Lost In Translation

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Lost In Translation

Post by dTheater » Sep 29th 2003, 10:28 pm

People: SEE...THIS...MOVIE! Everything you've heard about is true. Saw it 2-3 weeks ago and it was excellent. Bill Murray is great. Scarlet Johansson is great. It's funny. It's real. The scenery is beautiful. Definitely a future DVD purchase. Can't recommend it enough.

And with Ghost World being one of my favorite movies ever and now with this under her belt, Scarlet Johansson is making a default bid for one of my favorite actresses.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Sep 29th 2003, 10:40 pm

The whole movie I just wanted to cuddle up next to her in her bed and tell her things would be ok. :D

And I LOVE how they did Murray's last line. [spoiler]Any other way would have ruined the movie for someone. I'm glad they didn't. In my mind, what(ever) he said was perfect[/spoiler]

You would think the age difference would kill the movie. But Murray and Johansson pulled it off amazingly.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Sep 30th 2003, 10:06 am

I saw it this weekend because I am a big Sophia Coppola fan. My fave movie of all time is THE VIRGIN SUICIDES. I was excited to see Bill Murray in the movie. He was funny. I also liked the setting. Sophia always manages to capture the feel of a place. She also manages to capture the loneliness of being an American abroad. Overall, I still prefer THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, but there are still great moments in LOST IN TRANSLATION. Go see it this weekend. You might even be able to drag your boyfriend if you tell him Bill's in it.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 30th 2003, 10:27 am

This is one of th efew movies that I might actually go see in the theater. I am a big Scarlett Johanssen fan and Bill Murray is always good. I also like the idea and the setting of the story. The only reservation I have is that it is a Sofia Coppola movie. Granted I have not seen Virgin Suicides, mainly because I read the book many many years ago and loved it and from what I have seen of the movie (and the people in it) it would tarnish my view of the story. The one work by Sofia Coppola that I have seen is Lick the Star, which I can not recommend to anyone. It was the biggest piece of crap I have seen since the Doom Generation.

I still am drawn to this movie, and now with such strong recommendations here than I most likely will be venturing into hell..err..I mean the movie theater. ;)

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

lost in translation

Post by jaynedoh » Oct 5th 2003, 11:53 pm

i absolutely adored this film! i can't wait for it to come out on dvd, so i can watch it obsessively. it's sweet, touching, tender, sad... sigh... i think i need to go see it again.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 9th 2003, 10:51 pm

andrewgd wrote:And I LOVE how they did Murray's last line. [spoiler]Any other way would have ruined the movie for someone. I'm glad they didn't. In my mind, what(ever) he said was perfect[/spoiler]

You would think the age difference would kill the movie. But Murray and Johansson pulled it off amazingly.
I agree completely. I kept saying that to everyone I know who saw it: the ending was so perfectly done.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Oct 16th 2003, 1:40 pm

Just saw this movie last night.

It left me feeling lost, sad, wonderful and touched!!

I loved it! :cry: Any movie that I leave feeling so much, stays with me for a long time. I agree about his last line. Perfect!!

Beautiful movie!! Highly recommended!
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 16th 2003, 1:56 pm

I haven't seen this movie yet, but the comments about the last line reminded me of the end of From Dusk Till Dawn [spoiler]when George Clooney tells Juliette Lewis, "I might be a bastard, but I'm not a f***ing bastard."[/spoiler] BTW, I didn't think that was the perfect ending line!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 16th 2003, 2:05 pm

candygirl wrote:I haven't seen this movie yet
Seriously, see the movie. :P
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Nov 14th 2003, 10:15 pm

sorry im a bit late on this thread. anyway, a fantastic film... if you havent seen it yet, GO, right now!
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jan 12th 2004, 5:40 am

I'm ultra late on this thread but the film just got released in the UK amid tons of hype in newspapers around Scarlett...
I saw it in my local cinema which usually is about a third full; for this film there wasn't a spare seat in the house.

I thought the film was absolutely fantastic. It hit just the right balance. At the start of the two characters meeting, I thought it would be really a disappointing ending if they hit it off and ended up in bed. Bill just isn't that attractive. But by the end of the film, I could totally see it working between them.

And I agree; the ending was perfection. It couldn't have been any better.

The film made me think, made me sad, happy, uplifted and pensive all at the same time. It's a long time since I've seen a film that good.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 28th 2004, 7:36 pm

i feel embarassed to post this, but what the heck.

i know i'm one of the very very few people on this planet who hated this movie and who thought it was boring. maybe i was tired. maybe i just didn't get it. but yeah, i walked out half way cause it was too torturous.

but everyone and their dog seems to love it, so perhaps i'll have to revisit it as a rental.
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jan 28th 2004, 10:42 pm

I took someone to see it, and she was completely confused. There are plot movies, and there are mood movies. This was definitely a mood movie. So I guess all the people who need a good strong plot will miss the point. There was an emotional journey for these characters, not a physical one.

Its the difference between Disney and Miyazaki. Disney is action ACTION ACTION, while Miyazaki takes the time to set the mood. Bring you INTO the story, instead of the story being thrust upon you. Lost in Translation is much the same.

I'd almost say that its the difference between American and foreign films (and audiences) as well. The whole "American's make/like stupid movies." But that assertion is just the naive stereotype of films (and Americans).

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 29th 2004, 3:16 pm

well it's nice to know i wasn't the only one out there who didn't like the film at first glance. i also found a review in Canada's Globe and Mail that knocked it and like me, was questioning why everyone else was loving it.

having said that though, i am a foreign movie type person, and would like to think i enjoy "mood" movies. i'm gonna chalk this experience up to the fact that i was tired and that i'm not exactly a bill murray fan, having been subjected to a viewing of Scrooged at this xmas party i was forced to attend. oy!!

i'll have to rent LIT when it comes out on video...
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 10th 2004, 7:12 pm

I can't really say that LIT stunned me the first time I watched it. The movie is more of a mood and scenery film. There isn't much of a plot or character development outside of the leads. And it is very slowly paced. However, I think it does capture the some of the essence of a meeting between a man and a woman that can lead somewhere. Such a meeting is often whimsical and fanciful. The barest touch takes on huge amounts of meaning. The soundtrack and Bill Murray are great. I could eat Scarlet Johansen with a spoon. She's so wonderful looking and sounding. I think her character is a tad underdeveloped though. All in all, I think it's a good film. I have a feeling it will get better with subsequent viewings. Of course, the DVD could have many more features. A subtle film like this one demands a director's commentary.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/