Favorite Movies???

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Megs
Lifehead

Re: Favorite Movies??? - Ghost World

Post by Megs » Jul 22nd 2004, 10:03 am

Sascha (sab) wrote: Thora Birch steals the show in almost every scene and Steve Buscemi -- wow, that must be one of his best movies. He fits so perfectly into this character.
I personally think that his best movie is The Wedding Singer:

"I'm a man, too, Bob, God damnit! I'm a man too!"

"That's a good wedding singer."

"Oooo, I like her."

LOL, I kid, I kid. I loved Ghost World, too, especially b/c of the performances of both Steve Buscemi and Charlotte Johansson. I think she is beautiful.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 28th 2004, 1:17 pm

Megs wrote:Charlotte Johansson. I think she is beautiful.
Scarlett, but I agree, she is stunning.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 28th 2004, 2:39 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:
Whoops, I think I confused her with a character of that name in The Baby-Sitters Club book series. Oh, god, I haven't read those in years. I think I'm finally going crazy.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 28th 2004, 3:03 pm

Megs wrote:
Jody Barsch* wrote:
Whoops, I think I confused her with a character of that name in The Baby-Sitters Club book series. Oh, god, I haven't read those in years. I think I'm finally going crazy.
Also, wasn't her character's name Charlotte in Lost in Translation?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 28th 2004, 3:18 pm

Megs wrote:
Jody Barsch* wrote:
Hahaha, yes, Charlotte Johanssen from the Babysitters Club! I totally remember reading those books!

:oops:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 12th 2004, 8:28 am

Heh, I'm kinda proud of myself; I finally solved a fairly complex mystery movie before the final exposition. It was The Life Of David Gale, which BTW is quite good, although if I could figure it out maybe it would be too simple for the average mystery fan. (Half the time I can't even comprehend a good mystery after the big ending!)

:oops:

:)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 12th 2004, 9:33 am

Cool - I love it when that happens! I saw that film (I concur; it is pretty good) and I spotted the twist around about the time I think you were supposed to spot it; about 10 mins from the end of the movie. But then that always happens to me.

Except in Sixth Sense, where I got it the second the wedding ring fell on the floor. :D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Aug 12th 2004, 10:48 am

The movie in my avatar "Tale of Two Sisters". I spotted the twist within 2 minutes of the movie starting. Pissed me off, because it wasn't anything in the movie particularly that did it. It was more the movie poster/DVD cover.

It isn't extremely obvious though. And all in all it is a great movie even with knowing the "twist". There are several twists in it so it still kept me somewhat on my toes.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 21st 2004, 10:24 pm

Every now and then I get a big yearning for Paul Newman and Robert Redford movies... I have been enjoying all my favorites the past couple of days:
Cool Hand Luke
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
This Property is Condemned
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Hud
The Long Hot Summer
The Hustler
Great Gatsby

Oh, I love it! Throw in a little early Warren Beaty circa Splendor in the Grass, and I'm in heaven. I just love early Paul Newman movies!

On another note, I saw Storytelling by Todd Solondz a few weeks ago (Welcome to the Dollhouse and Happiness). I liked it; less than I liked Dollhouse, more than I liked Happiness.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Aug 25th 2004, 12:28 pm

The only movie I ever figured out quickly was 'The Crying Game'. The second that guy/girl shows up on the screen, I was like "That's a guy!". Has anyone seen 'Primal Fear"? I found that movie to be impossible to figure out. I really thought I had it nailed about 5 minutes before the end, and was all proud of myself for being clever.....only to find I had no idea of how it would all play out. I would recommend seeing this to y'all. Edward Norton does an amazing job! Should have gotten the best-supporting Oscar IMHO.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 25th 2004, 1:14 pm

I am a HUGE Edward Norton fan, and he was great in Primal Fear. (I loved that Primal Fear was the first movie he made and then he went out and did Everyone Says I Love You as his second.) I was never given the chance to figure Primal Fear out because my dad told me the whole storyline before I ever saw it (I think I was too young to see R rated films when it was in theaters, so he just assumed I'd never see it). I do remember figuring Sixth Sense out very early in the film, but I'm still working on The Usual Suspects, as the only two times I've seen it I've been falling asleep :oops:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 26th 2004, 4:58 am

I loved Primal Fear - Ed Norton is such a fabulous actor. I've seen lots of his films and I'm never disappointed. I have to say I didn't get Primal Fear any earlier than the big caboosh that was the ending...

Usual Suspects - Jody, make the effort to stay awake. it's honestly worth it in the end. :D

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 29th 2004, 9:40 pm

~MY TOP 20 LIST~

~ Mulholland Drive (Favorite movie)
~ Showgirls
~ About a boy
~ Talented Mr.Ripley
~ Picnic at Hanging Rock
~ Catch me if you can
~ Titanic
~ Butterfly Effect
~ Basil
~ Swimming Pool
~ Duplex
~ Cruel Intentions
~ Lost and Delerious
~ Femme Fatale
~ Here On Earth
~ Just Married
~ Wild Things (1&2)
~ Wrong Turn
~ Stir of Echoes
~ Trial and Error

Im a huge movie fan, I just wanted to list some of my Favorites!

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Oct 17th 2004, 2:02 pm

My favorite movies (Top 20)

1. The Bourne Identity (2002) (Great story, lead actors, locations)
2. Terminator 2
3. Goldfinger (Ultimate James Bond movie)
4. The Bourne Supremacy (Great sequel to The Bourne Identity 2002)
5. Good Will Hunting
6. Ronin
7. X2: X-Men United
8. The Rainmaker (Claire Danes is really good in this movie even though her part is very small)
9. Run Lola Run (Franka Potente is hot)
10. Unbreakable
11. The Silence of the Lambs
12. Red Dragon
13. 8 Mile
14. Ocean's Eleven
15. Terminator 3 (Good Claire Danes movie)
16. Spiderman
17. Spiderman 2
18. Shrek
19. Jerry Maguire (was in my top 20 before I even realized there was the connections between it and MSCL)
20. From Russia with Love (Ultimate James Bond story)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 18th 2004, 12:44 am

Recently just saw a great movie -- Broken Wings -- it is really good! (In Hebrew with subtitles)