Is there anything else as good?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
newtomscl
Frozen Embryo

Is there anything else as good?

Post by newtomscl » Aug 18th 2009, 3:54 am

Hey ive only just discovered mscl in the last week or so when my gf borrowed it to watch. I was just wondering are there any other teen drama's that compare to this show (ie about real lives, no magic demons or other weird things, that are as well written as this).
Its 15 years on and ive just seen it for the 1st time and i think its still streets ahead of anything ive seen on tv up to this point.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Re: Is there anything else as good?

Post by stburr91 » Aug 18th 2009, 6:01 pm

First of all, welcome to the site.

I haven't found any teen drama to come close to MSCL. However, I did really like the show "Life as we know it". Similar to MSCL in many ways, but more from the male prospective. It's seems to be a love it or hate it kind of show.

Here's a link to part 1 of the pilot episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IC85qqQau4
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 19th 2009, 4:37 am

Personally, I currently recommend "Friday Night Lights" (NBC), which is co-produced/created by Jason Katims, a former writer for "My So-Called Life". On first sight it's a show about high-school football, but it's primarily a realistic portrayal of teenage life in small towns. Also, the British production "Skins" is currently one of my favorite teen/twen shows. It pretty harsh sometimes, but really worth watching.

Other than that, you might be interested in some older shows which are no longer airing on TV, but should be available on DVD. "Freaks and Geeks", "Veronica Mars", "Life as we know it" and "Felicity" come to mind.

newtomscl
Frozen Embryo

Post by newtomscl » Aug 19th 2009, 5:33 pm

thanks for that guys im from australia so i probably wont be able to check those new ones but ill look around for some of those ones on dvd.
we finished watching it last night was rather depressing knowing it was the last episode but then i thought about it and at least something this good has been made to set a benchmark and it actually got a full season. i just hope one day a network is brave enough to sign up a show that is this good and keep it going

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Tish » Dec 12th 2009, 2:17 am

no there's nothing good on tv...maybe in the 90s but not now...maybe except for new adventures of the old christine,2 and a half men, the office, but even most of these don't measure up to mscl...maybe party of five... :?
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"