Garden State

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

Garden State

Post by guitarchick » Aug 30th 2004, 6:42 pm

I loved this movie! What did those of you who saw it think?

Emilie

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 31st 2004, 10:34 pm

I fell in love with this film! I got to see it when I was in San Francisco at a small independent theater. that definitely helped with the experience, because you knew that the people there really wanted to see it. I loved the quirkiness of all of the characters. and the simplicity of the plot. Zach Braff is so amazingly talented. and I loved Natalie Portman's performance as well. the music was great too. I'm now obsessed with The Shins! ha ha. okay, I'll stop gushing now.... :oops:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 1st 2004, 11:45 am

emmie wrote: I'm now obsessed with The Shins! ha ha. okay, I'll stop gushing now.... :oops:
The Shins are great. If you haven't you need to go see them live. I saw them about a year ago and they put on an absolutely amazing show.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 1st 2004, 12:02 pm

fnordboy wrote:The Shins are great. If you haven't you need to go see them live. I saw them about a year ago and they put on an absolutely amazing show.
I just discovered them a couple of weeks ago. so I plan on doing some research on them on the net. I'm not a big concert goer, but I would definitely go to see The Shins!

sarahr_81
Overlooked Sibling

Post by sarahr_81 » Sep 10th 2004, 6:31 pm

i really wanna see this film, but it isnt playing in my area, i will have to wait for it to come out on dvd.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Sep 26th 2004, 9:12 pm

There isnt to many theaters that have this movie.. I saw it previewed on Ebert and Roper. It looks like its really good. Im gonna probably going to go see it next weekend. Ill tell ya what I thought of it then!

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 27th 2004, 5:39 pm

according to Zach Braff's web-blog, yes I'm obsessed, the DVD will be released on Dec. 28th. and Zach wrote that it should have a ton of special features on it. a DVD made by a DVD junkie, for other DVD junkies. so that's cool!

LittleWildheart
Tino

Post by LittleWildheart » Oct 15th 2004, 3:15 pm

I adored this movie. Emmie, I'm obessessed with Zach's weblog now, too....hehe. I want to see it again but it's already gone from the theatres here. Guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 31st 2005, 5:52 am

I recently bought (and watched) the DVD and I'm amazed by Zach Braff's work. The movie is one of the best I've seen in the past 12 months and considering that this was his debut movie --- it just rocks. It's a hilarious script (funny but still touching), excellent performances by a terrific cast (gosh, Natalie Portman *is* really a great actress, I can't wait to see her in "Closer"). There are some minor issues with the movie though -- abrupt cuts and scene changes, but all in all: it's really beautifully shot.

The whole DVD is IMHO an excellent guide for young filmmakers -- especially the section with the deleted scenes. It's a living example why you sometimes have to cut wonderful scenes from a movie to avoid interrupting the pace of the movie and keep it interesting for the largest audience possible. Zach talks about his problems of "overtelling" the story, how he decided to leave some things unsaid and rely more on subtle hints.

And yes, a cool soundtrack. Coldplay! And I almost freaked out when they played "In the Waiting Line" by "Zero 7" -- I just had bought the album by "Zero 7" a few days earlier and it had become an instant favorite of mine.

It's really amazing that a young filmmaker like Zach Braff gets the opportunity to make such a beautiful movie this early in his life. I'll surely watch his next movie (I hope he makes one)...

Highly recommended!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 31st 2005, 9:27 am

For me this DVD was a blind buy. I usually don't have the time or money to go see movies in the theatre, so I generally have to wait for DVD. I remember seeing commercials for it a while ago and thought, "looks pretty cool" but not much else. (The no-money thing keeps me from getting too enthused about stuff sometimes.) But then over the holidays a friend of mine was freaking out about how good the movie is and that I have to see it, so when I got some xmas money I decided to buy it. I loved it! My boyfriend watched it and he loved it too. I also bought the soundtrack, and I plan on buying the Zero 7 cd also. Anyway, I certainly would recommend this movie to anyone in their 20s wondering "what am I doing with my life?" A great quarter-life crisis story.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 31st 2005, 1:00 pm

Love love love this movie! And the soundtrack hasn't left my CD player. Its one of the best movies I have seen. I can't say enough about it.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 14th 2005, 3:03 pm

Zach Braff won a Grammy for his soundtrack selection! Well deserved!
Grammy Awards 2005 Winners

Category 79

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

* Garden State
Various Artists - Zach Braff, compilation producer
[Epic/Sony Music Soundtrax/Fox Music]
http://www.grammys.org/awards/grammy/47winners.aspx#22

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Feb 14th 2005, 7:30 pm

I saw that earlier today too! Very happy that the Grammy went to such an awesome soundtrack :D

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 14th 2005, 10:17 pm

Definitely the right choice for that grammy!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 15th 2005, 1:34 am

I'm glad that Garden State finally won something! :-P sheesh!