Grease 3

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Grease 3

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 11th 2003, 7:43 pm

I kid you not!
Grease is the word ... again! Twenty-five years after the first film swept them both into stardom, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John have agreed to appear in Grease 3. Australia's Daily Telegraph News reports that Travolta, now 48, who played Danny Zucco, and Newton-John, now 54, who played Sandy Olsson, will be seen as parents when they are reunited at a Rydell High School reunion. British paper The Daily Star reports that in addition to Newton-John and Travolta, 34-year-old pop singer Kylie Minogue has signed on to play their teenage daughter. "Kylie definitely doesn't look anything like her age and shouldn't have any problem playing a teenager," an insider told the paper. "Anyway, it's worked before because Olivia was 30 herself when she played Sandy in 1978."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 11th 2003, 9:41 pm

Isn't Grease 3 a sign of the Apocalypse?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 11th 2003, 10:53 pm

At 34, how the hell is Minouge supposed to be their "teenage daughter"? She doesn't look teen to me.

The only time I think somebody pulled it off was Radar on MASH (with Gary Burghoff being a lot older than a teenager soldier).

Maybe I should watch Grease before I criticize it, eh? :shock:

Gary
(the selective film buff :D )

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 11th 2003, 10:54 pm

At 34, how the hell is Minouge supposed to be their "teenage daughter"? She doesn't look teen to me.

The only time I think somebody pulled it off was Radar on MASH (with Gary Burghoff being a lot older than a teenager soldier).

Maybe I should watch Grease before I criticize it, eh? :shock:

Gary
(the selective film buff :D )

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Grease 3

Post by lance » Feb 12th 2003, 9:37 am

I was unaware of the desperate need for a third installment :roll:

(Sigh) Sometimes people just can't leave good things alone.

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 12th 2003, 10:09 am

Wow. Unbelievable. They couldn't just leave it on a good note with Grease 2 and Michelle Pfeiffer (sp) and that cute English guy.

:wink:

And if the entire cast of 90210 (Gabrielle and Luke, I'm talking to you!) can "pull off" being teenagers and 20-somethings well into their 30s, then why can't Kylie? :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 12th 2003, 3:51 pm

I moved the Can't Hardly Wait Discussion here.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 12th 2007, 9:31 pm

First of all, thank goodness that Grease 3 hasn't come to fruition yet!

Is anyone watching the new reality show "You're the One That I Want" where they are doing a casting search to find an actor and an actress to play Danny and Sandy on Broadway? So far, the show is not that interesting but hopefully once they get a group of finalists they can start showing each of the contestants. Right now it's just a sea of bad auditions.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 14th 2007, 11:05 pm

Grease 3?! I can't even really get behind Grease 2.

It's so problematic when shows and movies cast 30-somethings as teens. No wonder we, or at least I, never feel as grown up as it seems I should when raised on images of adults of 25-35 playing 15-18-year-olds.

And even though they were the ones that they wanted, would Danny and Sandy actually have kids? Are they still A wop ba-ba lu-mop a wop bam boom?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 15th 2007, 12:07 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:And even though they were the ones that they wanted, would Danny and Sandy actually have kids? Are they still A wop ba-ba lu-mop a wop bam boom?
And seriously, would they even be together after high school? That's why I don't like reading the fanfics very much (sorry to anyone who post them...). It's not the writing per se. It's that some of them have Angela ending up with either Jordan or Brian, which I have a REALLY hard time swallowing.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 15th 2007, 1:16 am

That's my issue with some tv shows too when they try to do something where the main characters end up together years from now. It happens, but not often enough for me to find it believable. As sad as it was in the last episode of the Wonder Years to find out that Kevin married someone else, I found it very realistic.

It wasn't clear from the original Grease 3 description whether they were still together. Since it says that Danny and Sandy were supposed to be reunited at the Rydell reunion, it sounded like they were not together anymore but see each other at the reunion. Of course, that doesn't explain how Kylie Minogue would be their daughter. Maybe Sandy got pregnant and then was knocked unconscious and taken back to Australia by her parents. I can't believe I'm trying to come up with a plausible storyline for this non-existent movie.

:lol:

I understand why older people are often cast as teenagers due to the child labor laws (see: why the other MSCL cast members got more storylines as a result of Claire Danes being so young), but I hate when they really push the age credibility. I'm willing to buy someone who is 19 or 20 as a high school student, but casting anyone over the age of 30 to play a teenager is usually ridiculous.