Before Sunset

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Summoned
Tino

Before Sunset

Post by Summoned » Aug 18th 2004, 7:32 am

Was anticipating this film very much once I heard about it, and have finally seen it. Liked it a great deal, and was surprised to hear Julie Delpy sing, and even more surprised to hear that she has actually released some of her music. [spoiler]And no film can go wrong making Nina Simone the sound of impending passion.[/spoiler] Always appreciate films that can use music well, which I think Linklater has done fairly consistently in his work. And was also interested in the Village Voice review of the film, which listed it as one of several recent releases that have, in a more or less good way, sentimentalized that most sentimental of experiences, love. Really thought it was on a par with Lost in Translation.
Daydreaming days in a daydream nation

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 18th 2004, 11:20 am

Yes, it was an incredible film. I was so excited when I first read that it was being made. I had pretty much thought their small scene in Waking Life was the only sequel we would ever get. I never expected to like Sunset more than Sunrise, but the more I think about it, the more that is changing. Of course, they're both extraordinary films. I know Julie has an album, but I have only heard her three songs that appear in the film. I was soo excited to finally get my hands on the soundtrack for Sunrise (it was so satisfying when the combined soundtrack came out! I love "Come Here" and the cover of "This is Life" from the first movies, but really all the music is great.) I saw Julie interviewed on Jimmy Kimmel's show two nights ago, she was beautiful and gracious, of course, and they were joking about what it would be like if every ten years Linklater, Ethan, and she made another Jessie and Celene movie. Although, I'm sure this is not the first interview where this idea was bounced around.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 19th 2004, 9:03 am

I haven't seen this film yet. I've been reading about it a lot lately. For me it seems especially appropriate to read about it here at MSCL.com because back in 95 I taped it (Before Sunrise) on the same VHS tape as the last 3 eps of MSCL so I've always associated the two.
Last edited by grim4746 on Aug 19th 2004, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 19th 2004, 11:31 am

Have you seen Waking Life?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 19th 2004, 9:49 pm

I've seen Waking Life. Unfortunately it's one of those movies I have no recollection of except a vague feeling of fondness. So I know I liked it plus I wathced it twice in the same week and then again with commentary about a year and a half ago. I'm going to have to watch it again. I don't know why I didn't just by the dvd. Everytime I see it for sale it's super cheap.

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Jan 27th 2005, 4:04 am

Before Sunset was a great sequel to Before Sunrise. It just makes you realize that one night can completely change the course of your life forever and the relationships that are affected by that one night.