Love Actually....

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Nik
Liberty High Student

Love Actually....

Post by Nik » Nov 15th 2003, 11:18 am

In previews this movie seems pretty mild--however romantic and funny. Considering it's line of decendents (Four Weddings and a Funeral and Bridget Jone's Diary--two movies of which I love), I had to go and see it. It was very sweet. I didn't get into it as much as I would have liked, but overall felt it was very good. I laughed out loud, cried silently (really not a difficult thing to get me to do, however), and left with a smile. The main complaint I would have about this movie is that it covers several different stories of love, so it was a little difficult feeling completely drawn into any particular one. I would definately call it a chick flick--so any of you gals that like this style of movie--as well as Conlin Firth, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson and Laura Linny, It's worth it.
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 17th 2003, 10:24 am

i didn't know Colin Firth was in this movie. I want to see it, however, my husband informed me that we need to see Matrix Revolutions (or is it Reloaded, I always get them mixed up - whichever one is currently playing) before we see this in the theatre. :roll:

Maybe I can catch a matinee this weekend. I am a big Colin Firth fan.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Nov 17th 2003, 2:43 pm

I am a big Colin Firth fan
Me too! :D

I can't wait for the second Bridget Jone's Diary to come to Theatres. Both of his Darcy roles (in B.J.'s Diary and Pride and Prejudice) are the best. Colin Firth is Darcy :!:
Nik

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Nov 17th 2003, 9:32 pm

saw the movie... completely loved it except for that girl who looks like she is 12... that did not make scence but it is really such a great movie... made my heart feel better... :D
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Nov 18th 2003, 12:46 am

The movie looks like a lot of fun. I'm going to see it this week (probably thursday). I love Emma Thompson, possibly my favorite movie of hers is "peter's friends". I can't wait to see "Love Actually", I like that it covers several different love stories and from what I've read, different types of love stories. Generally movies don't get me to cry but Emma has this ability to move me and I've read that this time she gives an emotion inducing performance, so I expect I may well up a bit.

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Nov 18th 2003, 12:27 pm

Generally movies don't get me to cry but Emma has this ability to move me
She's wonderful--and I think she might make you cry :D
Nik

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 18th 2003, 10:28 pm

I LOVE Collin Firth too! (Although I'm not sure about his short story...) Anyway, I was disapointed in the film, it was just kind of silly and didn't really develop all the characters that well. I liked the scenes with Liam and the little boy, and Firth and the girl, however, I felt the movie in general was missing something. It was definitely enjoyable, a LOT of great people, I just didn't think it was anything special.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 1st 2003, 7:54 am

I went to see this at the weekend. I have mixed feelings about it. I mean, it was a total no-brainer but it wasn't like it was trying to be anything else... it sort of revelled in its own superficiality. I liked it and it made me feel good, but there were too many characters and you couldn't really get into understanding them at all.

There were some cracking lines though, and it's definitely worth seeing, for a bit of christmas cheer.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 18th 2004, 10:56 pm

I rented it on DVD and loved it! I didn't have any "chick flick" problems with it; there was plenty of swearing, nudity, and cheap sexual innuendo. :-P

I'm also a sucker for these huge, interconnected plot lines (as long as they're well done, which this was). The casting was amazing, the music, both pop and original score, was fine, pacing was good, everything was good!

On a DVD note, I didn't have time to watch the commentary, but I did check out the director's review of the soundtrack and deleted scenes. I understand why he had to pare down the running time, but most of those scenes were so charming I wouldn't mind a director's cut, even if it ran three and half hours.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2007, 9:25 pm

I saw this on DVD over the holidays. I've heard a lot of teenage females (whose taste I trust) rave about it, so I thought it would be a good way to spend a few hours. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Maybe I was expecting something really stupendous based on the cast and all the positive things I'd heard about it, but it was just okay for me. Emma Thompson was the best part of the movie. Her performance was just heartbreaking. It was nice to show that kind of crisis of love in contrast with the other relationships that were in the beginning stages. I wouldn't run out to buy a copy for myself, but I might watch it again if it was free and I was in the right mood.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 14th 2007, 11:25 pm

My mom, who really doesn't enjoy movies, and the only things she watches more than once are episodes of Are you Being Served, As Time Goes By, or Northern Exposure, recently saw this movie again after not especially loving it when we saw it in the theaters. Now she loves it, and has seen it at least three more times. If my mom likes it, I might have to give it another look. :D
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 15th 2007, 1:08 am

So maybe if I watch it a few more times, it will grow on me?

:lol:

It's happened before - I liked Amelie the first time I saw it, but after the second time, I loooooooved it. Now it's one of my favorite movies.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?