Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Post by jaynedoh » Apr 13th 2004, 2:34 am

I watched Eternal Sunshine recently, and LOVED it! :love
I don't want to go on and on about it, cause I don't want to ruin the movie for others, I was just curious as to what other people thought of the film. Did you like it? Hate it?
I loved Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, their performances were outstanding.
The writing was great, the story was very creative.
Okay, I'll stop. :shock:

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 13th 2004, 4:51 am

Yup. Best movie of the year so far. I hope it gets remembered next Oscar-time.

I can't believe how well the tactic of "speaking in the third person about current events as if they were in the past" works. Made that one scene in the house near the end so touching.

Much sweeter, and heart wrenching and emotional than any sappy chic flick I've seen.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Apr 13th 2004, 4:42 pm

I have`nt seen this movie yet but I`m dying to. It sounds like such a great film. It has all of my fav celebs in it. Elijah Wood, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst and Jim Carrey...I have to see this movie!
There`s Something About My Life....

Emeralduk
Liberty High Student

beautiful

Post by Emeralduk » Nov 27th 2004, 5:39 pm

i love this film, and agree that its one of the year's best, along with shaun of the dead (tehe sooo funny).
eternal sunshine is soo lovely, and filled with emotion.
jim carrey is great and kate winslet is perfectly cast for 'clementine'.
i love that the story blends fiction and reality. its kinda head-trippy, like Vanilla Sky, which i also liked. I love anything to do with dreams and the mind. everyone get it on dvd! u wont be disappointed! its something new and unusual..

*~Emerald~*
"Hello, you've reached the winter of our discontent."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 6th 2004, 5:48 pm

What a great movie! I bought the DVD recently and I was amazed by Jim Carrey's performance. It's so totally different from his usual roles - the same goes for Kate Winslet. Charlie Kaufman is a really good writer --- I would love to see Claire Danes in one of his next movies.

Also, the special effects are really cool -- no blue screen tricks, but "good old" camera tricks like "forced perspective" and stuff.

Oh, and is there a movie starring Kirsten Dunst where she doesn't jump around in her underwear? ;-)

Anyway, yet another fine "Focus Productions" release after "Lost in Translation". They really pick the right scripts. Highly recommended.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 6th 2004, 6:08 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:Oh, and is there a movie starring Kirsten Dunst where she doesn't jump around in her underwear? ;-)
Ummm.... Interview with the Vampire? :P I really don't know!

Yes, I really loved Eternal Sunshine too. It was fantastically done. Maybe if I get some money for my birthday I will get this movie on DVD.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 6th 2004, 7:10 pm

also, the director of photography on the film is Ellen Kuras. she is only one of 5 female photographers in the cinematographers guild in Hollywood. and since that is what I want to be when I grow up :wink: , I think that is supercool! girl power! ha ha

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 30th 2005, 11:55 pm

Just recently bought the soundtrack- I love it! Esp. the Indian song that is playing in Clementine's apartment when they 1st [spoiler](Or should I say second? :P )[/spoiler] meet. It's like a five minute song... truly unique (If you like that kind of stuff)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 6th 2005, 4:55 am

I just saw the movie a few weeks ago and after all my friends and all the pundits hyped it to death, how could it possibly live up to my expectations and be anything more than a letdown? But know what? It wasn't. I'll echo everyone when I say "I loved it!!!!!1!1!1" So I just got the super-duper-more-special-than-the-first-special-edition special edition.

And for the first time -- maybe ever -- I actually wasn't confused by a confusing movie. I understood everything. k, maybe one bit had me scratching my head, but it wasnt important. I could piece it together in the way it was meant to be, and I was impressed.

Unfortunately, just like there is an equal and opposite reaction for every action, there is a bad Jim Carrey movie for every good Jim Carrey movie. So I apprehensively await it.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2005, 1:54 am

I finally saw this movie last month and really liked it. I have been a fan of Jim Carrey since In Living Color, but I have tired of his over the top hamming-as-acting lately. I remember seeing him in a tv movie called Doing Time on Maple Drive years ago, and it cemented my belief that he was more than capable of being a serious actor, but nothing I have seen since then was anywhere near that until Eternal Sunshine.

I have read some interesting and conflicting reviews about what people thought the movie meant. The Happy Camp interprets the movie as a triumph of love - if you're meant to be together, you will be together no matter what. The Cynical Camp sees the movie as proof that people will make the same mistakes over and over. As much as I'd like to be in the Happy Camp, I'm afraid that I'm over in the Cynical Camp, mostly because I have seen people choose the wrong partners and relationships - it's a pattern of behavior that they refuse to break (although they are more than willing to complain about how their new boyfriend/girlfriend is such a jerk/bitch/meanie/spineless sap).

According to imdb (and I take everything I read there with a grain of salt), the original script showed Clementine having the procedure repeatedly and always because of Joel. I wonder if they cut that to make the movie more upbeat or to let the audience come to the same conclusion on their own.

The filmmakers also created a website for the doctor's company: http://www.lacunainc.com
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 8th 2005, 12:59 pm

I think I'm a happy camper. :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Feb 8th 2005, 1:30 pm

I loved Doing Time on Maple Drive, it was very well done and perfectly over the top in true TV movie form.
I just watched Eternal Sunshine... recently and I'd say that I'm in the happy camp, mostly. While I think it shows that people make the same mistakes over and over again at least these characters had a great excuse for it, and love did seem to triumph, in a way.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 8th 2005, 2:08 pm

I agree with grim. yes, they do have the procedure done, but that's only because they can't stand the pain of their lost loved one. it doesn't mean that they weren't meant to be together or that they don't love each other. in fact, they keep finding each other, so something powerful must be between them.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2005, 3:30 am

I'm a big fan of "love conquers all" (I'm a romantic at heart, I swear!), but the fact that two people are drawn together and even love each other does not mean that they should necessarily be together. I still love some of my ex-boyfriends, but we broke up for good reasons which is why we stay broken up. There is a balance between throwing in the towel and knowing when to work at a particular relationship.

In the case of Joel and Clementine, they each seemed to be searching for a mate who would fix what was wrong with them, which I really dislike. In addition, their lack of communication, lack of trust, and destructive behavior did not make for a healthy relationship. Once they got past the honeymoon stage, these problems became more apparent.

Some of the things they say are very telling:
Joel: [narration as Clementine acknowledges him by raising her coffee mug] Why do I fall in love with every woman I see that shows me the least bit of attention?
Clementine: Joel, I'm not a concept. Too many guys think I'm a concept or I complete them or I'm going to make them alive, but I'm just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.
Joel: I don't see anything I don't like about you.

Clementine: But you will! But you will, and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped, because that's what happens with me.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 9th 2005, 9:47 am

I think that it worked better for the movie that they didn't keep erasing their memories of each other. Or at least that they didn't show it in the movie. I thought it was open-ended, because then the audience can decide whether the message is optimistic or pessimistic. I just thought the way it ended seemed optimistic.

candygirl, always playing devil's advocate! :twisted:

~~Kristin~~