Star Wars Original Trilogy Petition

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 2:18 am

Hey, I read your whole rant Gary - where did it go?

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » May 20th 2003, 5:46 am

Nor does it change my DVDs that I own of them that I can watch any time I want.

See this is the real problem, I can't watch the OT on DVD. I could forgive Lucas for all his trangressions, if he would just realease both versions of Star Wars, the OT and the SE. Then I would have no problem. I would still think he is stupid, but I would be happy. And yes he is a good business but he is making a bad decision by not releasing both. He stands to make a ton of money because a lot of people will buy both versions. Plus he is also trying to rewrite history. Everyone knows that VHS tapes fall apart and degrade. So in the future when I show my future children Star Wars, they will only be able to see the special edition. That is all they will know. Sure I can tell them what it was like, but it will not be the same. And in my humble opinion the SE's are inferior films and are not what we all saw. They were not the films that were originally released. I mean get over yourself Lucas, so you can't always get what you want, they are still great movies that changed the world. Get over it an move on. Come on Lucas just realease the fricken DVD versions we all really want.

I am also proud to say I do not own Ep01 or Ep02 on DVD and I never will. As far as I am concerned there are only three Star Wars movies.
Last edited by heater_05 on May 20th 2003, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing it's another, but it's always something!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

lucas

Post by lance » May 20th 2003, 9:36 am

heater_05,

With you on this one, I don't own episode I or II and not planning on buying them.

Saving the cash for other DVDs.

If Lucas ever releases the original trilogy on DVD, that I would buy.

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » May 20th 2003, 12:08 pm

LOL! I didn't think anyone saw it. Made an editorial decision and replaced it with rolling eyes... ;)
See this is the real problem, I can't watch the OT on DVD.
And that's the rub.

If he wants to keep reworking his films so that they're all one happy saga, go ahead. If he wants to insert characters from THX-1138 into the film, fine, but how about releasing the originals so that those of us who just want Star Wars, can get Star Wars and not the "Super-Duper, I'm Finished For Now, The Ranch Worked Overtime On this One" edition?

Here are two other examples: Star Trek II and Superman: The Movie...

Star Trek II
Released to DVD: Yes
Number of releases: 2
Expected rerelease? None

Star Trek II was originally released on DVD years ago by Paramount in it's original theatrical form. A couple of years later, they decided to juice up the "Special Edition" by having the director insert scenes that were originally removed for whatever reason (pacing, continuity flaws).

The new cut was of interest because, over the years, television networks had been showing different cuts of the film; ABC had their extended version, and I believe a network in Europe had a longer one. Basically, it was a novelty, and of mild interest.

The point I am making is that the original HAD been released and can be seen.

Superman: The Movie
Released to DVD: Yes
Number of releases: 1
Expected rerelease? None

Warner Brothers, also interested in juicing up what they thought was an "older" movie, asked director Richard Donner to reinsert scenes that many people had seen on television. Problem was that there was an issue with the sound, most notably the sound effects. So, they went back and redid them.

Now I've seen this film a hundreds of times (and I still have time for a life! :D), and while it looks stunning visually after the restoration, the new sounds are... lacking. There's something about them that makes them more of a distraction than part of the movie, but the real killer is the new sound mix, supervised by Donner.

Donner, for example, had a thunderous metal "CLANG!" over the score when his name came up in the credits (an FU to WB, methinks), and later on, when Superman goes beserk over the death of who-know-who, he dumps a thunderclap OVER Reeve's screams. It was the other way around before and it hurts the scene.

The Superman: The Movie that I knew has never been released on DVD, nor do I think it will be. They skipped the basic release and went straight for the more marketable "Specal Edition".

So if you like Star Trek II, you're golden (and yes, I wish they had released the first Star Trek untouched too). The best of both worlds are available to you. Superman? Nope.

And no one seems to care. Why? Because they got their candy.

Star Wars goes waaaaay beyond this. It's never finished beceause the director, as much as I appreciate his zeal is trying to create an epic mythology, doesn't know when to quit (well, except the part where we were supposed to have nine movies instead of six, but I digress). The IMDb listing twenty years from now is going to read:

Star Wars (1977, 1997, 2005, 2007, 2012...)

Doesn't that seem a little pathetic? The IMDb will probably list the last release date, but it's a real concept. What if you were a film history teacher? What year did Star Wars come out? '77? '97? Yesterday?

It's not meant to be a melodramatic "pathetic", but a real pity towards the mass opinion that as long as they get their candy, people think that film revisionist history is okay.

[/rant]

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 1:16 pm

GaryEA wrote:
LOL! I didn't think anyone saw it. Made an editorial decision and replaced it with rolling eyes... ;)
BUSTED!

:lol:
as long as they get their candy
Moi?

:wink:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » May 20th 2003, 5:31 pm

BUSTED!
DAMN!

:lol:
as long as they get their candy
Moi?
Oh right. Play innocent with me. Especially with THAT avatar?

(hehe)

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2003, 10:30 pm

candygirl wrote:I still haven't watched Ep 2 yet, but in the meantime here is a little something for you to watch:

Star Wars Kid

:D
Apparently some kid used a video camera at his school to record his Star Wars fighting skills, then failed to remove the cassette. It didn't take long for the online community to remix it with full Star Wars special effects and lightsaber noises.
An article about the kid in question.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 21st 2003, 11:45 pm

I think a great solution would be for Lucas to release the first three SW movies in double disc form -- an original print and Special Edition for each movie. If Speilberg can issue a double disc for ET, Lucas can do the same for SW. Maybe since Steve and George are buds, Steve can convince him to do the right thing. BTW, has anyone bought the ET double DVD yet?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 22nd 2003, 12:09 am

candygirl wrote: An article about the kid in question.
Goddamn! Over 4000 bucks raised for the kid.

Gary, set up that camera! I have a fanboy movie to make. I'm going to be an internet star baby!!! :roll:

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Speaking of Star Wars...

Post by jaynedoh » Jul 6th 2003, 11:25 pm

Speaking of Star Wars, has anyone seen A Galaxy Far Far Away?

It's a cool little documentary on the Star Wars phenomenon. It offers insights into the attraction of Star Wars, without mocking the hard core fans, (even though some of the people who were interviewed were rather quirky).
It's funny, intelligent, and that hottie :shock: Andy Garcia has a teeny cameo in it. :D Ahem, okay, that was totally irrelevant to the movie, but in all seriousness, check it out!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 21st 2003, 4:33 pm

Awww, now the Star Wars kid is suing the parents of the kids who put the video online!

You can read about it here

The Talented Krakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by The Talented Krakow » Aug 21st 2003, 6:09 pm

Lol, I didn't see this video before, it's very funny :D. Poor kid, but at least he earned over $4000 with it.
"My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, 'How was that drive-by shooting?' You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky to get out alive."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Aug 21st 2003, 7:14 pm

fnordboy wrote:Gary, set up that camera! I have a fanboy movie to make. I'm going to be an internet star baby!!! :roll:
<holding a Bolex camera and some film>

Ready when you are chief.

<looks at camera>

What are these knobs for?

:D

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 29th 2004, 2:02 pm

I am surprised nobody has posted this info here yet. It seems that the pseudo-OT will be coming out on DVD by the end of this year. I don't know if they will be the special editions or a new extra special edition (i am guessing the latter), but they will definitely not be the theatrical release versions of the OT :( . Rumors have been flying all month about this release, and now there is semi-proof of it's existence:

http://dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=106445

Already up for preorder here. Don't jump the gun and order it though, from what I have heard this place charges you from the time you order...sounds familiar huh? ;) :lol:.

As much as I would like to say that I won't buy them...I know I will, I can't help it :(

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Feb 10th 2004, 6:32 pm

DVD release date set:
Sept. 21st the special edition versions of the first three films will be realeased including a fourth disk of special features.
The fourth disc will be for bonus features, including what the companies described as "the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the 'Star Wars' saga" and never-released archive footage from the making of all three films.
Full article:http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/art ... ews=149448
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts