Star Wars Original Trilogy Petition

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 21st 2004, 12:08 pm

Although my ex-boyfriend grew up in Southern California, he has never seen any of the classics:
Star Wars
Godfather
Wizard of Oz
Goonies
Princess Bride
Big, the list goes on and on
I think he has seen Indian Jones...

I tried for years to get him to watch the Godfather films but he resisted. I know I made him watch parts of Star Wars, but it had about the same effect as when I watched Pride and Prejudice around him. Part of it is that we had very different childhoods and that we have pretty differing interests, but part of it is that he's just stubborn and doesn't want to like what I suggest. The following are movies I tried forever to get him to watch b/c I knew he would love them but that he refused to watch, or claimed that he hated, but then later loved with his friends: Royal Tanenbaums, Big Lebowsky, Bottle Rocket, the Godfathers, Grosse Point Blank, Pulp Fiction etc... I'm still convinced he would love the Sopranos if he gave it a chance. The only movie he really enjoyed that I "made" him watch was Bringing Up Baby -- totally unlikely for a guy who likes movies like Falling Down, Blood in Blood Out, and Swimming with Sharks.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not a big science fic. fan -- I like Blade Runner, but that's about it. But Star Wars was a staple of childhood -- building space cruisers out of blocks while watching the battles and going through space at light speed; we had the action figures and yoda's house, we used wrapping paper rolls as light sabers, I still have my rubber ewok stamp. When I was little and stupid, it was all about Luke Skywalker, but maybe about 4th grade I saw the light -- Han Solo. I will forever love Harrison Ford.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 3rd 2004, 12:47 am

Okay, I'm going to cry. I rented this so-called "New Hope" to see just how sacreligious George Lucas can get, and decided I might try watching it against my recorded version (a very old tape from the early '80s with all three films on it)... So, I put it in the VCR to rewind it, and as it finished, it made a very loud noise; I immediately knew what had happened -- the tape had come loose from the reel. (This same thing happened earlier this year with my old video tape of the first three Anne of Green Gables movies.) I've been told this is something you can maybe get fixed, but that's really no consolation when the relics of childhood are falling apart. Not that my childhood revolved around movies, it didn't, but these were the stories I watched when I was sick, these are what we watched with babysitters or on Saturday mornings, these are the movies my sister and I watched over and over, and the ones my mother would groan at and say, "Not this one, again?" At least these two are, for the most part, replaceable. But if my tapes of the Muppet Show, or the stage production of Snow White (followed by episodes of Fairy Tale Theater) break, part of my childhood will definitely be lost.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 3rd 2004, 2:02 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:Okay, I'm going to cry. I rented this so-called "New Hope" to see just how sacreligious George Lucas can get, and decided I might try watching it against my recorded version (a very old tape from the early '80s with all three films on it)... So, I put it in the VCR to rewind it, and as it finished, it made a very loud noise; I immediately knew what had happened -- the tape had come loose from the reel. (This same thing happened earlier this year with my old video tape of the first three Anne of Green Gables movies.) I've been told this is something you can maybe get fixed, but that's really no consolation when the relics of childhood are falling apart. Not that my childhood revolved around movies, it didn't, but these were the stories I watched when I was sick, these are what we watched with babysitters or on Saturday mornings, these are the movies my sister and I watched over and over, and the ones my mother would groan at and say, "Not this one, again?" At least these two are, for the most part, replaceable. But if my tapes of the Muppet Show, or the stage production of Snow White (followed by episodes of Fairy Tale Theater) break, part of my childhood will definitely be lost.
Awww, so sorry to hear of your loss, or potential loss. Ann of Green Gables is available on DVD though. If you have the cash, or generous friends/family, you might want to check it out.

-LanceMan

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 3rd 2004, 2:46 pm

hmmm...have you considered having your tapes converted to dvds? We're thinking of doing this for our kids videos...I mena the videos of my kids...not thier videos perse'....doh! you now what I mean.

BTW I have the three original Star wars on tape I bought them from a video store ages ago so they are the original releases of them, if we get the dvd's you are very welcome to them :)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 3rd 2004, 3:07 pm

Thanks Wicked :D That is really sweet. Yes, I have looked at Anne and Pride and Prejudiced on DVD -- two movies I taped from TV years ago, and have watched a billion times. It makes sense to get them on DVD, but I haven't quiteb een able to motivate to do it yet as there are other things I need the money for (paying off this new car, the steep insurance rates, and my proposed trip to London this summer, and possiby France this spring). On the other hand, I did just buy the Faerie Tale Theater episodes on DVD! This makes me happy (although I'll probably just watch them each once and then wait for my sister or myself to have kids)

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 3rd 2004, 3:39 pm

I know what you mean about movies and childhood, Jody! I have several old VHS tapes that I still watch. there is something comforting about the same old commercials and the declining quality. DVDs are obviously easier and have many pluses to them. but at the same time they are lacking that intimacy. I have pieces of The Princess Bride on many tapes because I kept taping over it accidently. and The Lost Boys and The Outsiders. they are in horrible condition but I can't seem to throw them away. I'm like that with books too. the words are the same no matter if the book is old or new, but there is still an emotional attachment.

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Oct 3rd 2004, 3:53 pm

I have pieces of The Princess Bride on many tapes because I kept taping over it accidently.
:lol:

snerk been there done that Try and remeber to break off the little tabs..then ya can't tape over it!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 3rd 2004, 4:37 pm

There are a bunch of movies from my childhood that we taped, and even when they come out on DVD, I can't tape over them. There's just something about watching the old (ho ho ho) Green Giant commercials while my sisters and I watch The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Even the movies that we taped off HBO that don't have commercials - there's sentimental value in watching the old tape.

I agree with wicked though - if there is something you love, break that tab off so you don't accidentally tape over it. I taped my sister's last dance concert in high school. It was a few weeks after I got home for summer break, so I had nothing pressing on my schedule :wink: I went to rehearsal the week before so I could see what the formations were (important so I knew ahead of time when to zoom in and zoom out). There is always a tape the school sells of the whole concert, but the quality is questionable (the guy is worse than a dad - he zooms in on people whenever he feels like, and from the waist up - worst dance concert taper ever!) so I told her I would tape just her dances. It's a good thing I did because the idiot "professional" forgot to turn the camera on before the dance that she choreographed, which means I had the only taped copy. She took the tape to college with her, and her bonehead roommate accidentally taped a Michael Jackson special over the whole thing. His excuse was, "It didn't say NOT to tape anything on this tape!" Her rebuttal: "Did this tape say JOEY'S TAPE? NO!" The lesson I have learned is break off that tab to prevent things like this from happening.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm

I'm the same way with audio mix tapes. It's like a nostalgic time warp back to the period that I pulled them off the radio. Plus sometimes you get the DJ forgetting the song name or making some classic "zing!" remark. Priceless.

:-P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 3rd 2004, 9:12 pm

I totally remember making mix tapes off the radio (way back in the dark ages before you could download everything), and one of them still cracks me up - the song was "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money featuring Ronnie Specter. The song stopped abruptly right in the middle and after a few seconds of silence, the DJ came on air and said, "I guess Ronnie didn't feel the same way," and then started another song.

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 10th 2006, 12:54 pm

And after many years, there's finally a reason to un-sticky (I don't think this is actually a word) this thread now:
Despite denials from creator George Lucas, Fox plans to release the unaltered theatrical version of the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD September 12.

The movies will be priced at $30 each and will go on sale September 12, 2006, and be available only until December 31, 2006.
The DVDs will not only include the original version, but also the 2004 "Special Edition".

http://news.digitaltrends.com/article10292.html

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/