the Crow

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

the Crow

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2002, 8:56 pm

I was thinking of kriddyboo last night because the E! True Hollywood Story of Brandon Lee was on.

His fiancee was not interviewed - do you know anything about Eliza since his death?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 20th 2002, 1:06 am

From what I understand, Eliza quietly went into seclusion and refused to do any interviews after the movie was released. I've heard nothing about her since. I sincerely hope she's found some semblance of happiness since then.

What a beautiful film. My friend and I caught the first showing in Manhattan the day it came out, and we walked out stunned. Honestly, I don't remember how many times I went to see it, but it must have been five or six.

I spent most of film school trying to recapture that combined sense of love, loss and hope. Lightning in a bottle, and a foolish thing to try to grab with both hands.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 1st 2003, 2:33 am

GaryEA wrote:I spent most of film school trying to recapture that combined sense of love, loss and hope. Lightning in a bottle, and a foolish thing to try to grab with both hands.
Well...that would explain the hair ;) :twisted:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 1st 2003, 2:38 am

Oh, you're just on a roll tonight, aren't you? :wink:

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 1st 2003, 2:38 am

GaryEA wrote:Oh, you're just on a roll tonight, aren't you? :wink:
Seems that way huh? ;)

Guess I need to catch up on lost time... and that was just too easy :twisted:

[fat bastard]I'm one sassy motherF-er[/fat bastard]

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 1st 2003, 2:42 am

Took ya a month to write it too...

Oh great, I've got Fat Bastard in my head...

GIT IN ME BELLY!

:twisted:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 1st 2003, 2:45 am

GaryEA wrote:Took ya a month to write it too...

Oh great, I've got Fat Bastard in my head...

GIT IN ME BELLY!

:twisted:
lol :lol:

Yeah, I somehow missed the crow thread before I guess. It caught my eye tonight.

Anyway to stay on topic...good movie..though I really like part 2 better because that was when Mia Kirschner was hot. Now...eh.. then...to die for.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 1st 2003, 2:59 am

I thought the second one was pretty good too. Nowhere near the first mind you, but it had a lot of moments that were really sharp.

The problem was Judah, quoting from the Bard, milling around his freaky palace. The film seemed too far removed from the first, which was much more earthy and dirty.

Why they ended City of Angels the way they did is beyond me. They could have finished the tale in the third film with her...

Oh well.

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

crow

Post by lance » Feb 3rd 2003, 10:15 am

With Brandon's passing I had no incentive to the second installment. Any good?

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 3rd 2003, 7:56 pm

City of Angels is a completely different film than the first, in style, writing and approach.

It had a lot going against it, most notably Lee's death. A lot of people felt that if he had survived and there was going to be a sequel, he would have been in it. To make the film, they went in a different direction, but kept some threads to tie the two together.

The look of it is completely different than the first; Alex Proyas had a dirty, earthen look to the film with rain-soaked streets. Bill Pope saturates the screen with metallic colors in green mists and yellow arc lights. Motorcyles disappear completely into low lying fog, which is pretty neat. Sometimes it works, other times it looks gaudy.

Mia as the grown Sarah is really good, but the character doesn't feel like a natural progression of the teen we saw in the first film. Yeah, I can see her as a loner working at tattoo parlor, but something was missing.

Vincent Perez did a very good job as Ash, and offered a different take on the mythology. He had this rage about him as he taunted each victim, which worked really well. And he sold his anguish over the death of his son.

The real problem is the villian - Judah Earl; a post-modern L.A. Top Dollar, quoting from Shakespeake, walking around his S&M castle. It's cliched and tired. Iggy Pop, however, is a great henchman, and in my opinion, should have been Judah, which, I think, would have made for a different movie.

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: crow

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 3rd 2003, 8:09 pm

lance wrote:With Brandon's passing I had no incentive to the second installment. Any good?

Lance Man
Me too - I felt like seeing the second one would be some kind of betrayal to Brandon Lee, like I was helping The Man make money off of his death. Not very logical of me, I know, but my misplaced loyalty has to go somewhere.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: crow

Post by fnordboy » Feb 4th 2003, 2:18 am

candygirl wrote:
lance wrote:With Brandon's passing I had no incentive to the second installment. Any good?

Lance Man
Me too - I felt like seeing the second one would be some kind of betrayal to Brandon Lee, like I was helping The Man make money off of his death. Not very logical of me, I know, but my misplaced loyalty has to go somewhere.
It is definitely worth a watch, i enjoy it. I have never seen the third one though...

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

crow 2

Post by lance » Feb 4th 2003, 3:02 pm

Fnordboy and GaryEA,

Thanks for the endorsement and analysis. I may take a look.

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 4th 2003, 7:45 pm

No problem lance. Let us know what you think of it whenever you get to see it.

fnordboy, the third film is pretty shaky. I have it as part of the box set. Some of it is good, but the majority of it is low-budget, B-movie fare. Think Hellraiser 3 and go on from there.

Of course, your milage may vary. :wink:

Anybody ever watch the television series?

Gary
(hoping they won't make a fourth film)

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 7th 2003, 3:17 pm

From today's edition of Dark Horizons...

----------------

The Crow: Wicked Prayer: Production Weekly reports T2 star and regular tabloid headliner Edward Furlong is tipped for the lead role of Jimmy Cuervo in the fourth 'Crow' feature. The story has Cuervo and his girlfriend Lily killed by the gang leader of Satanic Bikers as part of a ritual to become an immortal demon, but the leader finds that Jimmy has been transformed into the avenging spirit of The Crow. Production is scheduled to begin April 21 on location in either Salt Lake City, Utah or Capetown, South Africa under the helm of Lance Mungia. Thanks to 'FanHalen'.

----------------

Okay, first impression? It isn't necessary. To me, the series ended when COA was over. Salvation was a low-budget after-thought.

We've got eight Hellrasier movies (two of which unreleased), and they should have stopped at Hellbound, IMHO. Note that the same company (Miramax/Dimension) controls both properties.

I know the mythology that O'Barr, the filmmakers, comic writers and novelists makes the basic premise behind The Crow very broad, allowing for all sorts of possibilities. But this seems... oh, I don't know.

Look; A two sentence run-down about a film doesn't tell us much of anything. We'll see, much like we did with "Salvation".

Gary

p.s. Didn't realise Furlong was able to work again. The only reason he wasn't in T3 was because of his drinking problems and erratic behavior. Good for him. I guess.