Roswell

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Roswell

Post by oldguy » Oct 29th 1999, 3:02 pm

I just wanted to echo some comments made earlier on the board,
that the new WB show "Roswell" (created by MSCL story editor
Jason Katims) is really outstanding. This past week's show was,
I think, as good as any MSCL episode (bound to be a controversial
statement, I can imagine --- but I really believe it).

I was a little sceptical when I first heard about "Roswell" --- I mean,
how could a show about teenagers who were secretly alien beings
make a good show. But trust me --- it really works --- and it's
definitely the most exciting of all the new shows (I particularly
think the romantic tension between the two lead characters is
really powerful.).

Jason Katims hasn't forgotten MSCL either --- This show incorporates
some of the wonderful elements of MSCL. One thing I particularly like
is the musical soundtrack --- Most of the new shows are very dry
with little audio, but this show has some great musical effects.
The stories are engrossing (much like MSCL). I think the Sci-Fi
aspect of the show can be read a lot of ways --- I kind of view it as
almost an abstract lens in which to show how people can feel
"alienated" ---- It works very well, and the show seems to be
getting better with each episode.

OK --- I've had my soap box --------------- Let me know what
you think !

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: MSCL / Roswell Link

Post by Jack » Oct 29th 1999, 4:53 pm

Hey oldguy,

This is Jack, the other old guy (the "real" old guy), and I have to say, I've seen the premiere episode of
Roswell and I thought it was awful. I thought it was cheesy and seemed like any other television show
that lacks a voice. And that is what MSCL had, a distinct voice, a signature. But having said that, I'll
give it another shot. I may have been too hasty in my dismissal. So thanks for the info and take care.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Oct 29th 1999, 5:45 pm

Well, everybody has a different perspective ------- Maybe you're just
the sort of person looking for something completely different. I've
sort of come to believe that people's tastes are quite different, and
one person's majesty can be another's disgust. I've seen similar
disagreements at this very site --- so I guess no one should be
surprised.

At any rate --- what didn't you like? Is the whole "alien" thing too
weird for you, or was there some other problem? I confess that
I'm a huge X-Files fan too ---- so that may partly explain why this
appeals to me (or perhaps why I could "adapt" easily to this type
of show).

By the way, when was the premere? I've only watched for three
weeks, so I don't know how long the show has been on.

soma
Liberty High Student

Post by soma » Oct 29th 1999, 8:20 pm

I could be mistaken, but I think there's only been 4 episodes so far. I've watched/recorded it every week since the premiere and I'm pretty sure it's 4. If it isn't 4, then it's 5. :) And there haven't been any weeks since the premiere that the show hasn't aired, so that should give you some time frames for the premiere.

I liked last night's episode. I think the premiere is my favorite so far. I was also thinking last night that the last couple episodes seemed laggy...like the plot was moving slowly (still a great show though). But then I remembered, I felt the same way when MSCL first aired. The pilot was amazing, the next few shows were good, but not great. I think it's because right now they're trying to introduce everything, give you a feel for the plot and the characters. It's hard to write anything entertaining when you're trying to flesh it out first. Think back to the "intros" of college essays you wrote. They aren't good/understandable until a foundation has been laid out. But that's just my humble opinion.

One thing I keep noticing (and love) about Roswell is the use of symbolism. Almost everytime they show Max (or Isabel/Michael) and cut to another scene, an alien is always the camera's first focus. Like in the opening scene last night, Max was talking to Isabel as he stuffed the organ back into the alien. Then the scene cut to the hallway of the school, focusing on a big alien drawing first. I think that's definitely some MSCL influences right there. :)

I love how they round the show with Liz writing in her diary, but I kind of wish every show didn't start with "Hi, I'm Liz Parker, today I.....". I mean, who starts their diary introducing themselves? A minor flaw in the show for me, but one of the few. :)

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 29th 1999, 11:22 pm

I haven't seen Roswell yet, but I saw Freaks and Geeks for the first time tonight. NBC reaired the pilot episode. It was strange. I think the show and actors have so much potential. Nothing was really wrong necessarily with the story line, but I think the directing was strange. Instead of always trying to make the show humorous (because they failed at that sometimes) they need to get the audience emotionally attached to the characters as well. Some parts just seemed so AKWARD to me, but I can't really pin down exactly the reason. Does anyone else understand what I mean?

BTW--Soma--what does your screen name mean? Does it have anything to do with the novel Brave New World? (Good book!!) Also, I hear Catcher in the Rye is a good book--many people compare Angela Chase to the main character of the book. Has anyone read it?

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: Catcher in the Rye

Post by oldguy » Oct 30th 1999, 1:58 pm

In Catcher in the Rye, I think the main character runs away from a boarding school.
The character, if I remember correctly, has more serious problems fitting into society
than Angela Chase (more like Rickie). I think Angela is really a more universal
character --- She's almost a symbol of the typical disaffected youth (and her problems
are the problems almost every thoughtful young person experiences.

I was initially interested in Freaks and Geeks, but grew disappointed. You're right
that the show tries to hard for this kind of light humor ---- If it stuck to drama, it
would probably work (But the attempt at humor makes it seem too banal.).

soma
Liberty High Student

Post by soma » Nov 2nd 1999, 6:05 pm

actually my screen name came from an old smashing pumpkins song. on most message boards i go by "somamoons" or "somastars", but sometimes i abbreviate it like i do here.

i have read catcher in the rye (numerous times) and i think angela and holden could be compared, but it wouldn't be extensive. holden is a very dark character. the book (which took place in the 40's or 50's) is about him going through a nervous breakdown/depression and he also tries to run from growing up. the title "catcher in the rye" comes from a dream he has of saving kids from running off of a cliff (the cliff represents adulthood and loss of innocence). the book is filled with confrontations holden has with adulthood that he can't handle and therefore gets depressed.

i think people would make a comparison of him with angela because they're both introspective and moody, but they really have two different viewpoints. angela isn't afraid of growing up, she was just afraid of losing herself in the process. holden didn't want to grow up, period. angela doesn't pay much attention to people who are "fake", but she doesn't shun them either. holden completely hates fake people. and it goes on....

i think angela portrays more emotions then holden does, and also doesn't have such a negative view of the world. but that's just me. :)

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Nov 2nd 1999, 9:43 pm

Thank you for the clarifications! I think I will be reading Catcher in the Rye in the very near future--it sounds like something I would enjoy. Also--I really like the Smashing Pumpkins. I'm not a "Trekkie"-type follower of theirs, but I do enjoy their music--they are great artists. Hope everyone had a safe, happy Halloween!!

~angelika~

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

MSCL / Roswell Link

Post by oldguy » Dec 11th 1999, 8:26 am

Does anybody out there have a video tape of the first "Roswell" episode?
I'm dying to get a copy.

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » Jan 8th 2000, 12:21 am

I heard all of you talking about Roswell and so I thought I would check it out. I hadn't seen any of the previous episodes and it really didn't make much since to me. I saw the episode where the girl "loses" her diary, and she had written all about what had happened to her or something. The show was different, I can't really give my opinion on it cause I haven't seen enough of the show to really know.

Roswell

Post by Guest » Mar 22nd 2000, 5:41 pm

Hi everyone, this is soma. I forgot my password and I'm too lazy to look it up, so bear with me.

Anyway around December, some online friends coupled with me and we decided to create sarcastic webpage devoted to Roswell. Don't get us wrong, we like Roswell!!!, but you have to admit sometimes the acting is a little less than par (as is the plot). So we decided to have some fun with it. Feedback is always welcome and remember: It's all just a JOKE!!!! we LIKE Roswell! :)

http://www.freespeech.org/somamoons/ratdg/intro.htm

PS: Freaks and Geeks got cancelled for good. Another awesome show dropped. :(

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: Roswell

Post by oldguy » Mar 24th 2000, 4:03 pm

Hey --- nice site. I think "Roswell" is open for lampooning
(in a good sort of way --- kind of like "Star Trek"). It's a cool
show, although quite different from MSCL. You have to look
at it a little differently --- kind of half-comedy, half-adventure,
half weird-TV-fun-experience.
-------------- with great music, of course, too (which
distinguishes "Roswell" from "Star Trek" and other similar
shows).

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Roswell renewed

Post by oldguy » May 16th 2000, 5:55 pm

I think it's pretty cool that WB decided to renew Roswell. It's too bad
MSCL wasn't originally running on a smaller, more "take-chances" network
back in '95.

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Roswell renewed

Post by ataris » May 16th 2000, 6:05 pm

It's good to know that Roswell is renewed. Speaking of which did anyone see the season finale? A lot happened. So are Liz and Max not together anymore? How could they do that?

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: Roswell renewed

Post by oldguy » May 31st 2000, 5:52 pm

I think "Roswell" changed quite a bit over the course of the season.
It started out much more like MSCL, with Liz doing voiceovers (like
Angela on MSCL), and a lot of focus on teen life. Than I think
they got pressured into making the show more action-packed, more sci-fi.
In some respects, the show did get better --- but it kind of reduced Liz
from the main character to just one of the group. The show ended in
a very exciting and promising way for next season, but I think they lost
many nice (MSCL-like) qualities as well.

It will be interesting to see if the Max/Liz romance continues in the
second season. This was originally the foundation of the show ---
So I wonder if they will keep it going.