What are Lifer's watching these days?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Re: What are Lifer's watching these days?

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 15th 2009, 12:19 pm

I try not to miss Weeds, True Blood, and Lost. I also like Nurse Jackie, which comes on after Weeds on HBO on Mondays. Nurse Jackie stars Edie Falco from the Sopranos.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 16th 2009, 9:57 pm

grim4746 wrote:Have barely heard of The Riches but might just check it out on Jody's endorsement.
Uh-oh, I hope I didn't oversell. [Good to see you by the way Grim!]

I was a hard-core Weeds fan in the early seasons, but I'm kind of losing my interest, while I worship Mary Louise Parker, I basically hate Nancy now, which makes it hard for me to watch now. I miss the old characters, but I do love Andy and enjoyed the Jennifer Jason Leigh joining the show. [Trivia: The show's now filmed in my home town -- the pier where I used to work in high school and college, the art gallery of my 8th grade English teacher's brother, the shop I used to bake cookies for, all on screen]

I'm getting into Nurse Jackie, and for some reason can't quite keep up my enthusaism for True Blood that I had last year, but I haven't seen very much of either season as I don't always have access to cable. I've heard good things about Glee from numerous people, and am anxioulsy awaiting the return of CALIFORNICATION.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 18th 2009, 7:39 pm

I'm excited about the return of Psych and Project Runway!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

shanna-irl
Tino

Post by shanna-irl » Aug 15th 2009, 7:05 am

I'm liking True Blood at the minute, when I heard about it first I thought it was just another attempt to jump on the Twilight bandwagon, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I seem to spend the majority of my TV time watching box sets of stuff I watched years ago, I recently found the entire Ally McBeal box set for €10 in a second-hand DVD shop!!! Along with Ally, I've been watching MSCL, (of course!) Buffy, Are You Afraid of the Dark, The Secret World of Alex Mack, and I've dipped in and out of Dawson's Creek.

I just like watching stuff I watched years ago, I'm either stuck firmly in the past or they truly were great shows!!

I just remembered another old show I loved, "Ed". Another one to hunt down and add to my collection!!!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 19th 2009, 5:05 am

I just finished recently my "West Wing" marathon, it took my almost 15 months, but was really worth it. An amazing and well written show, especially in its early seasons, when Aaron Sorkin was the showrunner. Certainly one of the best dramas of its time. Too bad Sorkin couldn't recreate this success with "Studio 60 on the sunset strip". That show was a awkward mess.

Oh, and season three of "Mad Men" just started airing on amc! Best show on TV, no doubt about it here :)

I lost the interest in "True Blood" somewhere in season one. My mistake was reading the original novels beforehand. They are pretty good and I was looking forward to the tv adaptation. Unfortunately, the tv show differs quite a bit from the books, which irritated me way too much. But the opening credits are beautifully done, an amazing piece of art in a time where most shows cut their opening credits down to a one-second title graphic.

Krys
Tino

Post by Krys » Aug 21st 2009, 1:10 am

Oh I am completely addicted to True Blood, like an addict to V. (If you watch the show or read the books, you'd know what I mean :wink:) It's miles away from Twilight in my humble opinion.

I also like Flight of the Conchords, Sex and the City (wow, HBO theme much?), and Skins.

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Aug 21st 2009, 9:18 am

My husband got Flight of the Conchords as a gift. It's an aquired taste! LOL! We liked it though!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 20th 2009, 8:52 pm

so I love vampires. it's funny though because I've read all the books these new shows are based on, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. and I have to say that I enjoy both shows even though they are nothing like the books. in fact, The Vampire Diaries is way better as a show. the books were just too ridiculous.

I don't watch as much tv as I used to but, these are a few of my favs this season: Grey's Anatomy, Vampire Diaries, Lost (when it comes back ), Dollhouse, and Chuck (if/when it comes back). I've been more into watching dvds of cable shows though and that works out great because you don't have to wait between eps or between seasons. Madmen is one of the best written shows I"ve seen in a long time, and that's refreshing.

Plus 30 Rock is probably the funniest thing I've seen on tv. :P

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Oct 20th 2009, 10:39 pm

30 Rock is hilarious! I agree. Anyone catching "Modern Family?" It's had me in tears laughing, great new comedy.
change...

they've let you change.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2009, 5:11 am

It's still early in the season, but so far I'm watching How I Met Your Mother, Gossip Girl (I got sucked in and now I can't stop watching no matter how ridiculous the plots are!), Lie to Me, So You Think You Can Dance, Glee, Community, 30 Rock, The Office, Bones, Project Runway, Dollhouse, and Psych. Man, that seems like a lot more tv now that I'm listing the shows I watch every week.

Some of the shows are just old carry overs that I watch out of habit. Honestly, Project Runway and Bones haven't been that great but I still watch them because I'm used to watching.

I recently watched the online series Dorm Life, which was awesome. I also watched ctrl (another web series) and it was interesting in concept but if the episodes were longer, I probably wouldn't have watched the whole series.

I'm really bummed that Hulu plans to start charging for their site. I guess I better finish watching all those episodes of Rick Steves and Kitchen Confidential before then!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Oct 23rd 2009, 11:25 am

Hulu is going to charge? Anyone know hoh much? Bummer.
change...

they've let you change.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 24th 2009, 3:39 pm

ah, I forgot that I also watch Party Down. I think a lot of people on here would like this show. it's by the creators of Veronica Mars and has a lot of the same actors as well. very funny stuff. unfortunately it's like a cable show in that it only airs 12 eps at a time. season 2 premieres next april!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 12th 2009, 5:18 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:I just finished recently my "West Wing" marathon ... An amazing and well written show, especially in its early seasons, when Aaron Sorkin was the showrunner.
My whole life is basically a West Wing marathon. Especially since the stupid digitial TV conversion. Anyway, here's a quick shout out to Toby and Josh! No one warms my heart quite like Toby Ziegler, not even Graham Chase.
Sascha (sab) wrote:I lost the interest in "True Blood" somewhere in season one. My mistake was reading the original novels beforehand. They are pretty good and I was looking forward to the tv adaptation. Unfortunately, the tv show differs quite a bit from the books, which irritated me way too much. But the opening credits are beautifully done, an amazing piece of art in a time where most shows cut their opening credits down to a one-second title graphic.
I think I've probably said this before, but I was all ready to dismiss True Blood, and then I saw the credits, and they literally won me over. Yes, True Blood had me, but it lost me. The actors are great, the stories are grating. I tried reading one of the books and couldn't stand it. Plus, acceptance of one mythologcal creature is enough for me; S. Meyer's wolves is as much as I'll bend on that, and that's still a little too much.

Natasha (candygirl) wrote:Gossip Girl (I got sucked in and now I can't stop watching no matter how ridiculous the plots are!)
I am totally in that boat! This week's was especially bad, saving Dan Humphrey's little dance, 'cuz that was hilarious and the topic of a lot of texting. I watch b/c of Blair & Chuck, but that's getting old too. (This show is honestly the only time I use my actual TV; I'm not proud.)

I recently finished seasons 1 & 2 of SKINS, and really enjoyed them! I've only seen clips from season 3, and while I'm sure the new cast is goo, I'm going to miss Anwar, Sid, cassie and the rest!

CALIFORNICATION'S still going strong, and though some people said hardly anything happened, I really loved this newest Entourage season. I'm only two episodes into CURB, so I'm going to wait to pass judgement, but's it's never failed yet. It's "pretty, pretty, pretty good".

I'm going to have to look into Dorm Life and Party Down, those both sound good. There's also a promo fpr a second season to 2/8 Life, which will be super amazing I'm sure. (Love that show's use of A Brief Smile songs).
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Sanvean17
Tino

Post by Sanvean17 » Jul 31st 2010, 11:45 am

Simpsons, Roseann, & The X Files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My heart, my sacred heart.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 9th 2010, 12:56 pm

So, allegedly, MTV just picked up a pilot that will air in the spring - a scripted drama based on the community where I work. The writers just came and talked with the drama kids -- showed them the pilot and then asked for feedback and story ideas. The show was originally titled "That Girl", but as that was a show in the '60s I used to watch on Nick at Nite (remember when they didn't just play Fresh Prince and Roseanne?), I don't know that that title will stick. It has been described as a mix between MSCL and Juno. Sounds good, although I don't see a lot that would fit that description in my day to day life. Interested to see how this pans out, and, if it happens, what community reaction will be...