OCTOBER ROAD

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: OCTOBER ROAD

Post by Bacchante » Feb 19th 2011, 3:53 am

(Trying hard not to read the post immediately above cause there might be a spoiler in it!)

So I started watching this show, and I'm almost half-way through the second season. I really liked it at first, and I'm possibly even partially addicted to it. However, I see some weaknesses. Some plot elements are trivial and way too predictable (e.g. Owen seeing his wife and Ikey when Ikey was just helping her out when she got stuck in the snow). Also, some story lines seem to not lead anywhere (Nick and Hannah?) and others develop in ways that are not psychologically believable (e.g. Nick having sex with Aubrey all of a sudden). I'd like to see if these things get fixed somehow later on, but if not, it would be sad cause the show did have potential. Too bad not every show can be perfect like MSCL ;)
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Feb 23rd 2011, 3:01 am

Okay, I take it back!

October Road is officially my second favorite show of all time. (And I'll miss it so much!)

(I thought I'd let everyone know :))

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Feb 23rd 2011, 10:34 am

Hi! I think the show's good points make up for it's flaws. I agree it had some flaws and agree with the ones you mentioned. But then I think about life and all the stupid things people do that don't seem to make sense and I think maybe October Road got it right after all lol.

If the show had been given more time I like to think all the kinks would have been worked out. It wasn't given enough of a chance. All the important things were there....good writing(although sometimes slightly cheesy!), well thought out characters and an excellent cast. You can tell the same story over and over and people will still watch if you have all those things!!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Feb 23rd 2011, 10:49 am

Maybe the kinks would have been worked out, or maybe its awesomeness would have gotten "diluted" somehow, who knows. It's always scary to think of how something nearly perfect could have continued...

I agree that the writing was slightly cheesy at times, but I thought the acting was quite good for the most part. I thought some story lines were more realistic than others (and more meaningful too). I think some people thought that the way some of the characters talked was strange, but it seemed fine to me, and it seemed natural too.

But I think the show's greatest strength was just the atmosphere it created-- an atmosphere of home, I guess.