Favorite Movies???

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Dengar
Jody Barsh

Re: Favorite Movies???

Post by Dengar » Jan 24th 2002, 6:13 pm

top 10:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Taxi Driver
3. Rushmore
4. 2001: A Space Odessey
5. Bottle Rocket
6. Pulp Fiction
7. the Godfather
8. A Clockwork Orange
9. American Graffiti
10. Star Wars

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jan 28th 2002, 10:12 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jerry Maguire. It's definitely one of my favorites, and in that sort of all-around kind of category. I love Witness too.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jan 28th 2002, 10:15 pm

Almost Famous is so great, that and Jerry Maguire being favorites...Cameron Crowe is so good! And I love What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Romeo & Juliet.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jan 28th 2002, 10:25 pm

Some faves I haven't mentioned:

Legends of the Fall
The Crucible
Mermaids
Clueless (classic! I know all the lines)
How to Make an American Quilt
Moulin Rouge
The Bodyguard
To Kill A Mockingbird
That Thing You Do! (so cute-I've seen it a million times)
Girl, Interrupted

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 29th 2002, 12:29 am

Alee, since you mentioned loving Clueless, which I also dug, I'm wondering if you ever watched the series and what you thought of that.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 2nd 2002, 8:05 pm

Arrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! There are so many I don't know where to start and I can tell you that I certainly won't remember them all.....so here's a general low down......not in any particular order

The Bridges of Madison County
Dances with Wolves
Twister
The River Wild
10 Things I hate about you
Sixth Sense
Good Will Hunting
Tombstone
Miss Congeniality
Falling Down
Empire of the Sun
Mask
What Lies Beneath
City Slickers
Beaches
Shirley Valentine
Alive
Seven
White Men Can't Jump
Amadeus
Titanic
Mrs Doubtfire
The Wedding Singer
Schlinder's List
The Back to the Future Trilogy
When Harry Met Sally
Overboard
Parenthood
Point Break
Speed
Erin Brockovich
Roger Rabbit
It's a Wonderful Life
Wildflower
E.T
The Story of Us.........

All to name but a few.......

Interesting to see everyone else's choices too :0)

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 4th 2002, 1:18 pm

Wow, JoAnn --- That's some list. You must be really into this (or else have a lot of time on your hands! (Sorry, I should talk --- I have a pretty long list myself!).

Here's an abbreviated list of my favorites (no particular order):

Aliens (Best scary/sci-fi/action-thriller ever made)
Doctor Zhivago (This film teaches me more about life than any other.)
Solaris (A Russian sci-fi film of a Polish writer's short story)
A River Runs Through It (A much deeper film than it appears on the surface)
Dead Poet's Society (Despite some cliches, still very inspiring)
2001: A Space Oddyssey (Music carries the story... very cool)
Schindler's List (It even transcends the familiarity of the topic)

It's funny, though --- I would rank my favorite TV shows higher than my favorite films. I think when TV is great, It can do so much more than the 2-4 hour limitation of films. Favorite TV shows: "MSCL", the first season of "NYPD Blue", and the first 3-4 years of "X-Files".

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 5th 2002, 5:23 am

Joanna, I can tell by your list that you are a movie freak like me. We have a number of movies in common, namely:
~ The Bridges of Madison County (always breaks my heart how bittersweet this one is).
~ 10 Things I Hate About You (Heath Ledger is so great).
~ Sixth Sense (loved the unexpected twist to this one).
~ Good Will Hunting (wondering if Matt Damon and Ben Affleck can ever capture this magic again).
~ Miss Congeniality (Sandra Bullock proved she's just as good in front of the camera as she is behind it).
~ Titanic (despite the hype, I still love it and can watch it over and over again).
~ The Wedding Singer (absolutely classic with both the music and the comedy).
~ Schindler's List (so powerful that it simply leaves you speechless).

Oldguy, you had some great ones on your list, too, especially the Aliens series and Dead Poets Society (so touching). As for favorite TV shows, I think the reason we might like them more than movies is because there's more time to get to know the characters and really care about them. In addition to MSCL, I absolutely adore La Femme Nikita, Highlander: The Series, Mutant X, 24, Alias, Kindred: The Embraced, Forever Knight, Real World and Bands on the Run.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 5th 2002, 9:44 am

Glanced through the lists but didn't see Before Sunrise listed in anyone elses list. For Lifers this is a great movie. It stars Ethan Hawk (Down Girls!!!) and Julie Deply(sp?)

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 5th 2002, 7:22 pm

Wow - yeah! I forgot to put 'Aliens' and 'A River Runs Through it' on my list (I love the end to a River Runs through it).....Terminator 2 is cool too (which I hope they don't spoil by making a number 3....the only Aliens that was really any good was number 2 IMHO)! And yes Oldguy - I think I have too much time on my hands LOL!.....and with inspiration from Angela, I (that's me) 'I spell my name with two A's' (JoannA not Joanne!!!!!) Ggrrrrrr

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Feb 5th 2002, 7:25 pm

I have seen this one and I have to say it did very little for me if I remember rightly.....but I have only seen it once and do get bored of that Julie Deply's pouting all the time lol!! Was she in 'a Warewolf in Paris' too?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Before Sunrise, Terminator

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 6th 2002, 4:21 am

Mike, I loved Before Sunrise and am glad you mentioned it because it's been quite a while since I've seen that one. I'm sensing a trip to the video store in the near future. And you were close on the spellings. Leave it to a journalist to reveal that it's Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, who did appear in An American Werewolf in Paris.

As for the Terminator series, Joanna, I'm with you on hoping that the third movie isn't a bust, especially since James Cameron will not be working on it. It will be interesting to have a female terminator in the mix and also to see John Connor a bit more grown up. I can't wait to see whom they cast as the female terminator and who is picked to age Edward Furlong's former role.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Favorite Movies??? - Ghost World

Post by dTheater » Feb 8th 2002, 12:48 am

Okay, I just saw a movie called Ghost World and I just had to mention it in this thread because it's maybe the best movie I've seen since Magnolia, and that was over 2 years ago. It's an indy film that came out in the summer of 2001, so if you're not constantly reading about new movie releases and whatnot, chances are you've never heard of it. Anyways, it stars Thora Birch (American Beauty) and Steve Buscemi (who doesn't like him?) and it's about 2 girls who've just graduated high school and are faced with the serious delimma of what to do next. But this is by no means you're typical "teen comedy" like American Pie or...American Pie 2. This is more along the lines of a very intelligent comedy about teenagers like Election. I related to all 3 of the major characters in a big way. I very strongly recommend this movie to anyone who likes music, or liked MSCL (I guess that's everyone here) or just has a bleak outlook on people. The lead character is kind of like Angela in a way. Anyway, just had to get this off my chest because I haven't liked a movie this much in a long time, and the last 2 years have been terrible movies years.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 8th 2002, 6:04 am

Thanx for the tip on Ghost World, dTheater. I hadn't heard of this movie before, but strangely enough, a co-worker asked me yesterday if I had heard of it. He mentioned it getting a ton of critical acclaim, and then what do I find when I drop by here? I think it's a sign. Video store here I come!

chosephine
Jody Barsh

Post by chosephine » Feb 8th 2002, 10:05 am

I mentioned Ghost World in my original post as one of the best movies that I'd seen in the past year, but I think I'm going to have to add it to my list of all-time favorites. It's dark and bitingly funny and intelligent- everything that I want a movie to be. I thought that it perfectly captured that time of limbo between graduation and "the real world" without being sentimental or cheesy. And everyone gave wonderful perfomances, especially Thora Birch and Steve Buscemi (who were both nominated for Golden Globes). So basically what I'm saying is that I completely agree with you dTheater, and would highly reccomend this movie to anyone who... well, just anyone.