Life Unexpected

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Life Unexpected

Post by Brunkster » Mar 30th 2010, 8:05 pm

Has anyone else seen this CW drama from Liz Tigelaar? One of the stars is Shiri Appleby of Roswell fame. I've seen all the episodes so far although I can't really say I've fallen in love with the show. It oscillates between poignant themes (family, acceptance, loyalty, teen- and mid-life angst, etc.) and fairly non-credible dialogue and character situations. The best of the show is very good, but so far I have found it to be a bit inconsistent. . .almost as if they haven't decided what the show is quite yet. Any thoughts?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Life Unexpected

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 31st 2010, 2:04 am

Yeah, I'm kind of right there with you. I missed the first episode, and I think another one, but I've been tuning in -- it's replaced Gossip Girl as the one show I actually turn my tv on to watch (I've lost patience for LOST -- I can't believe myself, but there it is. Maybe DVD. If I could figure out how to watch GLEE, I'd be doing that, but really everything's so much more satisfying on DVD or On Demand, which I I have to go to my sister's for -- I still have two more Big Love eps!) Wow. I really got off topic.
Ok, Life Unexpected -- I find the two girls likeable, if not charming; I'm watching, but I agree, it's kind of predictable, derivative, and emotional exploitive. They keep creating the same situations over and over, and I'm tired of them dragging the potential romance between K & B. One of the things I originally found interesting was that these two were never a couple, it isn't an epic love sory like Lorelai and Chris -- I thought maybe we'd see something new (and particulary thought that storyline would be dropped, at least for a while, after the dance, but, no). I wouldn't call it a Gilmore Girls / Juno as it was advertised, but I'll finish the season out. I watched all of the Quarter Life webisodes, but could never really say that I liked it... (I'm much more a fan of 1/8 Life) :mrgreen:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Mar 31st 2010, 12:16 pm

Yup, part of me wants to see Kate and Baze together just so that they and Lux can live happily ever after in a stable family unit. But then I think to myself - how boring and mainstream is that? I think that script has been written hundreds of times. It would be nice to see them tackle the challenging dynamic of split families. Oh well. . .we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

I really did like quarterlife, but I confess that was in no small part due to the fact that I though Bitsie Tulloch was outrageously cute. 1/8 life? I haven't heard of that. Are you referring to 2/8 life?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 31st 2010, 7:26 pm

That's exactly what I mean; typo! 1/8 is half as clever :wink:

I agree; she's pretty great. And I liked the struggle with the landlord, maybe because at the time our building was closing and we were all pushed out : (
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Apr 1st 2010, 3:49 pm

Oh no! Did you also have a hunk activist come to your rescue?