Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005, Disney)

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005, Disney)

Post by Sascha » Jul 29th 2004, 5:55 pm

Buena Vista is currently shooting the new Hollywood adaptation of Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". You know, "Don't Panic!", Ford Perfect, Babelfish, "42" and all that ;-)

Hopefully Disney won't mess this up, the casting of Mos Def as Ford Perfect seems a bit strange to me. But Zooey Deschanel as Trillian sounds very promising -- I liked her in "Elf".

Anyway, Buena Vista released the first Teaser during last weeks ComicCon - you can download it here. Shiny! :-)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 29th 2004, 6:19 pm

I think the part where the rockets turn in to a whale and the whale contemplates the meaning of his life as he falls to the planets surface has to be one funniest things I have ever read.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 29th 2004, 11:47 pm

:: sigh :: The teaser didn't make me feel good about this. I think it is going to be way too stylish. I am a big fan of the books and the BBC adaptations (radio and TV). I don't think it will get any better than the TV version, that is nearly perfect IMO. It fits the book just as it should.

That said, I think Martin Freeman cast as Arthur Dent is perfect. He is a perfect Arthur Dent IMO. Now, I like Mos Def, but I don't like that he was cast as Ford Prefect, it just reeks of them trying to be PC. I just can't see him doing Ford "correctly"...but I guess I will see. Ah :: swooooon :: :oops: my Zooey Deschanel cast as Trillian is great. She is a good Trillian choice and she is absolutely beautiful. :P Sam Rockwell is a good Zaphod too...I fear how they will do his second head though.

I guess I will just have to wait and see, I will actually go to the theater to see this one though, so that says something.

Oh and the "42" in the stars was cheesy IMO.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 30th 2004, 12:34 am

fnordboy wrote::: swooooon :: :oops: my Zooey Deschanel cast as Trillian is great. She is a good Trillian choice and she is absolutely beautiful. :P
have you seen her in All the Real Girls? that movie really brought her to my attention. she captured such a large range of emotions. plus the writing in that movie is very realistic for a simple love story.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 30th 2004, 12:47 am

emmie wrote:Have you seen her in All the Real Girls? that movie really brought her to my attention. she captured such a large range of emotions. plus the writing in that movie is very realistic for a simple love story.
I have yet to see the whole movie, but I have watched a large portion of it. I will need to tivo it when it is next on. She is stunning in that movie though.

I first noticed her in Mumford, but Almost Famous is what made me look her up online. I was surprised to see she already had a fairly big cult following :shock:. I have yet to see Elf, but I really want too.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 30th 2004, 4:56 am

My initial reaction to this thread was 'noooooooooooooooooo not a disney remake of one of the funniest books I have ever read! noooooooooooo'.

But now I've calmed down a bit and I see some good casting (with the exception of Mos Def. I'm with you Fnord; it reeks of an internal disney-panic over PC).

I love love love Sam Rockwell as Zaphod though, and Martin Freeman will be fab. He can do that 'confused' look like nobody else. Wonder who they'll get to play Slartibartfast... :?:

I watched the teaser and i've got to say I hate the soundtrack. Now it might be that they're spoofing the 'hollywood blockbuster' style (I certainly hope so) but I still hate it.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 30th 2004, 9:46 am

fnordboy wrote:I first noticed her in Mumford, but Almost Famous is what made me look her up online. I was surprised to see she already had a fairly big cult following :shock:. I have yet to see Elf, but I really want too.
She also appears as a geeky band leader/singer in "The New Guy" (with DJ Qualls) - a teenage movie which is so bad that's it's good again. Eliza Dushku has a major role in it. And in case you haven't seen it yet, her 2002 short movie "Sweet Friggin' Daisies" is online (legally) at http://www.hollywooddigitalimaging.com/clips3.html (Warning: 219 MB!! QT)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 30th 2004, 10:00 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:And in case you haven't seen it yet, her 2002 short movie "Sweet Friggin' Daisies" is online (legally) at http://www.hollywooddigitalimaging.com/clips3.html (Warning: 219 MB!! QT)
DLing it now :) I didn't know about this. Thanks.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 3rd 2004, 11:38 pm

Loved the trailer! I'll have to reread the books, it's been ages...

:lol:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

MonicaG
Tino

Post by MonicaG » Aug 23rd 2004, 5:24 pm

I think Martin Freeman is BRILLIANT casting. Absolutely brilliant. I heard it was supposed to be Hugh Grant (whom I do like) but I'm much more excited to see Martin get his big break & I think he'll be just as good.
Claire Fans ~ Keep Voting!

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Feb 16th 2005, 1:09 pm

"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 16th 2005, 2:35 pm

Looks cool. The special effects are promising and the cast seems to work (even Mos Def). I don't think the film can get close to the book in any way, but it's still a must-see. I guess the same goes for Spielberg's upcoming "War of the Worlds".

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 16th 2005, 9:08 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:
Looks cool. The special effects are promising and the cast seems to work (even Mos Def). I don't think the film can get close to the book in any way, but it's still a must-see. I guess the same goes for Spielberg's upcoming "War of the Worlds".
Looks decent, looking forward to seeing it.

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 10th 2005, 4:45 am

I saw this when it first came out, but I'm just catching up...

I thought it was OK. A 7/10 rating would be generous though. The thing that most bugged me was Mos Def. It was like he couldn't articulate his words clearly at all. I don't know if he was trying to be clever or what, but the sound in my cinema isn't soupy - everyone else was crystal clear. I found myself straining to understand Mos Def and missing roughly 1/3 of his dialogue altogether. He also wasn't British enough. I know that probably sounds like an irrelevance, but his casting just didn't fit, for me.

Sam Rockwell was great, but I didn't like how they changed the second head to be underneath. The highlight of the movie for me was Alan Rickman doing Marvin - pure brilliance! The Vogons were well done too.

Unfortunately it wasn't a patch on the BBC TV series.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com