Felicity

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Re: "Good to know you've seen the softer side of Sears,

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 22nd 2002, 5:19 am

fnordboy wrote:The movie has Mr. Pee Wee Herman in it (not as pee wee though).
And this is, in some unimagineable way, a good thing?
The show could never top the movie...ever...atleast in my eyes. Besides Kristy Swanson is a lot better on the eyes than Sarah Michelle Gellar <shudder> what number nose job is she on now?
Both kind of oddballs to me.

Gonna have to catch the flick and then comment.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Re: "Good to know you've seen the softer side of Sears,

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 22nd 2002, 8:15 am

So-Called Loon wrote:
fnordboy wrote:The movie has Mr. Pee Wee Herman in it (not as pee wee though).
And this is, in some unimagineable way, a good thing?
The show could never top the movie...ever...atleast in my eyes. Besides Kristy Swanson is a lot better on the eyes than Sarah Michelle Gellar <shudder> what number nose job is she on now?
Both kind of oddballs to me.

Gonna have to catch the flick and then comment.
I know what you mean but seriously, he was nothing like Pee Wee. His big death scene was entirely improvised in one long shot, with many of the crew stifling their laughter off camera! I still have no idea how Joss managed to get Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, Paul Ruebens, Luke Perry, and Kristy Swanson together on one set... :o

Yes, let is know what you think when you see it. :)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 13th 2003, 11:55 am

Just noticed that amazon lists "Felicity: The complete second season" for release on 24th of June 2003. Wow. That means the first set probably did sell pretty good...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008GQ33/

But what's up with the second season of "Once And Again"? No listing at amazon.com so far. Does anybody know whether Buena Vista has any plans to release it too?

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Felicity Season 2 out today!!!

Post by kidbro77 » Jul 22nd 2003, 12:27 pm

I am sooooo excited!!! The Season 2 DVD of Felicity comes out today!!! And it's PACKED with goodies! Featuring 5 audio commentaries (including one on the very original "Help For the Lovelorn" episode - this is the one that was filmed Twilight Zone style!) , as well as the Emmy spoof that the Felicity cast did on shows like NYPD Blue, ER, and X Files! I remember seeing this spoof aired on the Emmys in 1999 I think it was, and it was hillarious, and I kicked myself for not having taped it. But now it's here included on the DVD! Along with the never before seen half hour pilot, and Keri Russell's audition tape!!! HOW FUN!!!!!!!!! (yes, totally trying to plug the DVD set here! not just cause it's an AWESOME show, but also cause I'd like to have it get good sales and thus, hopefully guarantee that they'll release Seasons 3 and 4 as well...)
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2003, 3:31 pm

From tvshowsondvd:
Ken Cancelosi wrote us rather upset with his new Felicity: Season 2 set. Here's what he had to say:

The DVD transfers of these shows (Felicity - Season 2) are completely intact and they appear to be exactly like the WB broadcasts in editing, acting and scoring (by W.G. Snuffy-Walden) except in one major area -- all of the folk/rock songs used to underscore the emotions of the characters (songs from major artists like Aimee Mann and Counting Crows) HAVE BEEN REPLACED by unknown artists.

This is a problem I think we'll see more of. A lot of shows (WB shows in particular) used popular music in the episodes. When the music was licensed, it wasn't licensed for home video distribution, since who would have thought that people would actually want to own the entire series (and pay money for it). Now that TV on DVD is a big deal, these companies are having to go back and license the music for DVD. This is a VERY costly and time consuming process. Many of the companies can't justify being millions of dollars in the hole just to license the music, so they're left with two choices; cut the music or don't release the show. It's a situation they can't win. If they don't release the show then the fans complain that the studio doesn't care about them, but if they do release it and cut the music...well, this is an example of what happens.

So what's the answer? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one. If the music has been altered I think it's up to the studio to let the customer know. I'd also suggest you call their consumer line and let them know. Just remember the person on the other end of the line wasn't the one that changed the music.
Same thing that happened with Felicity S1 - now the question is would you rather have a DVD set with different music (like Felicity) or the prospect of no DVDs at all because of the licensing (Wonder Years, Miami Vice)?

*sigh*
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 23rd 2003, 3:37 pm

candygirl wrote: Same thing that happened with Felicity S1 - now the question is would you rather have a DVD set with different music (like Felicity) or the prospect of no DVDs at all because of the licensing (Wonder Years, Miami Vice)?

*sigh*
That is a tough call. It is dependent on the show IMO. Something like the Wonder Years needs to have those songs intact IMO. Miami Vice it wouldnt make a difference to me, but I also wouldnt buy that :D

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 23rd 2003, 8:33 pm

Thankfully, the music on MSCL is intact. I can't imagine the series without all of the great songs.

I agree that it would be hard to watch some beloved shows without the music from the show. The music chosen by the producers is chosen for many reasons. You could change the entire meaning of an episode by changing one song. Ugh! It would be a hard choice for me to purchase DVDs of the shows I love if they were changed. I probably wouldn't be able to adjust to the changes.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2003, 9:58 pm

As much as I love the music and believe that it was chosen for a reason, if I HAD to choose between having a show with an altered sountrack versus never having the show, I'd be willing to go with #1. Thank goodness we ended up averting that issue with MSCL (close call with So-Called Angels notwithstanding).

:D

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jul 24th 2003, 11:51 am

i agree with candygirl. rather have the show than not have it all.

but i have to say, i watched felicity season 1 the first time it aired and bought the dvd set....and i didn't notice any difference. the music they picked to replace the original was very good. then again, the first time i saw felicity was 5ish years ago :D .

at any rate, the quality of the music doesn't seem to be that bad.

does anyone know of other dvd series with this problem? i'm curious about buffy, since i have seasons 1-4, but i didn't start watching the series on tv 'til season 5.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 24th 2003, 1:17 pm

hurtstolookatyou wrote:does anyone know of other dvd series with this problem?
IIRC the Real World Season 1 DVD has all the music replaced, but to me it is a show that really isn't dependent on it, so it is not the end of the world to me.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 2nd 2003, 5:08 pm

Info from tvshowsondvd:
Yesterday afternoon the UltimateDisney.com website posted the following information about Felicity DVDs:

Season 3 of "Felicity" ("Junior Year") will...arrive in July, containing the 17 episodes that aired in 2000-01. The third season of the drama about an angst-ridden coed at a New York university includes guest appearances by John Ritter, Matt Doherty, Tyra Banks, Kristin Lehman, Kenan Thompson (Good Burger), and Teri Garr.

You can read the entire article they posted here (our thanks to Mark Herzberg for letting us know about it). Disney/Buena Vista has not issued any press release about this yet; UltimateDisney.com is the only source that has provided this information so far. We'll follow up with our sources at The Mouse and try to get more details for you. Stay tuned!
FYI - the article link provided above also contains info about Boy Meets World and Popular being released on DVD.

kidbro77
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kidbro77 » Jan 15th 2004, 5:27 pm

Well I for one can't wait for Season 3 of Felicity to come out... To me, that was by far the BEST season of the show!

And Popular on DVD?!! I have died and gone to heaven! In the words of Nicole Julian, *thankyou*
-------------------------------
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/oyvavoy

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2004, 10:10 pm

S3 info from tvshowsondvd:
We told you to expect it, and now we have the details for you, thanks to our good friends at DVDAnswers.com

Buena Vista Home Entertainment and Touchstone Television present Felicity - Season 3, a 5-disc DVD box set that collects all 17 episodes of Felicity's junior year. This dramatic and moving season follows the life of Felicity and her emotional adventures at a New York university. Guest appearances include the late, great John Ritter (8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter), Matt Doherty (Ghost World), supermodel Tyra Banks (Coyote Ugly), Kristin Lehman (Way Of The Gun), Kenan Thompson (Good Burger), and Teri Garr. Rated TV-14.

On DVD, Felicity - Season 3 includes:
Audio commentaries
Outtakes
Behind-the-scenes and making of featurette
"Where Are They Now?" retrospective
And more!

DVD bonus materials are unrated, and subject to change. Street date is July 20th, and expect a $59.99 SRP for this 5-disc set. Stay tuned for cover art, which has not been released just yet.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 6th 2004, 9:53 pm

FYI the release date for Felicity S3 has been changed to September 21. You can view the cover art here.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 23rd 2004, 4:50 am

According to several websites, Felicity is due to be released in early 2005 - no specific date or special features yet.