The Aquatic Life with Steve Zissou

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

The Aquatic Life with Steve Zissou

Post by lance » Dec 27th 2004, 11:27 pm

This movie has received mixed reviews.

Went last night with my brother and had a ball. Hilarious, ironic, occasionally absurd and even touching, I recommend seeing it, especially if you could use a laugh.

[spoiler] The commando scene where they go to save the accountant was too much. Especially the shot of them coming over the wave towards the shore was a stitch. The running gag throughout is that one of the crew, played by a Brazilian singer, sings David Bowie songs in Portuguese.[/spoiler]

-LanceMan

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Dec 28th 2004, 2:15 pm

I really really want to see it.
I love both Bill Murray, and Jeff Goldblum.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 31st 2004, 2:02 am

Is it similar in style to The Royal Tenenbaums and other Wes Anderson movies? Because I've liked his other stuff. Well, I'll probably end up waiting until this one comes out on dvd, I never have enough money or time to go to the theatre.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 31st 2004, 11:19 pm

Kristin wrote:Is it similar in style to The Royal Tenenbaums and other Wes Anderson movies? Because I've liked his other stuff. Well, I'll probably end up waiting until this one comes out on dvd, I never have enough money or time to go to the theatre.
I understand that it is in a similar vein. I hear you about time and money. May 2005 bring you more of both.

:D

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 2nd 2005, 12:25 am

Hopefully! I still have quite a bit of school ahead of me, however. But there is always the summer! Life Aquatic is on my list of films-to-see.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 2nd 2005, 2:43 pm

I think I saw about 8 films over the break. it was fantastic. but I can always use the excuse that I'm a film student to feel better about spending the money. even with a student discount a matinee is still $5!! yikes!

I saw The Life Aquatic... it was pretty entertaining. Bill Murray is just so funny in a metallic blue scuba suit. the funniest scene to me is the one they use for the trailler. where it has him dancing in his suit to the music feed. and also all of the weird animals in the clearly fake underwater scenes. a silly film that I completely reccommend!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 4th 2005, 11:45 pm

emmie wrote:I think I saw about 8 films over the break. it was fantastic. but I can always use the excuse that I'm a film student to feel better about spending the money. even with a student discount a matinee is still $5!! yikes!

I saw The Life Aquatic... it was pretty entertaining. Bill Murray is just so funny in a metallic blue scuba suit. the funniest scene to me is the one they use for the trailler. where it has him dancing in his suit to the music feed. and also all of the weird animals in the clearly fake underwater scenes. a silly film that I completely reccommend!
That was a great scene. Also good is the many scenes with his loyal German follower Klaus, played by Wilhem Dafoe.

[spoiler]
Klaus: I don't won't to be on B Team! I am always on B Team.

Steve: Klaus, your the leader of B Team.

:D [/spoiler]

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 30th 2005, 8:41 pm

Just picked up the soundtrack, pretty good stuff.

Seu Jorge's stuff is great even though I don't know any Portuguese. Track 16 Ping Island/Lightning Strike Rescue Op is by far the best. Can't wait to get the DVD.

-LanceMan