MSCL WorldConvention 2004 - 2nd poll

Use this forum to coordinate meetings with other "Lifeheads" from around the world - be it online or in "real life".

I would prefer (and I would attend) convention in (summer) 2004...

Get-together "just for us" on the east coast (probably north-east)
16%
Convention in L.A. with cast & crew, maybe including Q&A session
84%

Total votes: 19

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

MSCL WorldConvention 2004 - 2nd poll

Post by Sascha » Nov 5th 2003, 6:16 pm

To pick up candygirl's question in http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29039#29039 here's another poll:

"Do we plan for LA in the hopes of getting MSCL cast/crew, or do we plan for elsewhere and resign ourselves to having just us (no cast/crew)?"

In the last poll 42% voted for "any north-east city" and 15% for "any city".

If we pursue the LA-path, I'd suggest we try to organise this convention around August 25th (10th anniversary). Problems: It's probably hot as hell around that time of year(?) and cast/crew may still be on vacation. But that's a question for the next poll... ;-)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 5th 2003, 6:39 pm

I would rather try for LA because I think that this is a big deal - the 10 year anniversary of the show AND the first MSCL convention - so I would prefer to try to have cast/crew there. The reason most people go to cons is for the opportunity to meet the cast/crew and to meet fellow fans. We already have the fans covered, but I think it would be THAT much better if we could get any of the cast/crew there as well. LA won't be any hotter than most other American cities in August (the plus side being that it will be a drier heat :wink: ).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 5th 2003, 7:32 pm

This is my take on it. East Coast for me is better, that is my own personal opinion. If it is in LA I will most likely not be attending, so might vote automatically goes for smaller on the East Coast.

I also voted as smaller East Coast because I think it would be a large task to take on to try and pull a convention like that off without any prior experience. If you would be having a convention that would include guest speakers and the like you have to be trying to bring in the public. You honestly have to think about who would really come to a convention for MSCL. It is one thing to have a site that is pretty damn active for a 10 year old show, than it is to have a con where people will pay money to get in (and possibly stay at the hotel), other than us members here. You also need to worry about people working the event, no matter how small the con is you need to worry about any equipment being used (TVs, DVD players, etc) to make sure that they are not lifted. There are tons of factors involved really.

I do think it comes down to would it be even possible to pull in the amount of people that it would take to get something on that scale to work. And then, what if you under judge the amount and it turns into a clusterF.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 5th 2003, 8:46 pm

The reality is that unless someone is going to volunteer to host this at their house, we will have to rent a room somewhere. Most places will have you rent the equipment along with the room (which includes a technician to carry the equipment in and set it up - they don't want anyone to hurt themselves on their property).

Of all the things that we have mentioned so far as being part of the convention, the room/rental equipment is the main expense. Even if we don't rent any equipment - meaning no watching the DVDs or other movies - we still need to rent a room (unless we are going to have everyone fly in and meet at TGI Friday's).

I can't speak for any of the cast/crew but I have a feeling that some of them would be willing to speak for free (or at least Winnie who did a Q&A for a class at UC Berkeley) so hopefully that won't be an additional expense. I don't mean this in a derogatory manner towards anyone associated with MSCL, but it's not like we're asking Harrison Ford to come to a Star Wars convention. Many of the sci fi guests charge a lot for con appearances because they can - they know it's a commercial enterprise where the organizers charge people $30 for one autograph. Hopefully the MSCL cast/crew will understand that this is purely non-profit and agree to come for free.

No matter where we hold this, people are going to have to pay for hotel rooms unless we are having a sleepover at someone's house. If we rent a conference room at a hotel, they will most likely offer a discounted rate to anyone who wants to stay at that hotel.

I agree that we don't want to bite off more than we can chew, but what we are talking about right now is a room rental (along with a tv/dvd player, tables and chairs, and microphones) and contacting the cast/crew to see if they are interested in speaking or attending. As it stands right now, the only suggestions for activities have been the MSCL marathon, a meet and greet for everyone attending, and a Q&A. As long as we don't become overly ambitious and try to add a million other activities, I think this is very doable.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

convention

Post by lance » Nov 6th 2003, 1:27 pm

Hello all,

Given my approaching exodus to Las Vegas, I am all in favor of an LA Convention.

This being said, I have worked on campaigns and volunteer events, some went well and some went very, very badly. I just went to a Mini-South Park convention that had 20-22 people, was held at someone's house and was a blast.

I think if the MSCL.com Community is really going to do this in LA, we need a single person to take "ownership" and be in charge of this effort. Too many people in charge leads to absolute chaos as far as organizing goes.

Whoever is in charge obviously cannot do everything by themselves. This person will need delegate responsiblities and duties. Someone to greet people at the airport and take them to there hotels. Someone to be a trouble shooter with a handy cell phone to direct lost and meandering MSCLers. Someone to price hotel and and convention space. Someone to send out the e-mail or mail reminders about the convention. All of the little details have to be attended to for things to run smoothly before the convention, during and after (possible clean up).

I am certainly willing to help organize in whatever way I can. My feeling is that Candygirl, should she want to do this, would be the best choice for being in charge of the possible MSCL convention in LA. Granted I am somewhat biased in this regard, but Candy has the enthusiasm, organization and sheer spunk to pull this off.

Some thoughts to think on.

LanceMan

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 10th 2003, 10:25 pm

I would be willing to go
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 21st 2021, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 11th 2003, 1:06 am

pgh kenny wrote:Here's my deal:

I would be willing to go to LA... it seems to me, however, that no matter where the convention is, the attendance will not be high enough to afford anything fancy like ballroom rental, etc.
That is exactly my point, I really think we can not think too large about this where ever it is held.

How about a east coast & west coast meet simulcast to each other live via the web ;)

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 11th 2003, 2:53 pm

I think this is a great idea.
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 21st 2021, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 12th 2003, 2:25 am

Sadly, I don't think I'd be able to get out to either locale for a near-future convention. They found tunnel one and filled it last month, tunnel two is encountering more bedrock than anticipated, and tunnel three had to be temporarily abandoned due to increased patrols along the north wall.

:P

I might be game for video-conferencing, though.

:)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

Post by guitarchick » Dec 7th 2003, 9:29 pm

I was just curious to know if there's been any more planning or anything about this convention idea... I still think it's a brilliant one!

Emilie