Forbidden Movie(s)

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Forbidden Movie(s)

Post by lance » Feb 12th 2006, 8:28 pm

Hey all,

So every seen a movie that your parents disapproved of? Was the movie worth seeing simply for the thrill of the forbidden?

For me it was Max Dugan Returns which has finally, finally made it onto DVD.

Early 80s movie starring Jason Robards, a younger Donald Sutherland and a very young Matthew Broderick. Written by Neil Simon it is a light hearted comedy that tells of a struggling teacher and her son leaving in LA. Struggling until Nora's (played by Marsha Mason) long lost father (Jason Robards)shows up.

Great lines. Saw it in the early 80s with my sibs. At the time we were living a lifestyle pretty close to the one lived by Nora and her son Michael in the movie. Not much money, appliances and cars giving out constantly.

It was the forbidden movie because literally everytime we watched it one of our appliances died: the dishwasher, the washer, the dryer, the refrigerator. Until mom said: "Enough!" We were not allowed to watch it for fear of more dead appliances and costly repairs.

Brings back many, many memories. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Well worth your time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007W ... ance&n=130

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 17th 2006, 10:00 am

Hm. I don't think I have one. My parents were pretty easygoing and I don't think I was ever told 'you can't see that.' Although obviously if they had found out I'd been watching 18-cert movies at the age of 4 it would not have been good. If they'd had any sense they would have banned Labyrinth from the house, on the grounds that my brother and I used to go around the house groaning 'Smell Baaaaad...' a la Ludo, and calling each other's rooms the Bog of Eternal Stench. I can imagine it must have been quite unamusing after the 2000th incident.

I can list the ones I wish had been forbidden:
Fright Night. I watched this when I was around 10 (at a sleepover) and I had serious nightmares and trouble sleeping for weeks.
Bad Taste - directed by Peter Jackson, no less. And yes, I watched it when it was first released on good old-fashioned VHS. It wasn't my idea. I refused to watch more than half an hour.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 17th 2006, 11:57 pm

starbug wrote: If they'd had any sense they would have banned Labyrinth from the house, on the grounds that my brother and I used to go around the house groaning 'Smell Baaaaad...' a la Ludo, and calling each other's rooms the Bog of Eternal Stench. I can imagine it must have been quite unamusing after the 2000th incident.
:rofl:

That is one of the movies my sibs and I have seen, far too many times. Good memories.

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 18th 2006, 12:29 pm

When my brother and I were little (around 4 and 7) we were asking my parents what the 70s were like, disco, etc. So they decided to watch Saturday Night Fever with us, thinking that it would be a perfect example of the music, clothes, and dancing. I should mention that it had been a while since they saw the movie - probably when they were still dating. Anyway, we started watching it and it was fine for a little while... until the sex and swearing started up, which my folks didn't remember. I can remember my dad putting his arm straight out in front of both our little faces, and coming up with an excuse why we had to stop the movie. Haha!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Feb 22nd 2006, 3:07 pm

The one that sticks out in my mind is Dirty Dancing. My parents rented it when it came out on VHS and I remember we weren't allowed downstairs while they watched it. Now it's one of my favorite movies. Funny that I wasn't allowed to watch it at one time!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2007, 9:27 pm

My parents weren't very strict about that kind of thing. I'm not sure if I was just completely oblivious to inappropriate movies or if I had no interest in seeing inappropriate movies, but I can't think of any movies I really wanted to see that my parents refused to let me watch.

Of course, my parents also took my seven year old self and my six year old sister to see Porky's in the theater, so that might explain a few things.

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?