secretary

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » May 28th 2003, 5:42 pm

fnordboy wrote: The end sequence to me (at the desk) is the weakest part of the movie, dream or real [though i still stand by it is supposed to be real]. After that it is ok, I am glad it has a happy ending.
I'd actually like to see what they're "normal" life is like. I know it wouldn't really fit with the vein of this movie, but it would be interesting to see all the dom/sub stuff that goes on in their normal routine. They touched on it a little bit, but it definitely left me wanting to see more of the "normal" stuff.

How do they do the dishes? Whats watching TV like around there? Do they ever come out of their roles? Or is it truly 24/7 like she "proved" she could do? What happens then? I wanna know!
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 28th 2003, 5:50 pm

andrewgd wrote:I'd actually like to see what they're "normal" life is like. I know it wouldn't really fit with the vein of this movie, but it would be interesting to see all the dom/sub stuff that goes on in their normal routine. They touched on it a little bit, but it definitely left me wanting to see more of the "normal" stuff.

How do they do the dishes? Whats watching TV like around there? Do they ever come out of their roles? Or is it truly 24/7 like she "proved" she could do? What happens then? I wanna know!
Agreed completely. That is what I was thinking the movie would be like before I saw it. Especially with the clip in the commercial of the peas and mashed potatoes thing. That to me is a whole lot more interesting then the bad secretary/boss "roleplaying ;)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 28th 2003, 10:19 pm

We get a taste of what their normal life is like at the end of the movie. They make the bed together, etc. She does something "bad," which probably is a way to cause some discipline from Mr. Grey. The one thing that kind of bothers me is that she apparently becomes a stay-at-home wife at the end of the movie. There's nothing wrong with her staying at home, but I wonder if he had to hire another secretary. Of course, he's probably satisfied by being with her, but what does Lee do all day?

Anyway, I think fnordboy sees a closer relationship to Lee's cutting herself and their S&M relationship than I do. I don't see those things as being connected. Yes, she's a flawed person. But she becomes a stronger person. And I agree that she could stop cutting herself at anytime. Mr. Grey tells her to stop cutting herself, but he can't make her stop. He points out the fact that she can choose to stop. He empowers her. She also empowers him.

I like this movie a great deal. I would like to know more about them and their lives, too. However, there's only so many things you can cram into 111 minutes.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/