100 Heroes & Villains

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

100 Heroes & Villains

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 7th 2003, 10:54 pm

The American Film Institute recently released their picks for the 50 bestest heroes and 50 narstiest villains of American movie history. The list can be found in PDF here:

http://www.afi.com/tv/handv.pdf

The list is intended more as a spark for renewed interest in classic films than as the definitive roll call of good and bad guys, as no two fans will ever agree on their personal favorites. Nevertheless, it serves as a good starting point for conversation, so I thought I'd solicit your comments. Do you agree with it? Is it backwards? Who got left out? Who would win in a fight? They put Rocky over Han Solo?!

:o

:wink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 8th 2003, 1:33 pm

What no Khan!

"He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flame before I give him up!" (Khan, Star Trek II)

Best,

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 9th 2003, 11:42 pm

Yeah, and no General Chang! He had an eye-patch and everything!

For that matter, no Captain Kirk, either...

KHAAAAAN!!!

:lol:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 10th 2003, 1:09 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Yeah, and no General Chang! He had an eye-patch and everything!

For that matter, no Captain Kirk, either...

KHAAAAAN!!!

:lol:
LOL!

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 11th 2003, 11:30 pm

I watched that special and, for the most part, I was quickly reminded of the annoying list issues Entertainment Weekly would send me. Top 100 thiss, top 50 that. My list would never come close, and while it was fun reading, it was... eh.

This list was the same. I can accept some of them, but Lechter as the top villian? Are you serious? A hundred+ years of film and he's the top?

I'm sure the quick response would be "Well Gary, who would YOU put at the top?" And the answer would be "There wouldn't be a top."

I'd have the same list the AFI had, only without the numbers. Done. Problem solved.

It's not my ideal list, but without the ranking, it's a fun romp through film history.

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 12th 2003, 9:14 am

GaryEA wrote:I watched that special and, for the most part, I was quickly reminded of the annoying list issues Entertainment Weekly would send me. Top 100 thiss, top 50 that. My list would never come close, and while it was fun reading, it was... eh.

This list was the same. I can accept some of them, but Lechter as the top villian? Are you serious? A hundred+ years of film and he's the top?

I'm sure the quick response would be "Well Gary, who would YOU put at the top?" And the answer would be "There wouldn't be a top."

I'd have the same list the AFI had, only without the numbers. Done. Problem solved.

It's not my ideal list, but without the ranking, it's a fun romp through film history.

Gary
Come on Gary,

At least give us, oh say twenty top villians or twenty top heros in no particular order.

I agree with you TV Guide and People are constantly barraging us with "top lists". Very annoying.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 12th 2003, 2:12 pm

Hey don't leave VH-1 off the list of people who bring us lists!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Jun 12th 2003, 3:03 pm

Come on Gary,

At least give us, oh say twenty top villians or twenty top heros in no particular order.

Are you challenging me lance? You throw down the gauntlet and whip ut a list in a few days...

:D

Gary

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 12th 2003, 3:06 pm

^^^^^^^^
that was me.

oops. 8)

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 13th 2003, 10:50 am

GaryEA wrote:^^^^^^^^
that was me.

oops. 8)

Gary
LOL!

Okay, I will work on a list.

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 13th 2003, 12:49 pm

Tell you what - since I can't type, and I had meant to say that if you throw down, I would whip up a list, I'm going to do one as well and then we'll compare them.

Sound good? :D

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 13th 2003, 1:21 pm

GaryEA wrote:Tell you what - since I can't type, and I had meant to say that if you throw down, I would whip it out, and then we'll compare them.

Gary
:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :roll:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 13th 2003, 1:43 pm

fnordboy wrote:
GaryEA wrote:I would whip it out, and then we'll compare them.
I did NOT type that!

Sick-o. :evil:

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 14th 2003, 10:07 am

fnordboy wrote:
GaryEA wrote:Tell you what - since I can't type, and I had meant to say that if you throw down, I would whip it out, and then we'll compare them.

Gary
:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :roll:
:rofl:

"I see your schwartz is big as mine!"
-Dark Helmet, Space Balls

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

lance list

Post by lance » Jun 14th 2003, 11:13 am

Okay GaryEA & co,

Here is my list of top tv/film heros and villians in no particular order:

First the heros

Det. Frank Pembleton From Homicide Life on the Street (played by Andre Braugher)- A black detective uses the art of psychological interrogation to nab the bad guys. Some of those interrogations in "the box" were some of the best moments in television.

Colonel Robert Gould Shaw from the movie Glory (played by Matthew Broderick) Led his union troops of the African-American Massachusetts 54th in a suicidal assault on a Confederate fort in South Carolina. Was not a dry eye in the movie theater when the 54th marched passed white Union troops on their way to charge Ft. Wagner. A white union solider yells, "Give 'em hell 54th!"

Ellen Ripley from Alien, Aliens (played by Sigourney Weaver) who blasts away some extremely creepy Aliens.

Resistance Fighter (sorry can't find his name) from V: the Final Battle (played by Michael Ironside) Kills a whole lot of alien bad guys.

Colonel Rolf Emerson from Robotech: Southern Cross
Charged with fighting a war he did not want, still trying to find a peaceful way to save Earth. Many Robotech fans do not like Second Generation, Col Emerson is a big part of why I do.

Ambassador G'Kar from Babylon 5 (played by Andreas Katsulas) A strong character with depth, eloquence and passion, my favorite character from B5. If you haven't watched B5, please do so and find out what you have been missing.

Back with more heros...

Best,

Lance Man