Rent

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Rent

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2005, 12:02 am

I saw this play back in the day and loved it, so I was SOOO excited when I heard they were going to make it into a movie. There have been false alarms and all kinds of delays/changes in directors, but the movie is coming out in November! There are two trailers so far:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/rent/

http://movies.aol.com/movie_exclusive_rent_clip

I am disappointed that they recast two of the roles (the other main characters are from the original Broadway cast), partly because Rosario Dawson (who is playing Mimi in the movie bugs me) but mostly because I love Daphne Rubin Vega.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 28th 2005, 4:34 am

Didn't also Wilson Cruz perform in the original play at some time?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2005, 5:24 am

He played the role of Angel at the La Jolla Playhouse, where the original touring company began, then he performed with the Los Angeles cast for two months. He was supposed to do the national tour, but just before he was supposed to start the tour, they asked him to go to New York because the actor who originated the role on Broadway (interestingly another actor named Wilson!) was leaving to join the London cast.

Wilson Cruz as Angel

You can also read a review of the LA show when Wilson was in the cast (jncludes another picture of Wilson as Angel).

Wilson earned a Theatre LA Ovation Award for Featured Actor in a Musical and a Drama Logue Award.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Rent

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 1st 2010, 4:23 am

This isn't on topic of Rent being turned into a film, but, I didn't want to start a new thread:

Okay, WHO thought it would be okay to take 'Seasons of Love' and use it for a Macy's commercial??? Seriously, that's verging on criminal. (I turn on actual live television for the first time in, like, seven months, and this was the first thing I saw. Very disheartening.)

Speaking of the movie though, I found it very hard to watch. I didn't altogether dislike it; it was just a weird experience (which itself is weird to say because I grew up watching musicals). I think I remember being happy with "Take Me or Leave Me", but the song's so good, it's a hard one to mess up. It's been so long now since I saw this movie in theaters, I can't really put a finger on what struck me as slightly off, but I have a memory of thinking 'Why are they moving during "Rent"? They're supposed to be singing into each other's faces'; and 'Who are all of those other people singing with them from their windows?' and, 'Mark's not supposed to be riding a bike right now.' It's silly I know; obviously a film is staged differently than a play, yada yada yada... I don't usually react to adaptations this way, but there were just moments throughout that seemed, I don't know, visually wrong. (I guess Phantom felt a little strange too, but that was mainly because they changed some of the arrangements, and because characters spoke lines that were originally sung. And, much as I love her, I couldn't negotiate Minnie Driver as Carlotta.)
Worst part of Rent: The Movie, for me, was when they cut to Roger rocking out with the Santa Fe rock formations; it just looked absurd (and fake).
I can't remember what I thought of Rosario Dawson as Mimi (I generally really like her though (CG, did you at least like her in Sin City?) I do remember being shocked by how thin she was. It was funny to see a much older Adam Pascal; all the little drama kids of that persuasion had crushes on him in high school :oops:

Anyway, maybe the movie's like Return of the King or Life Aquatic, not what I was expecting, so a second, or multiple viewings after the lowered, or, readjusted expectations, helps me to enjoy it for what it is...
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !