Adaptation

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Adaptation

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 27th 2003, 3:08 pm

Adaptation is the third DVD I purchased recently. I'm as on the fence about this one as I am the other two, The Hours and Punch-Drunk Love. Has anyone seen Adaptation? If so, what do you think about it?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 28th 2003, 3:14 am

I picked this up on release day. Side question: Did you get the insert with the DVD? Some people got them some didn't. Just Curious.

Anyway, I didn't really care for the movie too much. It was ok. I wasn't expecting much since I really didn't like Being John Malkovich too much but I felt this movie was just pointless. There really was no real point to it IMO.

There were some interesting parts, but nothing I was crazy about. Don't know if I will rewatch this or not.

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Jun 28th 2003, 8:13 am

I loved it. Well, I loved it the second time I saw it. The first time I felt a little let down - and confused. Though I'm sure that pretty much how you're supposed to feel. I'm not much of a fan of Nic Cage, but I liked him a lot in this. And I could watch Meryl Streep brush her teeth, she's so charismatic. She's the only thing I actaully liked about The Hours. (besides Claire, of corse!)

Meg
------------------------
"Every home should have a daughter.
For there's nothing like a girl
To keep the world around her
In one continuous whirl.."
--Helen Steiner Rice

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jun 29th 2003, 5:17 pm

I really enjoyed it. I swore that in the end it would turn out that the twins were actually the same person. (In real life, I suppose they were)

What's especially fun is that the writer, Gondry (?), actually was hired to write a screen version of Lily Hunter, or whatever it was. And this was what he ended up writing instead.

Has anyone seen Human Nature? Its one of the first movies Gondry did, and is just as wierd and good as Being John Malkovich and Adaptation.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jun 30th 2003, 10:23 pm

Gondry? :) You mean Charlie Kaufman?

Anyway, loved Adaptation. One of the best movies if the year. Bought the DVD right away. But of course I'm biased as I loved Being John Malkovich.

Anyway, I could see not liking Adaptation or not "getting" it, but wasn't it at least funny? The acting was great, even if Nicholas cage hasn't made a good movie in, like a decade.

I was only disappointed in the ending...[spoiler]I guess it made sense that once Nicholas Cage asked his twin brother to help him write his script that the actual movie started getting cliched, so I guess it was supposed to, but it was still too silly.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jun 30th 2003, 10:58 pm

dTheater wrote:Gondry? :) You mean Charlie Kaufman?
I got them mixed up. Michael Gondry, who started in music videos, directed Human Nature, which was written by Charlie Kaufman. Kaufman wrote Being John Malkovich and Adaptation, both were directed by Spike Jonze, who started in music videos, and thus the confusion.

Gondry and Jonze have to be some of the most creative music video directors out there. And when you pair them with one of the most creative writers....the movies got to be good. :)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 1st 2003, 10:55 pm

Gondry and Kaufman are teaming up for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, a low-budget film starring Jim Carrey and a great supporting cast about a couple who has their memories erased to save their relationship. It sounds very interesting
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Adaptation

Post by jaynedoh » Jul 6th 2003, 11:16 pm

I loved this movie, even though I am not a Nicolas Cage fan. I thought he did a great job! I agree with dTheatre, though, the ending was rather lame. Chris Cooper- amazing!!