a matter of taste rather than because of poor performances (e.g. Jeff Beck, when he opened for Santana).
"Where it's not just a way of life but a toxic adventure & 60's-style love-in"