What are Lifer's watching these days?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 16th 2003, 2:09 pm

I have one word to sum up Kim Cattrall's career:

MAHONEY!

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 16th 2003, 6:37 pm

shorty wrote:I also love The Real World and OZ, although they show it really late over here in England (black shows are always put on really late).
What's a "black show"? Anyway, I don't have cable, but as for the shows I like to watch: That 70s Show and The Simpsons are the ones that I like to watch fairly regularly. I like to watch stuff that is on TLC, Discovery, History channel, A&E (the biographies), E! (bios again). I don't watch TV all that much. Only when I'm at my parents' house! (They have cable, btw.) I watch movies usually if I'm going to watch something.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 16th 2003, 6:49 pm

I love That 70s Show! Fez is hilarious.

The Simpsons, that goes without saying.

:D

Anyone watching the new Star Search? At first I was kind of disappointed that Arsenio was the new host, but he's pretty good. I am very disappointed that they only have four categories right now. I miss the dance categories! And what's up with the "model" category (as opposed to the old "spokesmodel" category)? Ehhh.

I think Ed is a great show, but I always forget to watch it (I rarely watch tv on Wednesdays). My boyfriend used to watch Boston Public every week (mostly to see if Harvey would say anything funny or offensive), and I went through a phase of watching Third Watch every week, but now I only watch it sporadically.

Tuesday is TV night at our house - That 70s Show, Buffy, 24, the Shield, and (as much as I hate to admit it) the Real World, more out of habit (I have been watching that stupid show since the first time they were in New York). Now that American Idol is starting up again, I'm going to need TiVo - my VCR can't handle all this action! I already had to give up Gilmore Girls, but come on - can't they move ONE of these Tuesday night shows to another night or time slot?

:D

I watched John Doe the first few weeks (and only because I made an effort to watch the premiere of Firefly, but I have quit watching it) - honestly Friday night I'm not really a tv watcher so I haven't seen it for ages. I'll probably just end up reading the recaps at television without pity.

Sascha, what do you think of Everwood? I have heard nothing but good things, but I haven't gotten around to watching it.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 17th 2003, 10:02 am

Candygirl - I can't believe you gave up Gilmore Girls. That is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. :wink:

And I love Television Without Pity. The recaps crack me up. Have you read their recaps of MSCL? Last year before I stumbled onto this site and learned about the DVDs, I would read the MSCL recaps every day.

Also, Omar's recaps of Smallville are classic. :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 17th 2003, 10:34 am

Candygirl, I thought I was the only person who watched Ed around here. I have to say I thought the first part of this season sucked bilge water but this week's ep. was far better than the previous. Now that Angel is on Wed. nights, I guess between Ed and Angel, Wed. is now my TV night. Everwood looks really good but I am purposefully avoiding it so as not to get sucked in.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

TV

Post by lance » Jan 17th 2003, 1:34 pm

Ahemm,

Offical of course since I am back in Grad school all my time is devoted to the pursuit of enlightment and study :roll:

Unoffically, I am going to be watching Farscape, Angel and Buffy whenever I get the chance. Simpsons I have not watched as much, partly because I have not liked them as much in recent seasons and partly due to a time conflict with church.

Of course it is only 3 months, 12 days until Babylon 5: Season 2 comes out! Not that I am counting or anything :roll:

Best,

Lance Man

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Re: TV

Post by K-man » Jan 17th 2003, 2:12 pm

lance wrote:Unoffically, I am going to be watching Farscape, Angel and Buffy whenever I get the chance.
Lance Man

I for one am very glad Angel is back. I think I liked it better on Sun. though.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

shorty

Post by shorty » Jan 20th 2003, 11:01 am

Kristin asked me what is a 'black show'? I just meant shows that have a majority of 'black' (people of African or Carribean descent) people in are more often than not, shown quite late here in London, when the majority of people have gone to bed, which I find really irritating. :x

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 20th 2003, 8:37 pm

Thanks for the answer. I just never heard a term like that before. I would be irritated by that too. Sounds a little like discrimination to me. I thought maybe you meant black comedy or a dark-mood drama or something. (I haven't seen Oz, but I have seen Real World. Not much lately, though.)
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2003, 9:10 pm

Maybe Oz is shown late at night because of its content rather than the racial makeup of the cast (or maybe even because the show is from the US). I would hope so, especially since the majority of the cast isn't black. There are definitely some main characters who are of African or Caribbean descent, but they represent only one of the factions within the prison. The Aryan, Italian, and Latino gangs are equally represented (as are the "others" who don't belong to any of those groups like Beecher, O'Reily, and Rebadow). I would hate to think that tv scheduling is so racist that they won't air shows with ethnic minorities during primetime.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 21st 2003, 2:22 am

Kristin wrote:Thanks for the answer. I just never heard a term like that before. I would be irritated by that too. Sounds a little like discrimination to me. I thought maybe you meant black comedy or a dark-mood drama or something. (I haven't seen Oz, but I have seen Real World. Not much lately, though.)
That is exactly how I took it, as a Black (dark) comedy. Never though of Oz as a 'black show'.

They probably show it late at night because the full frontals.

And remember after seeing Luke Perry on the show you can now know to judge a man's 'size' by the length of his sideburns...
:D :wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 21st 2003, 2:44 am

Yeah, I don't know exactly how liberal European tv is here, but they tend not to like showing schlong during primetime in America :wink:

shorty

Post by shorty » Jan 21st 2003, 9:57 am

I definitley agree with all your points, OZ is probably 'too realistic' to be shown any earlier, just like MSCL being axed because people perhaps prefer watching elements of fanstasy as opposed to reality, or like to see things 'watered down' for primetime viewing. It's just that when positive 'black' films such as "Slam" for example are shown at two o'clock in the morning, I just think that those are the sort of films people need to see, if there is gonna be any positive representation of 'black' people in society. But again, I think a film like 'Slam' is just too 'real' or 'hardhitting' for a lot of people to handle. (By the way 'black' is a word commonly used to describe people of Carribean or African descent in England, I think most of us don't find it offensive, just like Caucasian people are called 'white', it's probably just laziness on everyone's part!)

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 21st 2003, 2:05 pm

Cable Company Official Answer:

HBO refrains from showing most R rated content until after at least 8pm and ussually till 10 on things that are considered controversial. Although they are know to move things up to earlier timeslots especially during free weekends and such.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jan 22nd 2003, 10:49 am

I split off the Gilmore Girls Discussion to its own thread to make it easier for folks to catch up and join in.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand