What are Lifer's watching these days?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Brandon
Tino

Re: What are Lifer's watching these days?

Post by Brandon » Dec 7th 2001, 10:10 pm

Buffy, Roswell and Scrubs are just about all I watch every week.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 10th 2001, 11:19 pm

Me too, me too! I have been watching Buffy ever since my sister got me hooked on it. At first it was just a cute, amusing show but now I have all this emotional investment - that Buffy/Spike thing!

I meant to watch scrubs from the beginning but the whole fall schedule got thrown out of whack by Sept 11 so I have only seen it once or twice.

Undeclared is pretty funny too. Reminds me of my days in the dorm =)

chosephine
Jody Barsh

Post by chosephine » Jan 8th 2002, 10:01 pm

Wow. I thought I was the only person in the world who watched American High and was obsessed with Kaytee. Those cool glasses! Those witty and insightful songs! I agree that most everything on television is rubbish, but I do have to defend Buffy. I'm a recent convert- for the longest time I ridiculed the show and it's fans, but then I actually watched it and found that it is surprisingly good. The dialogue is usually hilariously funny (ie, Anya explaining why she thinks Martha Stewart is a witch: "Noone can do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.") and it can be very touching as well. There's an episode where Buffy's mom dies that is the most realistic depiction of someone losing a loved one that I've ever seen on TV. It's really the only thing that I enjoy watching lately, although I think Ed is kind of funny, too...

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 9th 2002, 9:37 am

I agree. I like ED. I also liked American High. Does anyone know if there is going to be a season two? If so....when????

k-man

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Jan 10th 2002, 7:34 pm

Wow, it's been a REALLY long time since I've been on this site. At least I still recognize a few names...

Buffy and Angel (which I still think of as one show, even though Angel has come out very nicely on its own lately) are my absolute favorite tv shows of all time...I know that may be a bit blasphemous on a forum dedicated to another show, but it's the truth. MSCL might hold the top spot if it was still on TV, or had stuck around for more than 19 episodes, but I guess we'll never know.

Buffy's allure, for me, I think comes largely from it's genre (horror-based with bits of drama, comedy and just about everything else) and the brilliant writing (even I'll admit there have been some dud [overall] episodes, but there are usually great scenes within those) of episodes like 4th season's "Hush" (where there is like half an hour of silence), 5th's "The Body" (dealing with the death of Buffy's mother...I think someone else mentioned that one too) and this season's musical (how can you NOT love it when the actors sang their own parts, bad notes and all?).

The characters are SO engrossing and constantly changing--characters that I despised upon original introduction (Wesley, Tara and Anya, for instance) have become some of the best, while previous favorites (Willow especially) have slipped from their pedestals (*not that I don't like the character of Willow anymore, she's just not the same sweet and innocent girl to whom I could relate back in seasons 1-3*).

I also love that nothing is ever what it seems and that pretty much anything can happen (Darla, a vampire who died in Buffy episode 1.07 came back to life in the finale of Angel's first season to finally be killed once again this [3rd] season; Doyle, an Angel first season main cast member was killed off after only 9 episodes, a plot that had been planned from the beginning; Spike, a vampire who started out as a fun adversary to Buffy in episode 2.03, had an on-again-off-again relationship with the show only to end up as a series regular AND Buffy's love interest--and that's just scratching the surface!).

All that to tell all those that seemed to not understand the thrill of Buffy that it's well worth your time, as long as you are not the kind of person who can't stand fantasy of any kind (like my best friend--I've learned to forgive her). If you like horror, like I do, I would suggest the episodes "Hush" and "Listening to Fear", which, I thought, were ones with genuinely freaky monsters.

But I've rambled long enough...I wish they would hurry up and put MSCL all out on DVD so I can re-watch them and get my fix--it's been a while.

Tracey

I mock you with my monkey pants

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 11th 2002, 3:09 am

>< I agree that most everything on television is rubbish, but I do have to defend Buffy. I'm a recent convert- for the longest time I ridiculed the show and it's fans, but then I actually watched it and found that it is surprisingly good. ><

I've watched about 10 minutes of a Buffy episode, and I didn't like what I was seeing. Maybe it was a sub-par episode. Also, I'm just not really interested in vampire stories, even though I know it's much more than that. The thing with Buffy is that I think a lot of people like it just because they like any type of show like that. They like Dawsons's Creek, they like MSCL, etc. But I've seen enough people who hate the teen angst genre, yet they still say they watch Buffy, so I don't imagine it's as bad as I believe it is. Having said that, I've given it enough of a chance and I can't get into it.

>< Wow. I thought I was the only person in the world who watched American High and was obsessed with Kaytee. Those cool glasses! Those witty and insightful songs! ><

Join the club. American High had *some* viewers - I guess you can't hope for much on PBS - but with the show came a rapid pack of Kaytee fans. There's a Yahoo mailing list and everything. Personally, I think she's great and has the potential to be huge in music. And as long as we're on the subject, I might as well blatantly plug a webpage: http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

As for American High, a second season is up in the air right now. It won an Emmy, but it's now on PBS, and it would cost money to produce - money that PBS probably doesn't have - and now that a precedent has been set, a second season wouldn't quite be the same. There is a very similar show premiering this Friday night on PBS called Senior Year. I saw a commercial for it and it looks a lot like American High.

And to stay on topic, anyone watching 24? The first few episodes were somewhere between average and good, but it's gotten much better ad the most recent episode was incredible. It really is like a movie. Great great show.

"Close your eyes, you can find all you need in your mind if you Take the Time" - Dream Theater

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 11th 2002, 10:27 am

Thanks for the info. on American High. I hope they do it again. We'll see. And thanks for the heads up on "Senior Year". I'll watch that tonite. I agree with you on Buffy. Everyone seems to love that but I just can't make it through a whole show. But I do watch Angel. (Figure that one out.)
I haven't seen "24" but people at work were raving the other day about how good it is. Said it was really, really good. Oh.....and just to tell the whole truth....( i hate to admit this ) but I did find myself watching the whole season of a certain show ( no names mentioned ) this past few months. Ya know....the one where they drop 16 people in the middle of Africa and let them scheme and back-stab their way to a million bucks. I swore I'd never watch another episode after Austrailia but maybe I'm pretty bored on Thursday nights and I don't have cable anymore.

k-man

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Jan 11th 2002, 4:24 pm

Hi Tracey: It's good to hear from you again! I enjoyed your post, partly because I have never seen "Buffy", but I was thinking of ordering the first season on DVD (I just got a DVD player). One question: Is the show predominantly comedy, drama, or how would you describe it?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 9:13 am

Current shows:
~ Alias
~ Witchblade
~ 24
~ Real World
~ Tracker
~ Mutant X
~ La Femme Nikita reruns

Favorites to watch on tape:
~ MSCL, of course
~ Highlander: The Series
~ Kindred: the Embraced

Shows I wish I could see again:
~ Forever Knight
~ Bands on the Run
~ American High, even though I caught on to this show late and didn't see all the episodes
~ Relativity

And regarding the discussion about Buffy, I've watched episodes here and there since I normally like anything related to vampires, but for some reason, I've never been able to get into the show. I think it's because I don't like horror movies much.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Hallie in Smallville??

Post by Joanna » Jan 13th 2002, 4:39 pm

I am in the UK and just caught a few minutes of 'Smallville' (a new TV series about Superman as a young man) --- correct me if I am wrong but is the actress that played the annoying Hallie in MSCL playing Superman's MUM??? She looked a little different and older but I'm sure it's her.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Hallie in Smallville??

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 7:10 pm

Joanna, Lisa Waltz played Hallie while apparently Annette O'Toole plays Clark Kent's mom in Smallville. I don't know that for a fact, but that's who I would guess you are thinking of based on what I found on the Internet Movie Database at <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/Title?0279600">http: ... 0279600</A>

And in looking at this thread again, I remember a few shows I omitted in my earlier post. Other shows I'd like to watch the reruns of are Pretender and Thirtysomething, and I wish I could see episodes of Degrassi Junior High again.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Re: Hallie in Smallville??

Post by Joanna » Jan 14th 2002, 11:11 am

Well, whoever they are, they sure look alike to me :0) lol!

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 15th 2002, 2:14 am

>< Shows I wish I could see again:
~ American High, even though I caught on to this show late and didn't see all the episodes ><

If PBS ever shows it again, which they have to eventually seeing as it won an Emmy, make sure you sit down and watch it. Some of the kids were kind of annoying, but when it was good, it very good. Actually realistic and often relatable. Yeah, suburban kids are spoiled, but the basic theme is commonplace.

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 15th 2002, 3:52 am

I am definitely hoping PBS shows this one again, dTheater, so if you hear anything, please let me know. The episodes I did catch were engrossing, but then again, I'm a bit of a sucker for any reality-type shows.

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Jan 15th 2002, 9:18 pm

It's good to be back (at least in a minimal capacity)!

Buffy is very hard to categorize (one of the reasons that it's always overlooked by the Emmys, despite some wonderful writing) because episodes go back and forth. Usually there is a streak of several episodes that have the same feel and then it breaks and switches gears for a while. If you're talking 1st season, I'd say it runs a little more in the cheesy, monster-of-the-week vein. You don't start getting to the more genuinely intensely dramatic stuff until the season finale (well, there's a touch in the episode "Nightmares"). I didn't start watching it until a few episodes into 2nd season, so I saw all of 1st season (except about half an episode that I caught because my mom was watching it) in retrospect after having read episode summaries. But anyway, I'd say there's a lot of comedy covering the drama early on (it becomes more subtle, I think, later).

Hope that helps! It's really hard for me to judge, seeing as I've seen it all so many times. First season is great, but 2nd is where it REALLY gets good!

Tracey

I mock you with my monkey pants