Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Post by Nothingman » Nov 8th 2004, 3:32 pm

The Teaser can now be seen at http://www.starwars.com.

I like how they incorporated the footage from A New Hope. I trying not to prejudge this one, but the teaser has a similar feel to that of Episode 2. I hope it's a bit more drab and less comic bookish than its predicessor and more in the direction of the orginals.

I find they title "Revenge of the Sith" interesting and very fitting. Lucas stated in the docementary on the new Trilogy DVD's that "Return of the Jedi" was orginally called "Revenge of the Jedi" but he thought that revenge was not in a Jedi's nature so he changed it.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 13th 2004, 12:30 am

I am sort of torn on this one. Given how badly Lucas mangled Episodes I & II, IMHO, I am not really eager to see this one. And yet...to date I have only walked out on one movie in my life, Highlander III, so I might as well see how things finish.

Is it too much to hope that Jar Jar gets killed by Vader?

-LanceMan

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 13th 2004, 8:02 pm

You walked out of Highlander III, but not Highlander II? Rediculous!

Anyways, I have no hope for Ep III, but I'll see it anyway. I still need to know how he can screw it up more. I think every fan-boy/girl could have written the first two better than he did.

I do admit there are amazing and fun moments in them, but as a whole, even as individual movies, they're crap.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 13th 2004, 8:25 pm

Yeah, I haven't liked the two already-released prequels at all. They just weren't memorable. I can remember lots of stuff that happened in the original trilogy, and the plot lines, characters, etc. But the new movies... :x They're just no good. The only way I will end up seeing the Sith is if a friend drags me to it and pays for my ticket.

However I can't wait to see how the original trilogy looks on dvd! A friend of mine bought it when it came out and he said it is really cool.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 17th 2004, 12:35 am

andrewgd wrote:You walked out of Highlander III, but not Highlander II? Rediculous!

Anyways, I have no hope for Ep III, but I'll see it anyway. I still need to know how he can screw it up more. I think every fan-boy/girl could have written the first two better than he did.

I do admit there are amazing and fun moments in them, but as a whole, even as individual movies, they're crap.
:oops:

When I saw Highlander II I was in the theater thinking, okay it will get better now...oh wait, maybe now...no, how about now.

Another scfi movie franchise bites the dust.

Yes with Lucas more crap, but with wonderful special effects.

:D

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 20th 2005, 6:27 pm

Okay, so I saw it last night. BIG improvement from the first two, but I still don't think it's on the level of the originals (but that could just be me being difficult and missing Harrison and not liking Hayden). But okay, I still have few questions, and some comments:
[spoiler]1. Why do the Jedis disappear when they die in the last three movies, but not in the first three -- does that have something to do with the new power Yoda alludes to in being able to communicate with dead Jedi masters?

2. Lea talks to Luke about how her mother was very beautiful, but very sad -- that always made sense if Lea had grown up with Padme, but why is her adoptive mother sad? I mean, sure, she can be sad too, but why make it part of the plot?

3. How does Lea become "Princess Lea"? Yes, her mother was a queen, but not for that long, and after her term ended they didn't call her queen anymore... Does her adoptive father somehow go from an exiled senator to royalty? Or is it just a title to mark that her mother was a queen? Or is it a title given her fondly by the rebels without real power behind it?

4. Does Lea even grow up knowing those are her adoptive parents, it doesn't seem so -- but then, that again would change the meaning of "Long ago you helped my father in the clone wars...", but now that I think about it, I guess that's right because she didn't know the name Skywalker when she met Luke...

5. Why in Star Wars, does ObiWan say that he does not remember C-3PO and R2D2, even though they’re a huge part of the first 3 movies? They erase C-3PO’s memory, but presumably not Ben’s.

6. Did Lucas have the overall story of all six episodes planned out when he made the first three?

7. What was with the setting of Vador and ObiWan’s last fight? What was all that fire and lava lifting droids supposed to be about? Was there an actual purpose behind any of it, or did they just figure that lava made for a more dramatic climax?

8. ObiWan keeps coming to Padmae’s house looking for Anakin – does he know they’re living together, and if he does, wouldn’t that be problematic? (is Anakin still assigned to protect her?) It just seems weird that everyone seems to think it’s normal she’s pregnant and that Anakin’s always there, but no one puts it together until the end.

9. This isn’t really a question or anything, but considering Chewbaca’s affiliations in episodes 4-6 (smuggling and what not) isn’t it a little strange to see him being a friend of Yoda’s? It’s cool that the wookies are part of the story, and that you get to see their little tree island, but that Yoda specifically says goodbye to Chewbaca? - I felt that was just a cheap thrill for fans rather than cohesive story-telling. But, whatever, I love that big walking carpet.

10. Other throw-backs to the originals: Padmae wearing her hair in side buns – it’s a little less cool for Lea to do it, if now it’s an established look in the galaxy

11. I like that we get to see how the emperor’s face got like that – cool idea of the light sabers being so hot (also, good fight scene between the emperor and Yoda)

12. Watching Anakin become Darth Vador – them clicking the mask on, etc. – was COOL, I’m glad they included that!

13. Sitting here thinking about it, I think I am actually satisfied with this episode. I’m glad they remembered to address things like the little Jedis being killed, Padmae being buried still looking pregnant, and other things of that nature, (and thank goodness that this one didn’t have any silly sequences with clown characters (JarJar etc.) or flying R2D2’s and big stomping/buckety machinery), but I still miss the wit and sarcasm of the originals. I was totally laughing at parts in episode 3 when I wasn’t supposed to – the writing is still weak (especially the love scenes), and Hayden still (in my opinion) can’t act. And I still hate that Padmae calls him "Anie" -- it just doesn't sound right.[/spoiler]

Sorry I wrote so much in the spoiler :oops: But, in a thumbs up/thumbs down kind of situation, I'd give episodes one and two thumbs down, and this one a thumbs up (but whether that's because this one's a whole lot better, or by now my expectations are lower, I'm not sure.)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 23rd 2005, 8:07 pm

Hey all,

Saw it Saturday. Liked but very, very dark and very depressing.

All the more so because we aren't going to see Chapters 7-9 already able written by Zahn.

(Sigh) Still worth seeing.

-LanceMan

golden1
Tino

Post by golden1 » May 24th 2005, 3:14 am

lance wrote:Hey all,

Saw it Saturday. Liked but very, very dark and very depressing.

All the more so because we aren't going to see Chapters 7-9 already able written by Zahn.

(Sigh) Still worth seeing.

-LanceMan
Movie was great. Lucus Should finish off the entire set 1-9...But it seems ep.3 is his last star wars addition. It would be great to see 7-9! In my opinion it would be great and very profitable. But I guess lucus is rich enough being the owner of THX sound... Now all the star wars fans out the (including me) have nothing more to wait for really... :(

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 25th 2005, 11:32 am

I ended up seeing it last wednesday night at midnight - a friend who is a big star wars geek got me a ticket. He also brought his star wars trivial pursuit questions and made me read as many as possible before the movie started (ie. nerd). But I love him anyway, since I am a nerd as well, just maybe not about star wars. Eh. ANYWAY, I thought the movie was certainly a lot better than the previous two prequels. I have no idea what ep 7-9 are about, but yeah my hunch is that Lucas is done making star wars movies.

Josie: your question #7 cracked me up! I have no answers to any of your questions, though. Sorry!

My complaints with ep 3:
[spoiler]Padme wasn't nearly pregnant enough. Now, I'm not a "baby" person, but I've seen enough pregnant women to know that if you are carrying twins, you get A LOT bigger than Padme was. AND the twins were full-term at the end of the movie! I don't know why but that really threw me off as far as the time-line of ep 3 went...

My second problem was that there wasn't enough Ewen Magregor in this movie. Not enough Ewen shirtless either. :wink:

See, I don't geek out on star wars. I'm entertained, but if these are the things that bother me I can't be counted on for a really deep philisophical star wars argument. I like to listen to others though![/spoiler]
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~