Favorite Beatles song

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Favorite Beatles song

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 15th 2002, 2:56 pm

Wow, all the focus has been on the DVD forum for so long that I almost forgot about all the fun stuff we used to talk about!

In the vein of Kenny's joke thread, now I want everyone to tell us their favorite Beatles song.

Mine is "I Will" and I have a convoluted story about it too!

I saw the 1994 Warren Beatty/Annette Benning movie "Love Affair" (a remake of "An Affair to Remember" for anyone who didn't see Meg Ryan & Rosie O'Donnell sobbing about the original in "Sleepless in Seattle :wink: ). When the little kids were singing that cute song, my heart just went "oooooh!" I went to a music store the next day to look for the soundtrack. Luckily I went to a local store that let me listen to the whole thing before I bought it because that cute little song wasn't on the soundtrack! :evil: This was back in the day before I knew about imdb so I just gave up.

Fast forward five or six years. My boyfriend and I were taking a music class about the Beatles, so we decided to go through his collection and listen to all the stuff that would be on the test. He insisted that I knew more Beatles songs that I thought I knew, so we ended up listening to EVERY CD he had. Yep, it took quite a while because he has all of them. When I heard "I Will," I thought "oooooh!"

Fast forward another year or two. I was an unemployed college graduate wasting my days unearthing all sorts of stuff on the internet for amusement. We're talking Kids, Inc. webpages, all kinds of guilty pleasures. I was looking at some movies at amazon so I clicked on their recommendations and then kept going. About 20 minutes later, a link to "Love Affair" popped up and I remembered that I had seen the movie once. I started reading the customer reviews, and there were a bunch of people asking about the song that the kids sang. I thought YEAH, that's what I want to know! And then I found out that it was in fact "I Will" by the Beatles, the very song that had made me go "oooooh!"

And then I felt like an idiot for not putting 2 + 2 together sooner.

:oops:

You don't have to share an embarrassing story - just tell us what your favorite Beatles song is.

:D

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Oct 15th 2002, 3:33 pm

Hey girl! 8) You know I love this stuff...

Do I just have to pick one? If so, it's Blackbird. I just love the melody, and the delicate guitar. Plus, it's a love that was passed down, so to speak. It was my dad's favorite too, and that means a lot to me.

I'm taking guitar lessons next year (will be a Christmas present from my hubby :) ...sweet huh?). Anyway, that song will be something I'll work towards learning.

I also really love:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Something
Golden Slumbers (into Carry that Weight)
Strawberry Fields Forever
Dear Prudence

:)
SCF
"You're sooo beautiful, it HURTS to look at you."

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 16th 2002, 12:35 pm

hi friends!

i'm affraid to admit I'm not too big of a beatles fan, but I do love the song dear prudence. still working on that desert island music list...

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Oct 16th 2002, 2:17 pm

My personal favorite is "Octopusses' Garden," but since I am The Pirate, "Yellow Submarine" may be more appropriate.

Aarg

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 16th 2002, 4:03 pm

I'm not a big Beatles fan myself :shock: , but I do love Let It Be. That, and Shake it Baby.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 16th 2002, 4:15 pm

One of the reasons that I chose the Beatles rather than another musical group is that even people who don't like the Beatles and don't own a single Beatles CD have a Beatles song that they like.

Keep 'em coming!

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Oct 16th 2002, 4:43 pm

I've probably heard a lot of their stuff and just don't realize who it is.

But i do quite like Blackbird because i used to know how to play it on the guitar and it was a fun piece to play.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 16th 2002, 4:53 pm

One part that I left out of my original story is that when I was listening to all my boyfriend's Beatles CDs, I kept looking at the cases and saying, "Gawd, there are only three songs on this CD - why don't you just get a greatest hits compilation or something?" and he kept telling me, "Wait until you listen to the whole CD - you know more songs than you THINK you know."

He was right. Again.

TessD1891
Overlooked Sibling

Post by TessD1891 » Oct 16th 2002, 11:08 pm

candygirl wrote:One of the reasons that I chose the Beatles rather than another musical group is that even people who don't like the Beatles and don't own a single Beatles CD have a Beatles song that they like.

Keep 'em coming!
That's true. I'm not a fan at all, but I do love Michelle. (Not a surprise- it's my name. :wink: )
Brian, we're not talking about wallpaper here, are we.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 16th 2002, 11:14 pm

If I absolutely had to pick my favorite, I'd say A Day In the Life (last song on Sgt. pepper's). Put there's so many, here's a few:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Julia
In My Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight

So many more...
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 17th 2002, 5:31 pm

Lucy in the Sky or Day in the Life. there are so many great Beatle songs though. every one mentioned i could listen to for hours and not get bored :D
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Oct 18th 2002, 10:55 am

Hmm maybe I'll get the rath of all those "Yoko killed the band" people but I love The Ballad of John and Yoko.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 18th 2002, 3:01 pm

I'm not sure why people get so fuzzy with that "Yoko broke up the band" business - maybe someone cast a magic spell that made everyone forget that Paul was already off doing his own solo thing by then and George was off with Ravi Shankar getting mystical. Why doesn't anyone ever blame Linda?

:wink:

Besides, I think that having four members of a band each record their portions of the album separately is a pretty good indication that they're well on the road to breaking up.

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Oct 18th 2002, 6:51 pm

Yeah, Blaming Yoko for breaking up the Beatles is like blaming Claire Danes for the cancellation of MSCL.

"You can be my Yoko Ono"-Barenaked Ladies
"The finish line is my happy place."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 18th 2002, 7:29 pm

dTheater wrote:If I absolutely had to pick my favorite, I'd say A Day In the Life
Definitely A Day in the Life. One of the best songs ever written.

Otherwise there is:

I'll Follow the Sun (sentimental value)
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Helter Skelter
Revolution 9
Sgt. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band

and many more