Friday Night Lights

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Friday Night Lights

Post by Nothingman » Mar 22nd 2007, 6:42 pm

Is anyone else watching this on NBC? If you're not, you should be. It's high school drama without all the OC/MTV life in the hills BS. The characters are real and have depth. But the best part is how it doesn't pull any punches, it show's it how it is. They even have a "Jordon Catillano", a misguided, broken home, troubled kid played by Taylor Kitsch. He even wears a similar jacket, and has long hair of course.

You can watch the episodes here for free:
http://www.nbc.com/Friday_Night_Lights/
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 23rd 2007, 5:27 am

I completely agree. Friday Night Lights is one of the best shows on TV right now and I predict it will be soon a "cult" fan favorite like "My So-Called Life" and "Freaks and Geeks". Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton show the best portrayal of a teenager's parents since Tom Irwin and Bess Armstrong on our little beloved show. A few weeks ago, they had the "sex talk" with their 15-year-old daughter and it was one of the best-acted scenes on tv this year. Chandler and Britton really deserve some Emmy nods next year. Some of the "teenage" actors look a bit too old though.

The best thing is: NBC is actually considering renewing the show for a second season (since most of their new shows except for "Heroes" bombed).

"Friday Night Lights" is co-produced and co-written by Jason Katims, who was a writer on "My So-Called Life".

Highly, highly recommended. And no, it's not (primarily) a sports show.

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Mar 24th 2007, 12:06 am

I'm going to have to check this one out. Thanks!
Teri

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 24th 2007, 3:12 am

I watched the first few episodes and then I think I had some sort of scheduling conflict AND THEN they moved it to another night and I didn't know about it! I do love the parents and their relationship with each other and their daughter. I'll have to try to catch up on, uhhh, most of the season.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Mar 26th 2007, 6:12 pm

The first few episodes follow the book's story pretty closely, and it seems to be like Varsity Blues the tv show. But after a few episodes it establishes enough back story to really get going, and now it's starting to get really good. Football is just becoming a backdrop.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Mar 26th 2007, 9:42 pm

I have to say that I thought it was going to be a varsity blues type of show, so I didn't even give it a chance. I might though, if I can find the time for a new show!

its funny because I'm so critical of shows set in high school when my fav shows are about teens: MSCL and Buffy!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 5th 2007, 6:03 pm

This week's episode featured another interesting "My So-Called Life" deja-vu. The final scenes between Tyra, Landry and Tim Riggins felt like the famous last scene of MSCL with Angela, Brian and Jordan Catalano.

What an amazing show. Last weeks episode "Mud Bowl" and this one featured some of the best acting and writing I've seen all season on any show. If you're a MSCL fan and like quality tv, then you've got to give this show a chance.

Oh, and there are now more signs that FNL will be renewed for a second season.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Apr 6th 2007, 4:52 pm

I just started watching the show last week, (Because of this thread.) and I'll say that the show is growing on me. I'm still figuring out who's who, and what's going on. It's not the best new show this year, but it's not a bad show.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 6th 2007, 7:44 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:"Friday Night Lights" is co-produced and co-written by Jason Katims, who was a writer on "My So-Called Life".
And W.G. Snuffy Walden of MSCL does the music!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 9th 2007, 7:51 pm

stburr91 wrote:I just started watching the show last week, (Because of this thread.) and I'll say that the show is growing on me. I'm still figuring out who's who, and what's going on. It's not the best new show this year, but it's not a bad show.
Don't forget you can watch all the episodes online at the NBC site for free if you want to catch up. :)

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Apr 10th 2007, 9:03 am

Nothingman wrote:
stburr91 wrote:I just started watching the show last week, (Because of this thread.) and I'll say that the show is growing on me. I'm still figuring out who's who, and what's going on. It's not the best new show this year, but it's not a bad show.
Don't forget you can watch all the episodes online at the NBC site for free if you want to catch up. :)
I didn't know that, thanks, I'll check them out.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 10th 2007, 1:35 pm

Season Finale this week on wednesday night. The preview looks great, and it looks to be setting up for a strong possible second season. There is so much happening with all the characters right now that you forget there's even a football game to be played.

I sure hope this isn't the last we see of the show. Will someone at NBC please believe in this show and stop worrying about ratings. What does it say about society when Dancing with the Stars is on it's 3rd season and FNL can't get a renewal?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 11th 2007, 3:36 pm

"Friday Night Lights" has been renewed for a complete second season (22 episodes). Yay!

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » May 14th 2007, 6:59 pm

:onfire: This is cause for the pig pen with ADD emoticon.

Horray!

agmay
Frozen Embryo

Re: Friday Night Lights

Post by agmay » Nov 26th 2007, 9:54 pm

Greetings! Can't believe you exist!

Just received my DVD of MSCL. Love it as much now as 14 yrs. ago when I was 35. Still has so much truth and resonance for me.

Friday Night Lights is a West Texas, blue-collar, football-loving, God-fearing relative of MSCL. If you're reading this forum, you will LOVE this show. Recommend watching S1 first. Lineage like Jason Katims and W. Snuffy Walden set expectations very high. Although they might be re-cycling some characters on FNL: Coach and his wife are the strong but human emotional sun around which all other characters orbit, with their own satellites: damaged, sensitive drunk best-friend; smart/quirky cute girl; redemptive sex-bomb boy; undeclared lovers; absent parents. This is a very dark and sophisticated show, probably not suited for viewers under 14.

A few other similarities:
Plaid flannel and great hair everywhere
Illiteracy
Alcohol abuse
Absent parents
Unrequited love
Age-inappropriate relationships
Sexy cars

And as to the WGA strike? I'd rather pay the artists than the lawyers.