Open Water

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Open Water

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 15th 2005, 4:50 pm

Has anyone else seen this movie? I rented over my spring break last week and really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend Open Water if you are into "real-life" situations in movies. It's an independent film, and only cost around $130,000 I read.

Two divers are stranded in the ocean after an incorrect head-count on their boat. The water is infested with many creatures, including sharks. No CG or special effects on this film. Don't expect another Jaws! But do expect terror and intensity. Open Water is based on an real couple that was left in the same situation in 1998.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 15th 2005, 9:20 pm

I enjoyed it. I was surprised by how short a time they were in the water. I do remember thinking that [spoiler]when the wife drowned herself, if that's what happened, that it looked too easy -- she disappeared with no struggle or splashes, and they had already cut their diving weights...[/spoiler] but that is just a small comment. I really did think very highly of the film. It created good tension, and I really liked seeing how the ways they dealt with their situation and each other changed over the course of time they spent in the water. I think what I enjoyed most were the DVD special features listening to what the filmmakers had to say about their film and the filmmaking process. I think I'd rate those special features as some of the best on DVDs.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 16th 2005, 12:55 am

Did you read about the real couple the movie was based on, the Lonergans? If you google "Lonergan diver" a lot of links come up with their story. I agree - the movie couple weren't in the water long enough to make it desperate enough. But that's moviemaking for you. I really liked how the names of the characters are the same as the actors names. The dvd extras were good too, but I was expecting more from the "behind the scenes: in the water with the director" thing, but it was only 2min long.

The movie made me think of when I was in 9th grade we disected sharks in my biology class. They were small though, a full grown one was about 2 - 2.5 feet long. Some of them were pregnant! My teacher told us that the two best ways to get rid of a shark that's near you is 1) stick your face under water and scream at the top of your lungs at it, and 2) punch it straight on the tip of its nose. That's where the brain is located, so if you punch it right in that spot you'll stun it senseless, literally! But you better have good aim, because if you punch a little low you can say goodbye to your forearm. Nice, huh?
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 16th 2005, 12:58 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:I do remember thinking that [spoiler]when the wife drowned herself, if that's what happened, that it looked too easy -- she disappeared with no struggle or splashes, and they had already cut their diving weights...[/spoiler]
Jody - [spoiler]she could have been so dehydrated that she had no enery and just slipped into sleep underwater to drown. But I agree it looked like she drowned herself on purpose.[/spoiler]

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Mar 20th 2005, 2:33 pm

I saw this this weekend - No DVD extras on the UK release, apparently, unless they're super-hidden easter egg style.

I liked it. Or I hated it... I think I mean I appreciated it for a clever piece of film-making which was very good in terms of character exploration and building suspense. But it gave me nightmares, and that's never good. I cannot imagine the horror of being in that situation, and the way the film was shot made it so real you could reach out and touch the tension.

[spoiler]she definitely drowned herself. and given her situation I'm pretty sure I would have done the same thing. I think the mental trauma of seeing your partner effectively eaten alive slowly by sharks would overcome anyone. Now couple it with the fact that she's in a feeding frenzy of sharks and it's only a matter of time before she suffers the same fate. I imagine that in those circumstances it's pretty easy to slip below the surface and breathe in some water, in the knowledge that it's a lot less painful than being sharkbait.[/spoiler]

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 20th 2005, 4:25 pm

This thread is getting very morbid. But still interesting. Upon watching it again last night, I still feel that I liked the movie. [spoiler]I agree that she drowned herself, and you're probably right starbug - it wouldn't be hard to do, given the apparent hopelessness of the situation and having to see your partner taken by sharks. But look at her face right before she dips under water - she looks like she is just delirious and about ready to pass out anyway. Great for tension, I think.[/spoiler]

~~Kristin~~

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 22nd 2005, 3:21 am

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I wanted to share this. I heard it on the radio a while back and this thread made me remember it.

I didn't read all the spoilers in this thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned....
[spoiler]
I know that they die in the movie, since the died in RL. What I heard on the radio is that there are some conspiracy theories out there that the real couple actually faked the whole incident and their death. I don't know specifics but I remember something about their scuba gear showing up in a weird location. I am sure a Google would show some results about this.[/spoiler]

I will eventually get around to seeing this, but it just isn't a high priority at this time.

Edited to add:

[spoiler] a quick google brought this up telegraph.co.uk/htmlContent.jhtml?html=%2Farchive%2F1998%2F04%2F26%2Fwaus26.html

Just add www to it. I had to take it off to trick the spoiler tag.[/spoiler]

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 22nd 2005, 10:43 am

I read about the real couple too, fnordboy. [spoiler]I can't say what I believe happened because I was not there and don't know all the particulars. Maybe it's just one of those Amelia Earheart moments. Humans need to rationalize away everything and make everything sensical - they can't handle chaos or the unexplained. So who knows? I read something that said a reason for the woman's wet suit being found (it DID have shark bites in it, by the way) but no body is that the couple would have been so delirious from dehydration and the sun after two and a half days that they started shedding their clothes & equiptment... because they were delirious. Again, I'm no expert, so I don't know. It's just something I read on the internet.[/spoiler]

This thread is all spoilers!

~~Kristin~~