Valley Girl on DVD

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Valley Girl on DVD

Post by JPP13 » Aug 24th 2003, 6:12 pm

First, a confession. I'm a complete freak for this film. I've probably seen it 20 times since that first back in 83. It really affected the way I listen to music, and think about things. it was just the right movie at the right time for me. I've met a few people who felt like I did. And many more who thoguht I was insane. :) I was even fortunate enough to exchange some emails with star Deborah Foreman, which I will never forget. The definitive, for me, romantic comedy, as well as a classic rememberance of who I was in 1983.

I was also one of the signers on the petition to get Valley Girl on DVD. (sound familar?). Well, on 8/12, it was released.

What a gem. The bonus features exceeded anything I could have hoped for. A trivia track. An audio track with the director Martha Coolidge. A sit down interview with the stars, and even with the bands! Plus 2 original music videos. I'm hyper-ventilating at the thought. :)

The quality is wonderful - nice and crisp for a 20 year old fim. But who cares, its all here.

If you liked this movie before, get it. I you haven't seen it - get it! If you don't like it - Bah Humbug. :)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

valley girl

Post by lance » Aug 26th 2003, 11:53 am

JPP13,

Cool news. I saw the movie for the first time on cable. I remember only two things: one that I like Nicholas Cage's character and I that I was sick with the flu at the time. The flu may have tempered my enthusiam for the film.

I will have to go watch it again, sans flu.

Thanks for the post.

Lance Man

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Aug 26th 2003, 4:24 pm

lance, you should definitely see it again.

VG also has, for my money, the best film soundtrack EVER!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 27th 2003, 10:22 am

JPP13 wrote:lance, you should definitely see it again.

VG also has, for my money, the best film soundtrack EVER!
I do love that "I'll stop the world and melt with you." song. Might not have gotten that title right. JPP13, which group did that one?

LanceMan

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 27th 2003, 10:46 am

Valley Girl
Original Soundtrack

1. A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls
2. Johnny, Are You Queer? - Josie Cotton
3. Eyes Of A Stranger - Payola$
4. Angst In My Pants - Sparks
5. Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work
6. Everywhere At Once - The Plimsouls
7. I La La La Love You - Pat Travers + Black Pearl
8. He Could Be The One - Josie Cotton
9. Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs
10. Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime) - The Flirts
11. The Fanatic - Felony
12. She Talks In Stereo - Gary Myrick + The Figures
13. Oldest Story In The World - The Plimsouls
14. School Is In - Josie Cotton
15. I Melt With You - Modern English
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

stuff

Post by lance » Aug 27th 2003, 10:48 am

Nothingman to the rescue!

:D

Thanks,

LanceMan

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 27th 2003, 11:35 am

Just happy to help. :go:
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Aug 27th 2003, 9:49 pm

Aaaahhhh, the Soundtrack. The Holy Grail of vinyl soundtracks.

The short version is this. Back in 1982, amongst the other songs, a few more were to be in the film. Including Do You Really Wanna Hurt me by the Culture Club. As the film was to be released, the Culture Club tune was soaring up the charts and becoming a huge hit. The label wanted to renegotiate with the film producers. Well, there was a tight budget (the film was an indie), so they said no. At the LAST moment all of the songs by Culture Club's label were pulled. That is why at the end credits for the original film, it lists songs which did not appear in the film!

The soundtracks were pulled from distributors and destroyed. A very limited edition of EPs were relaeased later in the year, with 6 songs only. It took me years but I did get my hands on one. :) (beware of fake bootlegs).

The music in the film, while feeling dated now, was extremely cutting edge for the time. And the intertwine of the Plimsouls playing during the key scenes was matched only by the Buffalo Tom performance in MSCL. It added to the film, rather than being an MTV montage.