What are Lifer's watching these days?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
chosephine
Jody Barsh

Re: What are Lifer's watching these days?

Post by chosephine » Jan 18th 2002, 10:33 pm

Thanks for the info on the Kaytee website, dTheater. I've been going there a lot and I've downloaded some good mp3s. Hopefully she'll have an album out sometime in the near future...

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Feb 4th 2002, 3:30 pm

My all time favorite TV addictions besides the obvious one of which we here usually speak...
Twin Peaks
M*A*S*H*

and my guilty addictions involve Buffy, La Femme Nikita, and Ally McBeal...but I never see any of them any more...

=)L

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Hallie in Smallville??

Post by K-man » Feb 4th 2002, 5:45 pm

I had the television on last week while working around the house and Smallville came on ( i have never seen it before) and without seeing her face Superman's mom came on and spoke and before I looked up I would have sworn it was Hallie. From across the room, it looked/sounded exactly like Hallie. Only after I focused on her face did I realize it was not the same person. I only remember that actress as being Nick Nolte's difficult girlfriend in 48 hrs. For a second I was fooled too.

k-man

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 5th 2002, 5:28 am

No, k-man, it was not Lisa Waltz who appears in Smallville but rather Annette O'Toole. You can find out more about what AO was in by checking the Internet Movie Database at <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/Name?O%27Toole,+Anne ... Annette</A>

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Feb 5th 2002, 5:35 pm

Interestingly enough, Annette O'toole played Lara Lang in the Christopher Reeve Superman movies (Superman 3, I believe).

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Feb 6th 2002, 4:14 am

You are correct, Jack. Sometimes I wish Smallville wasn't on at the same time as 24 so that I could check this show out. I was a big fan of the Superman movies, although they lost me when they got to Superman IV: Quest for Peace.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

richard
Liberty High Student

Post by richard » Feb 9th 2002, 1:52 pm

I found a quote the other day on the bbc site where Josss Wheldon said that he wanted 'buffy' to be a cross between 'My So-Called Life' and 'X-files', so I suppose that explains why a lot of people like both??

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 28th 2002, 3:39 pm

Wow, that IS really interesting. That explains why I am obsessed with BtVS these days. I love the way the Buffy/Spike relationship has been developed. The moment when she realized that she does love him - oh, the look on her face. And watching Spike change from a reluctant non-evil vampire to an unofficial Scooby has been great too. I couldn't believe how much sex they showed - I thought that was reserved for cable! Anyway, I know that a lot of people dismiss Buffy as a silly, superficial show but they have been exploring a lot of great issues - what is a being without a soul? What is a soul? What is evil? Can someone who is good become evil and vice versa, or do they essentially stay the same inside despite their actions? One of the first shows to make me ponder since MSCL.

I have been watching 24 also - I was yelling at my tv last week =)

chosephine
Jody Barsh

Post by chosephine » Feb 28th 2002, 7:21 pm

I was so excited when I first read that quote from Joss- my three favorite shows of all time mentioned in a single sentence! And I completey agree with you about BtVS and Buffy's relationship with Spike. I'm still reeling from Tuesday's episode- it was so sad and sweet!

Lauria
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lauria » Mar 3rd 2002, 4:01 pm

So it seems that I'm not the only BTVS, Angel fan that also hides out here at the MSCL site! YEAH!!! As I have mentioned in a previous post on this thread I have an addiction to Buffy and Angel (as well as an undying love of MASH, Twin Peaks, and of course MSCL, and sporadically an affection for X-Files of yore)...

Are any of you Buffy/Angel fans posters on the Buffy offical site in the Bronze posting board? I am Xandora over there. And I swear I saw someone title a posting over there today (March 3) about mocking us with their monkey pants....so did WORLDS APART post that one?

Anywho, I hope to see some of you over there at the Bronze sometimes!

Hope springs eternal

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » May 16th 2002, 11:59 am

There is a very similar show premiering this Friday night on PBS
called Senior Year. I saw a commercial for it and it looks a lot like American High.

Hey DT,
I was wondering if you have been watching this show and if it is any good or not. As luck would have it our PBS affiliate here in St. Luois is NOT running it. AAARGH! Just curious what your thoughts were. thanks

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens. K-man

kenickie
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kenickie » May 18th 2002, 1:13 pm

I too have been absolutely enthralled by "Buffy". A friend had to MAKE me watch a couple of the earlier episodes 'cos I insisted it was for fools... how wrong was I!! I completely agree with the earlier post that said it regularly out-do's many movies.
I also loved the british tv show "this life" about a group of barristers/lawyers. It was fantastic t.v. which was cancelled dramatically when regular script writers couldn't agree with the new script writer they had hired...
Another show which majorly broke ground in the u.k. was "queer as folk" which was later re-made in america. It was the first ever gay themed drama/soap in this country and regularly pulled in amazing viewing figures. It was just fantastic!! Other than tat, the only other things I have gone mad about lately are "The league of gentleman" a comedy/drama show darker than the night and also "spaced" a sitcom/drama about a couple of flatmates. Both shows are very surreal, just what I need these days to get away from the even stranger world of real life...

Let's make the memories, that dreamers only claim,
But it's hard, when the world knows your name.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » May 19th 2002, 3:25 am

K-man posted:

>< Hey DT,
I was wondering if you have been watching this show (Senior Year) and if it is any good or not. As luck would have it our PBS affiliate here in St. Luois is NOT running it. AAARGH! Just curious what your thoughts were. thanks ><

You know, I never got around to checking that out. The local PBS affiliate did show the entire run I believe, and everytime I would see it in the TV guide, I'd make a mental note to remember it was on, but I'd always forget and then remember when it was too late. It's very frustrating. So I guessed I missed it. Hopefully it'll be re-run.

I did hear some good things about it, like it was better than American High. Senior Year took place in an urban school which is much more relatable, at least for me.

I also read somewhere that the creator of American High and his crew were doing a new documentary series about med students.

- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

Post by Guest » May 20th 2002, 5:44 am

A lot of Aussie TV:
Big Brother II (Oh the hideous shame)
I did watch Dawsons, but it got cancelled here doh
The Simpsons reruns
The best show ever, I thought (after MSCL) was an Aussie show called Seachange, I loved that thing....it too got cancelled (why does this happen to all the shows I like? Why?)
Oh and Neighbours (aussie soap)
Sex and the City
heheh I'm so ashamed about watching Big Brother and Neighbours lol

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2002, 3:28 pm

I know that this is wrongwrongWRONG, but I can't control myself - I read the Buffy & Angel wildfeed every week! Even though I know what will happen, I still have to watch them. That whole Spike attacking Buffy thing was a lot tamer on paper than it was on screen. Soooo what do you think will happen once Spike passes all the tests - will be become an evil chipless vampire or a being with a soul?

I am not on the Bronze board but I have been lurking at the buffysearch board for almost a year now. Although this season was not what I expected, most of the people on the board have had insightful comments on what's been going on.

These simultaneous season/series finales are KILLING me!! Thank goodness I have a VCR so I can see 24 and Buffy.

"I mock you with my monkey pants" - classic Oz. Love it!!