Star Wars Original Trilogy Petition

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Star Wars Original Trilogy Petition

Post by lance » Mar 18th 2003, 1:46 pm

Hey all,

Yesterday on digitalbits they announced a petition drive to convince Lucas to release the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD.

For more go here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 18th 2003, 6:49 pm

Thanks for bringing this up lance. It deserves to be highlighted, so I stickied it and added to the title.

If the'Bits is down, you can go to the petition sight directly: www.originaltrilogy.com

[Edit: Holy smokes. They added over 5,000 signatures in ONE DAY! ]

Gary
(Signature #5418. Hope this'll do some good.)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 18th 2003, 7:09 pm

GaryEA wrote:Thanks for bringing this up lance. It deserves to be highlighted, so I stickied it and added to the title.

If the'Bits is down, you can go to the petition sight directly: www.originaltrilogy.com

[Edit: Holy smokes. They added over 5,000 signatures in ONE DAY! ]

Gary
(Signature #5418. Hope this'll do some good.)
#11286 for me...goddamn...

Doubt it will do anything but worth the shot.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 19th 2003, 3:52 am

Geez, only like 8 hours later and they are already up to #12775.

I really wish that I believed this would work :(

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 19th 2003, 12:24 pm

I don't know. While I believe it's a very long shot that Luca$ will change his mind, if this petition stays healty and doesn't collapse, it might help to sway his decision. Or at least give him a wake up call.

Gary

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Mar 19th 2003, 12:43 pm

Its too bad that any sales of the original trilogy will be seen as taking away from sales of the Oh-this-is-how-I-really-mean-it trilogy.

I mean, if you are only going to buy one set, which one would it be?
Exactly.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 19th 2003, 6:58 pm

andrewgd wrote:Its too bad that any sales of the original trilogy will be seen as taking away from sales of the Oh-this-is-how-I-really-mean-it trilogy.

I mean, if you are only going to buy one set, which one would it be?
I would only by the OT if Lucas digitally inserts Jar Jar into key scenes. Maybe Jar Jar could shoot first? Or Jar Jar could save them from the trash compactor!! :roll:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 19th 2003, 7:02 pm

andrewgd wrote:Its too bad that any sales of the original trilogy will be seen as taking away from sales of the Oh-this-is-how-I-really-mean-it trilogy.
Seriously though, we all know that everyone of us fanboys will go out and buy both versions (Original Original Trilogy, and Original Trilogy Extra Crispy).

Plus if Lucas was smart he would release the Original as a cleaned up bare bones disc and release his "fixed" versions as 2 disc special editions like Episodes 1 and 2 (and presumably 3) were.

I am torn I can't tell if this is just the Lucas camp getting the fans in a frenzy frothing at the mouth to pick up a set of these when he releases them (as he always has), or is Lucas just that much of an asshole? Both seem like valid explanations.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 20th 2003, 10:37 am

fnordboy wrote:
Seriously though, we all know that everyone of us fanboys will go out and buy both versions (Original Original Trilogy, and Original Trilogy Extra Crispy).

Plus if Lucas was smart he would release the Original as a cleaned up bare bones disc and release his "fixed" versions as 2 disc special editions like Episodes 1 and 2 (and presumably 3) were.

I am torn I can't tell if this is just the Lucas camp getting the fans in a frenzy frothing at the mouth to pick up a set of these when he releases them (as he always has), or is Lucas just that much of an asshole? Both seem like valid explanations.
Fnordboy,

You are so right, fans would buy both versions if actually given the option. I am #4423 by the way. I sincerely hope that we are given the chance to get the originally trilogy on DVD.

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 20th 2003, 7:28 pm

While it's still early, this fanboy has no plans to buy a "super set" if the OT is not included. None.

It started with these films, and sweeping them under the rug because he thinks they're inferior now that he has a Ranch full of special effects smacks more of selfish arrogance than any honest and creative intention. They're not "drafts", as he describes them; they're what got him where he is. If they're such a problem, REMAKE THEM. That way they'll fit in with your tepid prequels.

I have the laserdiscs, and if that's the only way to have the originals I grew with, without any CGI tinkering, fine. I'll keep my cash.

Gary
Last edited by GaryEA on Mar 20th 2003, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 20th 2003, 8:16 pm

Thank you for submitting your signature. Your signature ID number is #17043.
Sweet. Thanks, Lance.

What a fan I am checking in with my favorite website even though the husband and I are on vacation on the Outer Banks!

:wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

DVDOwner
Nicky Driscoll

Post by DVDOwner » Mar 20th 2003, 10:57 pm

I'm number 17267!

I'm one of those people who will ONLY buy the original trilogy!

I have the Original Trilogy on VHS Unfortunately they are not Letterboxed!

After watching the Special Edition of Star Wars I did't bother with the other SEs!

I wasn't that crazy about The Phantom Menace!

Haven't watched Attack Of The Clowns yet, I'm not in any hurry.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 20th 2003, 11:34 pm

DVDOwner wrote: I have the Original Trilogy on VHS Unfortunately they are not Letterboxed!

After watching the Special Edition of Star Wars I did't bother with the other SEs!
I have the original trilogy too, I am hoping i bougt them widescreen, but I am afraid to look :? I hope they are so I can make myself some dvds from them.

I am with you I saw te SE of Star Wars in the theater and though it was the biggest load of crap, refused to watch the rest of em :cry:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 21st 2003, 1:06 am

Empire gets worse, IMO. I remember it being very distracting because every window had some CGI zipping by. Constant distractions.

Oh, then there's Luke's wailing as he falls. Ugh.

I could go on for hours on the problems I have, and the result probably be me sounding like a bitter s.o.b. (a job reserved for fnordboy :wink:) prattling on. The bottom line is that the Special Editions did not work for me as a whole. Some parts looked very interesting, like the revised dogfight over the Death Star in Star Wars (minus the ringed explosion). Ergo, the original trilogy is my cup of tea.

Look, the films are twenty-five years old, and growing. They amassed a HUGE gathering before the 1997 SE's (which were testing grounds for the prequels). You cannot tell me that al of these people are suppose to dutifully accept this retroactive change - revisionist film history - and not remember when the films were charming and simple and about characters that meant something. Not this shiny pretty stuff. The story is intact. THAT'S what's important.

There is no single reason that could justify not allowing them to be released at least once. Not the fact that they're his, not the fact that he's getting to "finish" them they way he originally intended, not even a slavish devotion to "director's intent".

If that's the case, shouldn't I demand the final three movies he promised when I was a kid? He kept saying it; Nine movies. So what about them?

Sorry. Not buying it. Literally.

There's a point where a film trancends being a filmmaker's dream and becomes the dreams (or memories) of generations of children and adults. Tinker with them all you want, but leave my dreams and memories be.

Please.

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Lucas madness

Post by lance » Mar 21st 2003, 11:24 pm

Hey all,

South park had a spectacular episode mocking all this special, ultra-special edition nonsense. The Star Wars special edition trilogy just looked way too busy for me.

If Lucas does not put out the original trilogy, I won't be buying his revamped versions.

Best,

Lance Man