Pete Yorn

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Pete Yorn

Post by JPP13 » Feb 18th 2003, 12:08 am

Was wondering if there were any Pete Yorn fans here.

His debut CD (musicforthemorningafter) was absolutley the best CD I've purchased in at least 5 years. Try any track, they are all great. Lose You is a personal favorite.

""Cause I'm gonna lose you. If I'm gonna lose you, I'll lose you now for good...."

He has a new cd being released on 4/15, and then a tour. Treat yourself and go.

I'm not one for this sort of rabid fan type jubilation, but his cd really is that good.

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Mar 3rd 2003, 3:16 am

i recently got a chane to listen to this CD. it was good, very well done. not sure if id listen to it on a daily basis though. but hey, thats what makes music so great, alot of choises;)
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Mar 18th 2003, 8:49 am

Thanks Sid. He has a new single out called "Come Back Home", which is being played in some of the major markets.

Bubba
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Bubba » Mar 18th 2003, 9:08 pm

I don't get a lot of albums. This past fall, I think I got four albums in the span of a month or two:

- Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head"
- David Gray's "A New Day at Midnight"
- David Bowie's "Heathen"
- Pete Yorn's "musicforthemorningafter"

Maybe it's just the competition, but I thought the album pales in comparison to these other three. A Rush of Blood is simply majestic (honestly, the best album I've heard since U2's Achtung Baby from '91). David Gray's is darker, and Bowie's is -- well, it's a really David Bowie album.

I'll listen to Pete Yorn, so it certainly wasn't money wasted. (Though, the last measure of "Simonize" annoys me, for some reason.) But I don't go out of my way to play his album. For emotional highs and lows, it's hard to beat Coldplay's "In My Place" and David Gray's "The Other Side."

Different strokes, I suppose. :)
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things... Love.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 26th 2003, 12:20 am

Thought you would enjoy this tidbit:
At Monday night's Pete Yorn show at the Warfield (SF), KRON "Morning Show" entertainment reporter Liam Mayclem overheard a woman scolding a table of chatterers: "Please be quiet. I can barely hear the performance."

"Sorry," was the harrumphing response. "We're with his record label."

"Well, you should know better," said the complainant. "I am Peter Yorn's mother, so please shut up!"

They did, says Mayclem, who told Yourn about it backstage after the show.

"That's my mom," said the proud son.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Apr 26th 2003, 11:15 pm

Thanks candy, thats great.

I really like his new CD - Day I Forgot. I'd highly recommend it (but get his first, first!).

Got my tix for the Orlando show in 3 weeks too.

Bittersweet in a way, unfortunately. Sent 2 tickets to the girl I should be going with to a different show in a different place, for her birthday. She was the one who intro'd me to him. And like with all things, she was dead on right.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Apr 27th 2003, 11:29 am

Here's another pretty good article about Pete....a good intro for those unfamiliar with him.

Romantic rocker Pete Yorn wrests fans from grip of hip-hop, punk trend
AMY CARMICHAEL
Canadian Press
Saturday, April 26, 2003

VANCOUVER (CP) - With a thick layer of stubble, an acoustic guitar and holes in his vintage clothes, romantic rocker Pete Yorn has managed to turn the heads of thousands of popsters gripped by skater punk and hip-hop trends.

He doesn't flash gold chains or booty. He doesn't run around like a teenager who's had too much from the slurpee machine and is hell-bent on skating through the mall.

"I just don't fit into all that," says the soft-spoken rocker. "I guess I'm on the fringe."

Yorn is refreshingly minimalist. He records in a friend's garage and his version of a video shoot involves a collective of rookie directors filming him playing and hanging out around his house.

The new record, Day I Forgot, is as painfully nostalgic as his first, the perfect soundtrack for gloomy afternoons, skipping school and smoking weed in the woods. That's probably because that was mainly what Yorn did growing up and he says he's a little obsessed with memories.

"People really get caught up in their day-to-day stuff. I try to stay in the moment, to put myself in other people's shoes and be there. But I'm a nostalgic person; I feel really connected to the past."

Lots of his reminiscing is about girlfriends, offering a thoughtful guy's take on dating.

His debut effort chronicled the end of a relationship. The new songs, he says, are about the rebound phase, unconventional relationships, jealousy, finding yourself again and preparing to get into a new relationship.

In a whirl of fuzz-toned acoustic and electric guitars, Day I Forgot opens with a message: "I've seen the silence grow between us/I made up that story to change your mind/I could have been somebody else/But now I'm me this time."

He seems to be tugging universal heartstrings. Fans who lined up around the block at Vancouver's Virgin Records store waiting to see Yorn play an in-store set ranged from hippie high-schoolers to men in suits.

"His songs actually make me think," says John Underwood, a 21-year-old student who skipped class to watch the show. "They kind of set you on a trip and put lots of interactions you have with people in context.

"Jennifer Lopez singing about being real doesn't exactly hit me in the same way."

Just like made-up pop stars such as the Spice Girls and Britney Spears gave rise to the punk backlash, the diamond-dripping hip-pop juggernaut is starting to leave some fans wanting something else.

Stripped down and thoughtful balladeers like Yorn could be wandering into a new golden age, with stars like Norah Jones sweeping the Grammy's and Ottawa's Kathleen Edwards lighting up the late-night talk show scene and creating a major buzz in the United States.

Over the last couple of years Yorn, a New Jersey native, has made the jump from an obscure opening act to headliner.

Last year he was a warmup act at Weezer's show at Vancouver's Pacific Coliseum. This year he sold out the city's Commodore Ballroom and Toronto's Guvernment complex for a concert May 7.

He maxes out his fan base straddling music markets. Harder-edge singles, slightly reminiscent of Eddie Vedder, were released to alternative rock stations and goose-bumpy, down-tempo numbers to adult contemporary outlets.

An extensive light show at his Vancouver gig Wednesdays night played up the contrasting energy. The stage was bathed in a fiery red as he attacked his guitar, purple starscapes wrapped the fans in for ballads and retro polka dots swirled during his optimistic numbers.

He gives little commentary, plowing through a two-hour set without taking a breath. But he couldn't leave without talking about hockey.

Yorn and his band had been out at a steak house in downtown Vancouver when the Canucks won the first round of the NHL playoffs for the first time in eight years.

Suddenly, 20,000 ecstatic fans came roaring by with horns blaring and waving flags. Yorn was so amazed by the sight he was calling people at home on his cellphone saying "I think we're in a riot."

At the end of the show, he yelled "Go Canucks!" and the crowd went wild.

"I hope you guys go all the way. You really deserve it."

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Oct 18th 2004, 5:10 pm

I just want to say that I absolutly LOVE Pete Yorn. I discovered him back in early 2002 and I still like him as much as I did back then. Such a great song writer/musician, and awesome live! Check him out if you haven't already!