Donnie Darko

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Donnie Darko

Post by jaynedoh » Feb 13th 2003, 3:41 am

am i the only dorko who loved "donnie darko"? i just saw this little movie last weekend. apparently, it's a huge "cult" hit?? did anyone else see this? did you like it? hate it?
i really like jake gyllenhaal... i'll have to check on the spelling of his name. he's talented, and cute! ;)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 13th 2003, 4:52 am

I haven't seen it, but I have heard a lot of good things about it! It's on my Netflix list so I'll see it eventually (I'm working on Six Feet Under right now).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Donnie Darko

Post by fnordboy » Feb 13th 2003, 2:16 pm

jaynedoh wrote:am i the only dorko who loved "donnie darko"? i just saw this little movie last weekend. apparently, it's a huge "cult" hit?? did anyone else see this? did you like it? hate it?
i really like jake gyllenhaal... i'll have to check on the spelling of his name. he's talented, and cute! ;)
Nope right here is another Darko dorko ;)

I was waiting to see this movie forever and got it the day it came out on DVD, i think I watched it twice that same night (once for movie, second with commentary). It really blew me away the first time I watched it. I jsut recently watched it again (about 2 weeks ago) and I still really enjoy the movie.

I think it is a fairly intelligent movie with some great characters that you really do feel for. It has a few plot holes in it but what do you expect, I think it was his first movie (the director) and it was a big undertaking.

Anyone who hasn't seen it really needs to check it out. Has a great soundtrack too :)

Brandon_
Frozen Embryo

Post by Brandon_ » Feb 13th 2003, 4:15 pm

I don't know where to being on this! Absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time! If you haven't been to the official website yet, definitely give it a look.. it's very well done.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Feb 16th 2003, 3:22 pm

I look at it as an interesting failure. Kind of like Vanilla Sky.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Feb 24th 2003, 2:32 am

this movie had some great moments, and a great story. i was a little disapointed with the ending, hard to exsplain why. id recomend it to anyone who hast seen it. Frank, that was the rabbits name right, was a neat carcture. kind of ruined it seeing who he was tho.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

Tyler Durden
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Tyler Durden » Jun 13th 2003, 9:05 pm

Quite possibly my favourite film of the noughties. Seen it about ten times now, first at the cinema. Still haven't quite grasped what it was all about. Thought I had, but then watched the directors commentary and he completly threw me.
Has anyone seen the extras with all the Watership Down deleted scenes? Thought they would have been really nice in the film. IMHO, a film where you come out and can talk about it for hours and hours afterwards is a film worth seeing.
BTW, if anyone saw the commentary, did you find Jake Gylenhaal kind of irritating, considering he was pretty damn cool in the film?
If anyone could help enlighten me anymore on the film, it would be much appreciated, cheers.
"My sons a homosexual and I love him. I love my dead, gay son"

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 14th 2003, 3:12 am

Well I would like to talk about this movie some more, but right now I am beat...need sleep. So I wil say yes, I did find Jake Gyllenhal pretty annoying, not what I expected. And seeing that he is now with Kirsten Dunst just furthers my suspicions about him.

We should talk about this film though.

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Donnie Darko

Post by jaynedoh » Jul 6th 2003, 11:06 pm

The following sites have great insights into the movie:

http://www.ruinedeye.com/cd/follow.htm
(you have to click on the word on the chalkboard, "cellar door", to access the site).

http://www.temporary-insanity.com/darko

the official site, http://www.donniedarko.com , is not very helpful.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 12th 2003, 8:19 pm

I have finally seen Donnie Darko on DVD. Although I like the movie overall, I think the director cut too many scenes.

[spoiler]The scenes in which we find out Donnie's pills are placeboes and Donnie's father's admission of his past mental illness are sorely needed.[/spoiler]

It must be very hard to be a director who does not have final cut of a movie.

I really like the tone of the movie. The cast does a good job as well. And I give the DVD presentation 5 stars because so many extras are included on one disc. Many DVDs, even 2-disc sets, skimp on extras. I really think paying $9.99 is stealing this movie. It's a good addition to anyone's collection. Plus, you get to see Maggie Gyllenhaal, who I love in secretary.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 15th 2005, 1:46 am

so tomorrow they are releasing a Director's cut with new extra features tomorrow. unfortunately, I can't afford to buy it, but it's definitely #1 on my netflix.

in a related story, the historic theater downtown shows independent and foreign films every sunday night. this past sunday was supposed to be Donnie Darko Director's Cut. but literally the day before they cancelled because they couldn't get the film from the distributor's. I was so upset. I had been looking forward to seeing it on the big screen for an entire month! :cry:

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Donnie Darko

Post by Tish » Dec 12th 2009, 3:26 am

so i see this so-called cult classic to see what the hubbub was about...i liked the movie but the film left me a little depressed because i was like wtf donnie's sitting looking at the sky smiling next thing he's dead...i understand it now after reading the plot on wikepedia... :evil:

oh yeah...and i actually liked vanilla sky... :evilbat:
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"